Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. Not new to Glock. I had a model 21 and 17 back in the early 1990s. Just picked up a new Gen 3 Glock 19 and have a couple of questions.
First let me say, I like the trigger just the way it is.
I'm wondering what to lube it with. I know Glocks like to run lightly lubed. I'm thinking a grease on the rails? Your opinions -- and what grease do you recommend.
And, I'm thinking a light film of oil like CLP on the barrel and locking lugs.
With no lube on the trigger group components.

I've never been a fan of the plastic recoil guide -- I'd like to go stainless if they run trouble free. Your thoughts.

G

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
New to the forum. Not new to Glock. I had a model 21 and 17 back in the early 1990s. Just picked up a new Gen 3 Glock 19 and have a couple of questions.
First let me say, I like the trigger just the way it is.
I'm wondering what to lube it with. I know Glocks like to run lightly lubed. I'm thinking a grease on the rails? Your opinions -- and what grease do you recommend.
And, I'm thinking a light film of oil like CLP on the barrel and locking lugs.
With no lube on the trigger group components.

I've never been a fan of the plastic recoil guide -- I'd like to go stainless if they run trouble free. Your thoughts.

G
First, welcome to the forum Gryphon.

In regards to Lube unless you are going to store it for an extended period of time there is no need for the use of grease. Glock recommends that once the grease has worn down there is really no reason to replace it. If you are looking for a range lube and for daily carry CLP or any light gun oil will do the job just fine.

In regards to the guide rod, as in any piece of manufactured equipment anything can fail. However I have never personally heard of a guide rod failure and I have worked for several Police Departments who issued Glocks. Although you will find reports in forums of guide rod failures I personal don't have any concerns but I believe that is a personal choice. I have heard good things from people about the stainless guide rod

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gryphon!

For cleaning, I use Hoppes #9 down the barrel, wipe everything down with some breakfree CLP (not dripping wet), then lube the 6 points recommended by Glock:

Font Parallel Trigger Gun barrel Screenshot

The plastic guide rod is OK and will serve you well. I have no experience with the SS ones.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have used CLP Breakfree for many years on all of my guns, just use it lighter on the Glocks then on the 1911s. Also, with my Glocks I dont clean and lubricate after every outing.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Gryphon!

For cleaning, I use Hoppes #9 down the barrel, wipe everything down with some breakfree CLP (not dripping wet), then lube the 6 points recommended by Glock:

View attachment 347
The plastic guide rod is OK and will serve you well. I have no experience with the SS ones.

Yep...what he said..^^^ And you won't hear of many problems with the factory guide rod...it works...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it. RMD, thanks for the diagram --- I bet that's in the manual. The place I would have missed is the connector to trigger bar.
I've been a big fan of Breakfree CLP for about 20 years. I used Hoppes #9 several decades before that -- but, I figured the nitrobenzene was hazardous. It was pointed out to me on the MDS (Material Data Sheet) that Hoppes changed their formula sometime in the past and eliminated the nitrobenzene. I like MPro 7 Bore Gel for a really fouled barrel; but don't see to much of that with Glock's rifling process.

I guess some photos are in order!!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good looking gun, I like the night sights. Have fun and safe shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts