Glock Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking for advice on selecting a gun safe for my new Glock 19. I am on Day 4 of my 10 day holding period, so I do not have the firearm yet. The main purpose of the G19 is for home defense. As such, I think it needs to be stored in the master bedroom in an easily accessible, but secure way.

My wife is not happy with the idea of having a gun in the house. (She forgot that I also have my father's old S&W 38 Special). In addition to the G19, I would like to store 3 or 4 loaded magazines (10 rounds each is the CA limit) and 1-4 boxes of ammo. Most of the ammo is meant for practice at the range. I am not planning for a massive shootout in my home.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to store the gun? I also have two teenagers at home. I am thinking of the following BARSKA Biometric Safe:

Amazon.com: BARSKA Biometric Safe: Sports & Outdoors

Assuming it is solidly built, I like that I can set it up to only open to my fingerprint. There is no way my wife would ever use a gun in self defense. So if the safe only opens for me, great. I would probably mount it to a stud in my closet wall. I know it would be best to be bedside, but my wife would never agree to having it out in the open like that.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this one? Can you recommend a better product? I am OK with spending up to $250 for a quality product that will 1) safely store my gun/ammo and 2) be reliable and easy to open for me.

FYI, I have seen this GunVault product at several shows. It is much less costly, but I prefer to stay away from a combo lock.

Amazon.com: Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe: Home Improvement

Thanks!
Chip

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Reactions: slickrocktom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fort Knox pistol safe. You'll should be able to fit pistol, mags & a couple of boxes of ammo. Not cheap, but great safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fort Knox pistol safe. You'll should be able to fit pistol, mags & a couple of boxes of ammo. Not cheap, but great safe.
Thanks for the suggestion. At first I thought you were joking with a name like Fort Knox. Then I did a quick search. Then I checked Amazon and Dean Safe - both were out of stock. Dean Safe had this message in bold red: We are out of stock on this item. Due to extraordinary demand, Fort Knox is heavily back ordered and cant tell us when it will ship. Based on this I may need to find an alternative.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anything about safes but I do know about anti-gun woman and you need to break that stigma she has. Buy a 22 and take her to the range and teach her. You don't fear something you understand

and this safe will be quicker

Amazon.com: Gunvault GVB1000 Mini Vault Biometric Gun Safe: Home Improvement
Thanks for replying. I do agree that I will need to get my wife to the range at some point so she at least understands the gun a bit more. It will likely be a while before I can do that. I looked at your suggestion, but it seems they have a problem with the door sticking when using the biometric option. I will do some more searching for reviews of that model.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
like I said I know nothing about small gun safes. I say the best thing to do is get on YT and see what other say. as far mama goes offer her a range trip and a lunch or dinner afterwords. it helps to give her something in return for being open minded.... bread always taste better when buttered up...;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know anything about safes but I do know about anti-gun woman and you need to break that stigma she has. Buy a 22 and take her to the range and teach her. You don't fear something you understand
I agree. My wife always was intrigued by guns but they made her a little nervous. I took her to the range a few times and she now owns a 26, and her grouping is within the size of a lemon at 25'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I must have married your wife's long lost sister. Look up the LocSAF PBS-001. A little higher than your price range but good quality. I got mine from Blue Dot Safes for 262 + shipping.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
some people will disagree with me but a lot of woman tend to be better shots then men

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any of these small bedside safes can be hacked up. They are good for blocking access to children and keeping owners from handling their firearm while still half asleep. They are not meant to be a 24 hr/day storage unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new G19 owner and tackled this subject recently as well. Based on a lot of opinions on this forum and others, it seems to be the conclusion that the bedside lock boxes are not sufficient for securing a weapon from unauthorized access so much as an access deterrent. Meaning, they won't stop someone trying to get to the gun, if they really want to get to it (crooks, determined teen). But it'll slow them down.

I'd recommend getting a house safe for everything so everything is secured when you're away from the weapons, especially if you have older kids in the house (older being anything more than a crawling kid). You can get a decent safe for about $400+. It'll be about the size of a 1 drawer filing cabinet. For quick access at night, have a separate bedside lock box like the one you're looking at. Opinions vary on using biometrics because people report issues with access if the reader is dirty or your fingers are sweaty, etc.

For a lock box, I went with Fas1Safe: FAS1 SAFE, LLC He's on backorder right now, so I'm waiting for it. It'll give me time to think about where to mount it.

There is also the Titan Gun Vault, which is very similar: | TITAN | Gun Safe | Pistol Vault | from Titan Security Products Inc. (Official Website)

My plan is to have the gun in the lock box at night and to transfer it back to the safe when I wake. It's a little bit of a hassle, but after a short time, it'll be like brushing my teeth every morning. I am just not comfortable with the light-grade build of a lock box, for storage of a loaded weapon.

From what I've researched, I decided that a push button combo lock box would be the most fail-safe type of lock. But this is all personal preference and based on what I was able to find and read on the internet and view on Youtube.

But in any decision you make, be sure you cover gun safety with your kids. Mine are still young and we're at the don't touch it and find an adult immediately - stage.

Best of luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts