Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, new to this forum, semi new to glock ownership, have been around as well as have shot Glocks since the mid 1990's. Like all "Glockers" I have fallen in love with a particular model (G26), I currently own a lovely gen 3 G26 in standard black that is my edc. No problems no complainants, the G26 feels like it was made for my hand and my body shape and size allow me to carry in a variety of fashions comfortably.

All this being said, od green is dam near my favorite color, 30% of my clothing, my backpacks, most of my gear is od. So it only seems natural to look into the od G26 and in doing so I have had some issues getting answers.

My questions are these, Is the frame made entirely of od colored polymer? As opposed to a black frame that has been coated or "wrapped" in a outer of od polymer ? I ask because as I began looking at od models I came across one that had "slight wear black showing through" in the description, the photos of the particular firearm did appear to have wear marks on the frame under the barrel with some black visible, it was hard to tell if these were wear marks from a holster or possibly from a external laser sight as the firearm was holstered.

If there are links to "od" threads I missed, or if any of y'all have edc'd a od Glock for a while and can tell me how yours is doing (finish on the frame wise) that would be great, as well as anything else I should consider (not buying into the rumor od's wear out quicker)

Thank you in advance, M.Netherlands (my friends call me Monkey)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I, too, love my G26. I can tell you're a man of great wisdom :)

I've always assume the polymer was OD (or FDE). Never thought about it being black underneath. Maybe the ad you saw was a custom job?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I too am under the assumption that the OD is all thru the frame. it sounds like you saw one that had been aftermarket coated.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
the information I am finding is that the polymer is tan and the OD is a Duracoat. I haven't found anything specifically from Glock yet though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, I was as well under the assumption that the entire frame was od polymer, right up untill I saw the one I mentioned above. I am not familiar with the process Glock uses to produce the frames ie. injection molded vs. rendered in layers. In a layered rendering process I could see them using standard black right up to say 80-90% of the layering and switch to od for the last portion, thus keeping things as consistent (quality) and cost effective (lot less od polymer to produce) as possible. I would be shocked if Glock had been just squirting a color coat onto black units and selling them as od.

I will try to find the post for the od G26 with "wear" and post here when I find it. Looks like I need to find someone who has chopped down a G17 or done a serious grip reduction on a od model to get the answer I am looking for.

Thanks again everyone !

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I am under the impression they are injection molded. Thought I had read that somewhere. Is that not right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thought I had read that they were injection molded to, thanks for verifying that guys. The link below is the od G26 "with wear" , it was for sale @ Buds, never dealt with them but people seem to hold them in somewhat high regard, maybe they would sell you a duracoated G26 as od ? idk....

used Glock 26 OD

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had thought I had read that they were injection molded to, thanks for verifying that guys. The link below is the od G26 "with wear" , it was for sale @ Buds, never dealt with them but people seem to hold them in somewhat high regard, maybe they would sell you a duracoated G26 as od ? idk....

used Glock 26 OD
Bud's is good people to deal with. Call 'em and ask whatever you want and you'll get a straight answer (at least that's always been my experience).

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
thanks guys, I was as well under the assumption that the entire frame was od polymer, right up untill I saw the one I mentioned above. I am not familiar with the process Glock uses to produce the frames ie. injection molded vs. rendered in layers. In a layered rendering process I could see them using standard black right up to say 80-90% of the layering and switch to od for the last portion, thus keeping things as consistent (quality) and cost effective (lot less od polymer to produce) as possible. I would be shocked if Glock had been just squirting a color coat onto black units and selling them as od.

I will try to find the post for the od G26 with "wear" and post here when I find it. Looks like I need to find someone who has chopped down a G17 or done a serious grip reduction on a od model to get the answer I am looking for.

Thanks again everyone !

Talked with a guy in tech support @ Glock, and he said they were not painted...he wasn't real eager to talk much about it, but confirmed the color/injection process...That's from Glock, anyway...not to say that a dealer/distributor didn't do something different...hope that helps...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rowabi, can't believe you went to the trouble to call them, You kick A** !

The listing for the G26 "with wear" was a old one, hence I did not bother calling. I would think Buds would mention if the weapon was actual od vs. cera/duracoat considering they noted the wear in listing and posted a acurate image of the weapon.

Well all I can say is thank you to everyone who has tried to help me out on this one.

Looks like I may have to post on the seemingly less cival Glock forum in the hopes of finding someone who has chopped a grip on a odG.

Thanks again guys,

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Bud's is good people to deal with. Call 'em and ask whatever you want and you'll get a straight answer (at least that's always been my experience).
Like RMD said, I'm sure Bud's would tell you if they were asked whether or not they were coated, at least to their knowledge...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
i was interested in the o d green glock also. i found a few at big money and varying colors. from lime green to o d green and from beige to dark brown but they were all called o d green. i called glock a few months ago and they said the color was added during the molding process and some came out green and some brown. then she said we don't make them anymore. my guess the color is all the way through the frame.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys, During my ongoing quest for a OD G26 I do not recall seeing any OD Glocks made after 2010. I could be wrong, I have not been inquiring on any OD G's other than the 26 beyond reading the listings to make sure someone didnt goof a title while doing multiple listings. It has been frustrating finding the Glock of my dreams multiple times NIB at a price that could almost buy 2 used versions of the same thing in a standard black frame. I am just not able to justify that kind of expenditure for a EDC weapon without selling the G26 I have now, and only owning the one Glock that would mean at some point, for some unknown amount of time, I would be Glockless. Seriously, I dont know what I would do, if I cut myself or smash a finger I will have no Glock to rub on it... Rubbing dirt on shit sucks after you start using your Glock instead, Its like going from hustler back to playboy.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
With the backlog of Glocks at the factory I assume they just dont have time to run the OD, but if the demand is high or if they get a large order for them I will bet the ODs show up again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup, thats how the FDE's came to be. $ Talks.... Thought I heard a rumor another vendor or distributor was going to get some different models in FDE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts