Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just joined this forum and I am enjoying reading these posts. At the same time, I am seething at the fact that because I live in Massachusetts, I can't purchase ANY new Glock:mad: Having been a gun dealer for 25 years, I did build up a nice collection of glocks, all gen. 1&2's, and I did manage to snag a gen.3 32 that was made just before the cut off date of Oct. 21, 1998. I will never part with any of them. Mass. compliant used glocks are going for over $500.00, especially for the 26,27,21 and it just makes me sick. So when you folks are hemming and hawing about which new glock to pick, just remember, at least you have a choice! I hate this state. Now I feel better that I got that off my chest!! Great forum here, and I'm sure I'll chime in from time to time.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell about the legally modified full-auto G17 that I passed up on buying in 1995 because I thought $2,200.00 was too much to spend. What dope!! I have a class 3 license and it came with a supressor and 4 33 rd. mags. Never seen one like that again and if I did, it would probably be $10,000.00 now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you have such shitty gun laws in your state. Is there any grass roots organizations working to change them?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i also live in mass. it is not just the laws but the attorney general also. the way it works is the state dept of public safety has a list of guns you can buy, glocks, most smith, walthers and rugers are on it. no taurus,a few kahr and no kimber just to name a few. however then along comes the attorney general with a regulation not a law and they make the final decision. even though the state list may say yes the attorney general can so no! which is the case as the aforementioned with regards to all new glocks.
as far as i know the nra can't lobby in this state and we have another called gun owners action league or goal and they supposedly tried and then gave up.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That sucks! I'm in Canada and we have our share of stupid gun laws but at least they apply to all the provinces, so rules are the same everywhere.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome from Colorado! I had lived in CT most of my life, don't miss it though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and sympathy from all. There's basically nothing that can be done to improve the situation here. It's all political and behind closed doors. One blatent example, a S&W Sigma, (made here in Mass) which is basically a complete Glock copy and a cheap ripoff, is Mass. compliant, but the Glock isn't.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I had no idea MASS had such stupid laws/rules concerning handguns.

Reactions: spfldguns

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Move to America...!.. Just kidding, my in-laws are in Mass, and I saw all the hoops my brother-in-law had to jump thru to get a carry permit.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
One thing I found interesting was that even with the tough gun laws and restrictions, a non resident with a permit could apply for and receive a temporary carry permit... based on a background check, fee, and exact dates of visit, etc...Considered doing this in advance of my next trip up there...wonder if that's still the case...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I hate it for you spfldguns. If the Gov't had not allowed the communist to settle there after WWII maybe it would be different. Fight them every chance you can. Maybe Heller V. DC will have some impact there as well. If all else fails there are plenty of gun friendly states in the country and from the look of this years State passed legislation they are getting better and better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I found interesting was that even with the tough gun laws and restrictions, a non resident with a permit could apply for and receive a temporary carry permit... based on a background check, fee, and exact dates of visit, etc...Considered doing this in advance of my next trip up there...wonder if that's still the case...
rowabi, yes, you can apply for a temp. permit, but not for concealed (or open) carry. It only allows you to bring a firearm to MA. for hunting or competition and must be unloaded and in a locked case at all other times. Also, there is no guarantee that the licensing authority will issue you one since MA. is a "may issue" state and not a "shall" issue state. I've found the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States -- Gunlaws for the 50 States to be a very valuable source of information, they publish one every year, always updating it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hate it for you spfldguns. If the Gov't had not allowed the communist to settle there after WWII maybe it would be different. Fight them every chance you can. Maybe Heller V. DC will have some impact there as well. If all else fails there are plenty of gun friendly states in the country and from the look of this years State passed legislation they are getting better and better.
Too many left wing gun hating liberals in MA. for any progress to be made here, but the minority of us gun owners are always fighting them, and always will!! I'd love to move out of this state, but my businesses are here, and I'm stuck here until I retire. That is if I haven't been taxed into poverty by then.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hopefully it'll get better for you...Thanks for the info...yeah, that was quite a while ago I read that. I thought I remembered it being for a concealed permit...I love visiting BeanTown...a great place to visit, but I couldn't live there..Drivers are nuts, but that's another forum, lol...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Too many left wing gun hating liberals in MA. for any progress to be made here, but the minority of us gun owners are always fighting them, and always will!! I'd love to move out of this state, but my businesses are here, and I'm stuck here until I retire. That is if I haven't been taxed into poverty by then.
Is there any real hope of legislative change in that state? Or will it forever be run by Liberal/Progressive/Communists?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is there any real hope of legislative change in that state? Or will it forever be run by Liberal/Progressive/Communists?
Real hope? no, I don't think so. A person like me is considered a menace by the above mentioned majority of MA. residents because I have an "arsenal":cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts