Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my G19 Gen4 and love it. Will be getting my CC license very soon. I've been getting caught up in researching the debate on the different gr's, models, etc of 9mm ammo. I just realized that if I was ultimately concerned with getting the most stopping power our my CC gun, I probably wouldn't have decided on a 9mm in the first place.

So here's the real question/advice that I need. I'm looking for an effective JHP to carry, AND a cheap range ammo that has a very similar recoil and accuracy. Now that I have a lot of free time, I'll probably be averaging 400-500 practice rounds a month during decent weather. I'm not really concerned about the price of my carry ammo, but I want to be able to get a lot of practice with a cheap round that won't throw me off if I ever have to use that carry ammo.

So has any one found a good carry/practice combo of rounds that I'm looking for?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I can't say I have compared my carry ammo and practice ammo, but I carry Winchester ranger T series. Sometimes I shoot Winchester FMJ at the range, but I usually find that Federal Champion is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Speer Gold dot 124gr +p and Ranger 127gr +p+ are top of the heap for carry ammo.

For practice, I go through a lot of WWB 115gr from Walmart. For a hotter load, Speer's 124gr Lawman & Winchester's 124gr +p "Nato" can be found for about $.22/round online.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Try shooting the same weight/ grain for both. I have had good success with 124 gr. Speer Lawman over the years. They make it in a JHP and FMJ. Other choices might be American Eagle, Fiochhi and PMC. Fiochhi is my favorite. Shoots clean and is consistent. And they are the only company which makes a 158 grain 9mm round, which I love shooting IDPA with because of its very manageble recoil allowing for quicker second or third shots.

Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I dont know if there is a real anser to you question. Just practice with your range ammo with breaking the trigger without moving the muzzle and you will be doing great.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Try shooting the same weight/ grain for both. I have had good success with 124 gr. Speer Lawman over the years. They make it in a JHP and FMJ. Other choices might be American Eagle, Fiochhi and PMC. Fiochhi is my favorite. Shoots clean and is consistent. And they are the only company which makes a 158 grain 9mm round, which I love shooting IDPA with because of its very manageble recoil allowing for quicker second or third shots.

+1 on the same weight round for practice/carry

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

Agree here. You do want to shoot your carry ammo so you will know how it will react in a tactical situation but I don't think you will be wanting to shoot the expensive stuff at the range all the time. Depending on what you buy there can be a $10 difference in box even more if you buy by the case. Stick with the same weight bullet for consistency.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just one for both? WWB hollow point maybe?
Cheers
RW
That works for 1 single round for both...For me personally I would want to step up in the carry load...to a more performance oriented round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts