Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a glock G17 3rd gen, I haven't had any issues with it other than my shots are all over the place. It shoots high and to the left so to get a head shot on the target I have to aim mid right side of the body and that doesn't work every time either but later the shots are every where or missing the target all together. My nephews beretta is a 9mm and I hit right where I aim and get a nice grouping so my question is what could be wrong with my gun or is it just me? Oh and it shot just fine when I first got it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum, gunscrub.

I've never heard of anything like this before. Did it just start happening all of the sudden?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I wouild suggest shooting from a sandbag or other stable rest to determine if in fact it is the G17. Also, let some other shooters try it.

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome to the forum gunscrub. Since you don't reproduce it on a different gun of the same caliber we will assume that you know how to shoot and that you have your grip correct so lets start with the sights. Are you running factory sights or are they aftermarket? If they are aftermarket what are they?

·
Banned
966 Posts
When I got my G23 I was low left consistently but with way too big a grouping. I wasn't sure what the problem was until a much more experienced pistol shooter fired from the same distance and drilled the middle out of the damn thing. That let me know it wasn't the gun or the .40-cal recoil everybody whines about. A little later I learned of the "shoot by accident" method where you concentrate on the front sights while gently pulling the trigger very slowly and all of a sudden -- BAM!! -- it goes off in your hand. The first time I tried that I got a dead-nuts bulls-eye and my first group was the size of a grapefruit just left of center. It really works and is recommended by instructors, competitors, and military men alike.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum...Are your sights "rock-solid tight"...?..as in "not loose"...?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
By the Way, Welcome to the Forum !

·
Registered
241 Posts
When I got my G23 I was low left consistently but with way too big a grouping. I wasn't sure what the problem was until a much more experienced pistol shooter fired from the same distance and drilled the middle out of the damn thing. That let me know it wasn't the gun or the .40-cal recoil everybody whines about. A little later I learned of the "shoot by accident" method where you concentrate on the front sights while gently pulling the trigger very slowly and all of a sudden -- BAM!! -- it goes off in your hand. The first time I tried that I got a dead-nuts bulls-eye and my first group was the size of a grapefruit just left of center. It really works and is recommended by instructors, competitors, and military men alike.
Excellent advice! I like this video also. Seems to help quite a few people.

Todd Jarrett IPSC Pistol Grip Lesson.flv - YouTube

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
JackRussell is describing what i call the 'Glass Rod' method. With a firm grip on the weapon, gently squeze the trigger imagining it is a glass rod and you keep pressure until the glass rod breaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eh it's been like this the last couple of times, yesterday was it's worst day for sure. I'm kind of at a loss as to what I should do because it seems like it gets worse every time I take it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the sights are tight Rowbi. I watched the video I'll try to apply what he showed and see if that helps. It bugs me though because I didnt change the way I was shooting at all when I shot the beretta and I was doing fine with it, but we'll see how I do with the glock next time I take it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At this point and time it it hard to tell if it is you or the gun. If i can make a suggestion.... have some one else "load" the gun one round at a time standing behind you so that you personally have not idea if it is loaded or not. Have them randomly load a live round into the gun. If your "pulling" your shots it will be readily apparent after the first couple of "shots".

Best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same issue with a Glock 32 Gen 4 357 Sig even with a Crimson Trace 201 Laser sight.
I used a Bushnell Laser Boresighter to get the CT 201 close. At 50' I'm still all over the place, sometimes not even on the paper.
I used the Bore sighter on my Browning Buck Mark Contour with a BSA Optics sight and I can take out the middle of the target with 10 rounds.
I'm even closer with my Ruger Blackhawk 357 than I am with the Glock.
I know the Glock has only a 4" barrell. I hope if I have to be in a gunfight it's in my bedroom ! ( It needs repainting anyway )!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts