Glock Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted some opinions / experiences on whether it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
yes, if you break the firing pin system down replace them with the maritime cups. they allow water and dirty to not build up in front of the FP.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
No they are weaker and should only be used by those that are constantly in and out of water. Although they are not extremely weaker. Even if you put 5k through your gun and dont do a full brake down to clean it your not going to see enough dirt in there. Maybe you would if you periodically dropped it and berried it in the sand and shot it right after it was berried.

You will probably get plenty of conflicting views on this forum so its probably best that you start your research now and come to your own conclusion. However if you are not in and out of the water constantly with your gun then you dont need them. Shooting a gun underwater is pointless as its unlikely to kill or even maim unless its up against whatever its shooting. putting your gun in water and then pulling it out to shoot right away wont work without the maritime cups. However if your gun is in water and you pull it out and let it drain for 30 seconds it will work just fine. It really comes down to what you do and how you use your gun. But if your just doing it to do it, the trade of is reliability although not to the point I wouldn't trust my life with the gun. I would just need to inspect those cups more frequently for replacement.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Unless you intend to take your gun under water, do not waste your time.
I have not heard anything about them being weak or wearing down at all. the firing pin moves very little. they are a good idea as to allowing trash and burnt powder to not build up on the firing pin face

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you currently assigned to USSOCOM? Do you regularly HALO into the ocean or other salt water bodies? Has the German anti-terrorism group recently asked you to guest lecture their tactical-underwater-knife-sharpening-and-grilling event?

No? Then you don't need them.

I'm sure I sweat more than you (trust me, I wish I didn't) I can break in a Galco Summer Comfort holster in a weekend I sweat so much. It's really not that awesome. Clean your weapon, lube it, shoot it.

The number of people that actually need those parts are about equal to the number of people that have a justifiable need for a G18, virtually non-existent.

You'll get more out of buying a blue gun to have as a training aid then buying those things.

Maybe, maybe I can see it if you're a professional fisherman and spend several days a week at sea. And even then, you would be detail cleaning your pistol a couple times a week for corrosion prevention.

I'm not trying to be a dick, and I kinda feel my tongue in cheek opening will be taken to seriously, but seriously... Someone you work (LEO or mil) for will tell you to use them before you need them.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I bought a set of maritime spring cups a few years ago and they are still sitting in my parts box. I really have no use for them.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have not heard anything about them being weak or wearing down at all. the firing pin moves very little. they are a good idea as to allowing trash and burnt powder to not build up on the firing pin face
Not really! That's what the weep hole in the bottom of the slide is for. The maritime cups were invented to solve a highly specialized (and rare) problem occasionally experienced by military personnel during water infiltration. The rest of the time they are not needed. If the maritime cups weren't weaker, or for only highly specialized use, then Glock, GmbH would simply change all of their new pistols over to them; AND, as Glock usually does, get rid of those expensive machined weep holes.

The best way to keep your slide channels free of firing residue and other crud is to limit the amount of lubrication used, and break down the slide and clean it out every 1,500, or so, fired rounds. (I do mine at about 1,000.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts