Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told not to fully load the magazing because the spring will compress and you will have problems. It was said to short load it by one round. Any truth to this or a bunch of BS.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lots of people wondering about that, I hope not because all mine are loaded up, Only issue I have with all rounds in the mag is that it takes more pressure to get the mag in, So i just started to carry with one less in the mag and carry an extra mag sometimes.. I hear from others that the springs are meant to be compressed and that its the compression and depressiont would wear out the spring, but Im no expert, just reporting what I've heard.. On another note, I have had a mag since 2003 full and it was the only one that didnt have a FTF when I had an issue at the range a few weeks ago. It was a pierce mag too. Im sure someone with more experience can tell you more detail then m

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
that is someone personal opinon which they are entitled to. however i have sig, glock, smith and ruger all loaded fully and never had a problem. the manufacturers know there guns the best and if it was meant to short load they would state that in the owners manual. load em up dla!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Should be fine...some folks will load -1, more so for ease of loading the mag...I've done that too... If you're concerned, go -1...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Fully loading a mag is fine, one bullet will not make a difference. What does make a difference is unloading and then reloading. The constant compressing and decompressing a spring will make it break with time or lose its ability to spring back.

Think of it as a piece of coat hanger; you can bend it and then striation it out again but do it too many times and it snaps. The spring is the same but because of the gentle twists it is allow to be compressed and recompressed over and over

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Load them up all the way ! I found 3 1911 mags years ago that I had loaded all the way about 10 years before. Shot every round just fine. As I remember they were OEM Colt mags, I think I still have them somewhere, just no 1911s anymore.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Fully loading a mag is fine, one bullet will not make a difference. What does make a difference is unloading and then reloading. The constant compressing and decompressing a spring will make it break with time or lose its ability to spring back.

Think of it as a piece of coat hanger; you can bend it and then striation it out again but do it too many times and it snaps. The spring is the same but because of the genital twists it is allow to be compressed and recompressed over and over
What he said...^^^... And texcowboy, too...It'll be fine...The -1 as I said is more for ease of loading. We can tell you that all day, but if you have concerns just go a rd or two less...Genital twists...? owww, that sounds painful ! lol

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Manufacturer knows best. The only guidance they give is to not continually load and unload just to load and unload as that will weaken the springs. You should be able to keep a mag loaded under full compression for years without failure

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I first started using and carrying semi-auto's, I kind of felt the same way and always loaded them -1. After a few years of experience and realizing the magazine springs are much more resilient than I originally thought, I load them to the max. Never had one single problem. Just had to get used to that last round being a "tight" fit. And that didn't take long at all. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't think that sounded right so thats why I asked. All mags are fully loaded and waiting for zombies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts