Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Combat Handguns my story about a close call at a convenience store in a "not so good" neighborhood. They have a "It happened to me" column. Just a nice little story about a possible hold-up or harm to possibly me and/or store clerk and patrons. Got a check in the mail today for $100! They featured my story in the December 2012 Combat Handguns issue. Picked up the magazine today. It is titled "Disabled, Not Defenseless". If anyone gets a chance to read it, please do. It happened in broad daylight by the way. If anyone would like to read my story, I will gladly email it to you. Too much for a post but IMO an interesting story! (Send me your email address if you want to read it). :eek:

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Give us the reader’s digest version

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give us the reader’s digest version
Well, after going to a VA appointment, I stopped to get a cold drink. I was in a neighborhood that was safe when I was a kid but after living in Wisconsin for the last 25
years, I had not realized how some of the neighborhoods in Birmingham are now. So, as I was pulling in to park, I noticed a man drinking something out of a brown paper sack near the dumpster. Thinking nothing of it, I walk in the store and immediately noticed he followed me in. As I went back to the soda cooler, he remained by the front door (still drinking out of his bag) watching EVERY move I made. As I waited in line to pay, he started to inch closer and closer to me. Approaching me from my back side and starting to get VERY close to me. So, when it was my turn to pay, and he was directly behind me, I lifted the back of my shirt to get my wallet intentionally showing that I had I weapon tucked safely in my IWB holster. He must have had a good look at that and left the store so fast that I didn't even see him go out the door. when I went back to the car, he was nowhere in sight. So, IMO I stopped either a robbery from me or the store clerk which also would have put the patrons in the store in a bad situation. Just a good feeling to know it's always there. And no, he wouldn't have been able to "snag" the gun from my holster as I had my hand positioned to draw if needed.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Once again...HooaH !...neat story...glad it all went down without incident..I've said it before..."Situational Awareness" is the key...more than your weapon, caliber, # of spare mags, or which GunSite class you attended...What??? you haven't attended GunSite Academy...? Me neither, lol...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Once again...HooaH !...neat story...glad it all went down without incident..I've said it before..."Situational Awareness" is the key...more than your weapon, caliber, # of spare mags, or which GunSite class you attended...What??? you haven't attended GunSite Academy...? Me neither, lol...
rowabi, I think the 2 of us could probably proctor our own gun academy! LOL! When I teach someone how to handle, carry, shoot and just be safe with guns, I make SURE they listen and understand. I know that there's a vast number of people that want to own guns and carry them, but if they aren't properly trained, the results could be a disaster! I love to share what knowledge I have and on the other side of the coin, listen when someone is telling me something that I don't already know! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
sounds like he though you were going to be an easy mark

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like he though you were going to be an easy mark
Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. I am a small man but have what I need to take care of myself and loved ones!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
rowabi, I think the 2 of us could probably proctor our own gun academy! LOL! When I teach someone how to handle, carry, shoot and just be safe with guns, I make SURE they listen and understand. I know that there's a vast number of people that want to own guns and carry them, but if they aren't properly trained, the results could be a disaster! I love to share what knowledge I have and on the other side of the coin, listen when someone is telling me something that I don't already know! :)
You're right...they need training...and you might have what it takes...
That sounds like a dream job...but only for a minute...and I'll tell you why...when it comes to serious, critical stuff...I don't tolerate "stupid" very well, in somebody's actions, attitudes, or even dumb statements...I really don't have the patience for that...I'm too critical of mistakes, and I really don't think I would enjoy it , even if I had the patience...I could own, run, and operate...but you wouldn't want to have me instructing at that level. Funny though, 'cause on the other side of the coin, I love to mentor young people, friends in the shooting sports, hunting, fishing...and I've done well at it...One on one, I'm loving it...for free...Formal instruction, for money, means there's a certain amount of "stupid" you're expected to put up with...Nope..............Run, Forrest, run...::rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Congrats ArmyCobra, both on your article and on your alert status and action. There are many ways to difuse a situation without firing a shot.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're right...they need training...and you might have what it takes...
That sounds like a dream job...but only for a minute...and I'll tell you why...when it comes to serious, critical stuff...I don't tolerate "stupid" very well, in somebody's actions, attitudes, or even dumb statements...I really don't have the patience for that...I'm too critical of mistakes, and I really don't think I would enjoy it , even if I had the patience...I could own, run, and operate...but you wouldn't want to have me instructing at that level. Funny though, 'cause on the other side of the coin, I love to mentor young people, friends in the shooting sports, hunting, fishing...and I've done well at it...One on one, I'm loving it...for free...Formal instruction, for money, means there's a certain amount of "stupid" you're expected to put up with...Nope..............Run, Forrest, run...::rolleyes:
I have to agree totally! I stopped going to this one indoor range because there is way too much "stupid" going on. The "range safety officer" is usually a 21 year old kid brandishing a .40 or .45 in open carry holster. He and the others pay absolutely no attention to the people on the lanes. All they care about is sweeping up brass. I have been so terrified there, that I left. You have people that just bought a gun doing the following.......not aiming downrange, just pointing the thing all over the place, no idea how to eject or load a magazine, always keep their finger INSIDE the trigger guard, not even a clue how to rack a slide! Then you have the wheel gun purchasers that have just bought themselves a nice new .44 or .357. They just load it up, cock it and usually have no idea how sensitive the trigger is when the hammer is cocked. I have actually seen "these" people drop the weapon because they weren't ready when it fired. I'm truly afraid someone is going to get killed or hurt very bad and I expressed just that to several store managers. With no results. So, bottom line, I don't need to be there. And, yes, I have actually yelled down to a stranger on a different lane "hey, keep that pointed down range and get your damn finger out of the trigger housing"!! They just look at me like I'm crazy, so, no thanks!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to agree totally! I stopped going to this one indoor range because there is way too much "stupid" going on. The "range safety officer" is usually a 21 year old kid brandishing a .40 or .45 in open carry holster. He and the others pay absolutely no attention to the people on the lanes. All they care about is sweeping up brass. I have been so terrified there, that I left. You have people that just bought a gun doing the following.......not aiming downrange, just pointing the thing all over the place, no idea how to eject or load a magazine, always keep their finger INSIDE the trigger guard, not even a clue how to rack a slide! Then you have the wheel gun purchasers that have just bought themselves a nice new .44 or .357. They just load it up, cock it and usually have no idea how sensitive the trigger is when the hammer is cocked. I have actually seen "these" people drop the weapon because they weren't ready when it fired. I'm truly afraid someone is going to get killed or hurt very bad and I expressed just that to several store managers. With no results. So, bottom line, I don't need to be there. And, yes, I have actually yelled down to a stranger on a different lane "hey, keep that pointed down range and get your damn finger out of the trigger housing"!! They just look at me like I'm crazy, so, no thanks!!
Oh, I forgot one more important fact! God forbid when you see one of these people have a FTF or FTE! They start pulling at this, tugging at that, pulling the trigger, everything! All the while, not paying any attention where it's pointed! I had to leave my lane on one occasion and walk over and clear an FTE for one guy and I told him, you need to get some training on everything related to your weapon and shooting safety. He didn't take to kindly to that, but I didn't care. As I was doing this for him, the "range safety officer" started to intervene. I looked at him and said "I got it".

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I remember years ago when at an outdoor range, the line was closed for shooting as the shooters went down to mark their targets (30yard), there was a man there in a boy scout uniform training scouts to shoot (this was in the 80's as I remember). As I turned from my target to go back to the line I see the man pointing a rifle looking thru the sights in my direction. I went in a crouch and called him a stupid SOB without thinking. He was real upset because I cursed in front of the kids!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember years ago when at an outdoor range, the line was closed for shooting as the shooters went down to mark their targets (30yard), there was a man there in a boy scout uniform training scouts to shoot (this was in the 80's as I remember). As I turned from my target to go back to the line I see the man pointing a rifle looking thru the sights in my direction. I went in a crouch and called him a stupid SOB without thinking. He was real upset because I cursed in front of the kids!
Hey, when it comes to a life being on the line, I would have probably used something a little worse than SOB!! He would of been upset with my language, no doubt, and the young fellows would probably learn some words that they didn't need to know at that young age!! LOL! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I forgot one more important fact! God forbid when you see one of these people have a FTF or FTE! They start pulling at this, tugging at that, pulling the trigger, everything! All the while, not paying any attention where it's pointed! I had to leave my lane on one occasion and walk over and clear an FTE for one guy and I told him, you need to get some training on everything related to your weapon and shooting safety. He didn't take to kindly to that, but I didn't care. As I was doing this for him, the "range safety officer" started to intervene. I looked at him and said "I got it".
Outside the firing lanes, where I was packing up my gear, the gentleman must have noticed my military issue "range bag" with all of my Army insignia rank, aviation wings, etc. And he walked over and said "I didn't mean to sound angry at you in there". And he asked me questions about training him on gun safety. I told him that I have all of the knowledge needed but I don't do any instructing unless it's friends or family plus I don't hold the legal certification documents required to instruct. I proceeded to tell him that a lot of ranges hold classes on this subject and gave him the information on an outdoor range that I frequent that has a retired VICE squad officer that instructs there. He is very good, VERY stern and makes damn sure he has everyone in the training session giving him their undivided attention because what he is training on is a life or death situation. He's ask me several times to come and assist his classes because he needs another set of eyes keeping watch on these people while they load, fire etc. Think I might take him up on it because he is very knowledgeable and he gets my respect, no question!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts