Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having quite a little problem with some foxes and coyotes at our family farm. They have taken out a bunch of chickens, a few ducks, some cats, and tore the hell out of one of our dogs. What I need is a 308 bolt-action. I am open to all opinions.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Trey.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
One of the best values I've seen is Savage 10/110, with Accutrigger. Comes in various calibers, w/scope combo...Wallyworld used to have them for about $400...Sweet handling, accurate and reasonable... Why do you need a .308? 30-06 would work, too...or .223. You can get all of them in a bolt action. Not sure what your state requires for minimum caliber, but some of the .17's would work, or .204...
Hope you get those predators...Good luck...keep us posted...

·
Registered
5 Posts
If this is only to be a utility gun then any Remmy, Savage, or Ruger will do fine. Take a good look at the used rifle rack. Another thing to keep in mind. Don't skimp on the scope or the mounts. A $1000 rifle with a $1000 scope on a $14 dollar mount will perform like a $14 rig. Like the poster above I would recommend the .223 caliber. The are available everywhere and cheep enough to actually shoot just for the hell of it and they will knock the crap out of a yotie. Enjoy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How about a remington 700? Great 308 rifle for under a grand. Good for any game in the usa.
My exact recommendation also! I like the way you think!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Savage model 10 with accu trigger I have two of em! Great rifles at an affordable price!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lots of good choices. The Savage is an underrated rifle and can be had pretty inexpensive at Walmarts (My Walmart actually carries rifles/shotguns). Any Ruger, Remmy, Winchester, S&W will do... If you're open to other calibers and mail order, in the catalog at cdnninvestments.com (page 52-53), they have a nice deal on synthetic stock Howa 1500's in .243 for $329, .270 or 30-06 for $339, and heavy barrel .223, 22-250 or .204 Ruger for $389. The Howa is made in Japan but is a very good rifle.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Lots of good choices. The Savage is an underrated rifle and can be had pretty inexpensive at Walmarts (My Walmart actually carries rifles/shotguns). Any Ruger, Remmy, Winchester, S&W will do... If you're open to other calibers and mail order, in the catalog at cdnninvestments.com (page 52-53), they have a nice deal on synthetic stock Howa 1500's in .243 for $329, .270 or 30-06 for $339, and heavy barrel .223, 22-250 or .204 Ruger for $389. The Howa is made in Japan but is a very good rifle.

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

+1 on the CDNN ad...good prices... Checked locally today...I guess the Savage combo's are about $469 @ Wallyworld....Great value in a very accurate rifle, with the accutrigger..Under 100 yds, a 30-30 will work..check out some pawn shops, see what's calling your name...lol

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Some 'yote pics would be great...lol...let us know what you decide on... :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a lot of research to do. I will let y'all know what I decide.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I am thinking that I am changing my mind on the bolt action. I have a SIG 556 Classic. I purchased a Sig Stock adapter, this way I can use any of the magpul stocks. I figured that I would give this a shot and see how I like it. I am now just going to need a scope. Gunslinger I will check those out. When I get it all put together I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
There ya go...without buying a rifle, you can spend a little more on the scope...Don't be like so many in this country...they'll spend a grand on a rifle, and try to put a $100 scope on it...get enough glass...And even on a 'yote, use good ammo. A good soft point or hollowpoint...FMJ is probably not legal anyway...Anxious to see those varmint-getter pix, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts