1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i think yes, for the simple reason that if all these mentally ill people that cause newtown etc were identified maybe these things would not of happen

·
Banned
966 Posts
According to HIPAA they are not, but I had to waive that right when I was getting BGC'ed for my CCP. They had to make sure I was no nuttier than the next fruitcake. Which is why I don't have a problem with BGC's. If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for the next guy. California took an audit and found that they had issued over 40,000 gun permits to convicted felons and mental defects. I know we can't stop those who circumvent the BGC (until after the fact) but we could and should stop those 40,000.

G

·
The CIA, FBI and Secret Service does psych evaluations on their agents before handing them a gun and putting them on the field. Why can't they do the same thing with civilians who want guns from now on?

It will make the gun haters feel a little safer I would imagine. It's not fool-proof, but it's something.

I mean, what would you rather have? That or have your gun rights limited or taken away for good? Just saying.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'll need more information:

- doctor's care for how long
- what kind of doctor? Is it just one or is there a separate evaluation?
- define "danger"
- define the duration of the danger
- does it need to be temporary or considered permanent? If temporary, then what is the duration?
- what if it's related to a definable event such as a brain tumor (that's operable with a great chance to recover)?

Finally - and for what purpose would the government need to know??
Who would manage the flow of information?
Who would oversee corrections or misapplied info?
Would there be appeals for determinations?

Without answers to these, and many others that stem from the answers above....a resounding "NO".

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without answers to these, and many others that stem from the answers above....a resounding "NO".
You bring up a lot of very good points but where is the starting point? After all we are innocent until proven guilty but does that go for mental health too? I went to the VA hosp and told my doc that I felt a little run down and tired, had a lack of wanting to get up and do things. The net thing I knew is he set me up with a shrink and I had to go clear my name for fear that it would come back and bite me in the butt

G

·

- doctor's care for how long
- what kind of doctor? Is it just one or is there a separate evaluation?
- define "danger"
- define the duration of the danger
- does it need to be temporary or considered permanent? If temporary, then what is the duration?
- what if it's related to a definable event such as a brain tumor (that's operable with a great chance to recover)?

Finally - and for what purpose would the government need to know??
Who would manage the flow of information?
Who would oversee corrections or misapplied info?
Would there be appeals for determinations?

OK so what do you think should be done in order to make the gun haters happy and not lose our gun rights? What do you think a happy medium would be to resolve this situation and make everybody happy?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
OK so what do you think should be done in order to make the gun haters happy and not lose our gun rights? What do you think a happy medium would be to resolve this situation and make everybody happy?
The gun haters will not be happy until our guns are taken away. Easy answer. Example, Bloomberg and Fienstein.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why are you concerned with making the gun haters happy, or anyone else for that matter.

Shouldn't we be looking at real solutions instead of the appearance of a solution.

Let's ban guns. It'll make us all safe. We tried that it didn't make us safe. Lets do it again cuz it'll work this time. I swear.

Let's make a database on all the people in the country with mental illness and they won't be allowed to own guns. That'll keep us safe. But if it doesn't then we can always point to it and say see we did something. We tried.

I'm with NNAME. What are the unexpected consequences of this suggestion? Who oversees it? What are the parameters? What's the process used to make a determination? Is there an appeal? Who has final say?

Most importantly. Do we start adding people to the database now or next year or in a couple years? What do we do about the folks who are already mentally ill?

As with the health care law, this will be ill conceived, poorly written and will have too many allowances to increase government intrusion into our lives.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I tell you, that off shore, abandoned oil rig in international waters is looking better and better all the time.

I have mentioned this for about a decade, but I just may have to follow through.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I tell you, that off shore, abandoned oil rig in international waters is looking better and better all the time.

I have mentioned this for about a decade, but I just may have to follow through.
I was thinking of Gilligans Island ! Especially if Mary Ann is still there (and still as she was on the series I should add).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts