Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a Glock 19 since December 2011, when I returned to shooting after 25 years. My eyes are not what they used to be and the factory sights don't work for me today. I have read numerous posts on night sights and the pros/cons of various vendors. In fact a buddy of mine gave me a set of Trijicon sights to try out. They were too small and not very useful for daytime target shooting. Because I primarily use this gun for target practice, what I think I need are higher visibility standard sights for the Glock. I have read where the XS Big Dots are great for target acquisition, day or night, but not great for my intended use: target practice at 15-25 yards. I spoke to the XS factory folks and they recommended a standard XS express tritium front sight and a non-tritium rear site to get the advantage of their "lollipop" sight picture. Does anyone have this set-up and can provide feedback on it or perhaps an even better alternative to my needs. Any help or suggestion would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I've heard the same thing...I'm actually looking for a fiber optic set-up that will help me to focus more on the front sight...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have been shooting a Glock 19 since December 2011, when I returned to shooting after 25 years. My eyes are not what they used to be and the factory sights don't work for me today. I have read numerous posts on night sights and the pros/cons of various vendors. In fact a buddy of mine gave me a set of Trijicon sights to try out. They were too small and not very useful for daytime target shooting. Because I primarily use this gun for target practice, what I think I need are higher visibility standard sights for the Glock. I have read where the XS Big Dots are great for target acquisition, day or night, but not great for my intended use: target practice at 15-25 yards. I spoke to the XS factory folks and they recommended a standard XS express tritium front sight and a non-tritium rear site to get the advantage of their "lollipop" sight picture. Does anyone have this set-up and can provide feedback on it or perhaps an even better alternative to my needs. Any help or suggestion would be welcome. Thanks in advance.
welcome to the forum. Check out this video. I have posted this guy's videos here before. He does a lot of testing of the Glock platform. In this video he installs, demos and reviews the XS Big Dot site system.

·
Registered
655 Posts
welcome to the forum. Check out this video. I have posted this guy's videos here before. He does a lot of testing of the Glock platform. In this video he installs, demos and reviews the XS Big Dot site system.
I was looking at the Big Dots online the other day and was interested in them for the self defense purpose. My G20 is going to be just that at this point. The thing that I was worried about is the sight picture. I think that I am going to have to order these. That review just confirmed it for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the Big Dots online the other day and was interested in them for the self defense purpose. My G20 is going to be just that at this point. The thing that I was worried about is the sight picture. I think that I am going to have to order these. That review just confirmed it for me.
I've seen similar videos on the Big Dot sights. I would love to see a video or at least a review of the standard XS sights to see if they might provide a better sight picture for target shooting.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've seen similar videos on the Big Dot sights. I would love to see a video or at least a review of the standard XS sights to see if they might provide a better sight picture for target shooting.
Check this video out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check this video out.
Thanks. This guy in the video is either way too good or he's 10 feet from the target. I'd love to see a video on how well folks do withe the standard XS sights, but I'm not sure anyone actually buys them to swap out the factory Glock 19 sights.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I keep finding something new that muddles up my search...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I keep finding something new that muddles up my search...
When I spoke with the folks at XS Sights they told me that if I buy the standard sights from them, they will exchange it for Big Dot sights if I find I want a larger front sight. (Of course, you can't mount the sight, just see how you like them in place). That might be a better option than using a distributor.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
When I spoke with the folks at XS Sights they told me that if I buy the standard sights from them, they will exchange it for Big Dot sights if I find I want a larger front sight. (Of course, you can't mount the sight, just see how you like them in place). That might be a better option than using a distributor.
You can beat that. It will require you to send in your Glock though, correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can beat that. It will require you to send in your Glock though, correct?
Not really. They will sell me the sights I want and exchange them if I think they will not suit my needs. As long as they are not installed, no problem. This is a good solution if you've never actually seen the sights on a gun but want to "ball park" the sight picture by laying the sight on the barrel. Not a perfect solution but better than buying the sights outright and finding you don't like them. It cost you about 10% of the sight MSRP, which is about what most dealers discount the XS sights. Having said this, the factory will install the sights for you, but you don't need to send in the Glock, just the slide. I'm still waiting for someone to post a Big Dot vs Standard XS review or video.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Not really. They will sell me the sights I want and exchange them if I think they will not suit my needs. As long as they are not installed, no problem. This is a good solution if you've never actually seen the sights on a gun but want to "ball park" the sight picture by laying the sight on the barrel. Not a perfect solution but better than buying the sights outright and finding you don't like them. It cost you about 10% of the sight MSRP, which is about what most dealers discount the XS sights. Having said this, the factory will install the sights for you, but you don't need to send in the Glock, just the slide. I'm still waiting for someone to post a Big Dot vs Standard XS review or video.
heck yeah, thats a great deal. After viewing some of the reviews on youtube I think I would like to try out a set at the range too. But everything I have already has night sites. I guess I'll have to buy a new one to put them on :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
That is a deal that you almost pass up. That is great to know for the future.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I'd recommend TRUGLO sights. they have night sites, finer optic and FO tritium. I have a set of night sites on my G23 and love em - super bright!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts