Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my new Glock 19 gen 3 for the second time, with a total of roughly 150 rounds through her. I cleaned her the first time and then I took it apart and cleaned it the second time and this time I was using wd40 and a toothbrush and accidently removed some of the copper lube. There is some left (not much...some) Is this bad, i read that it should stay until it is gone, others say its no biggie...

And what are the pros and cons of WD40 and Hoppes#9...

I love the GLOCK 19...

also should i invest in a metal spring as opposed to the one it came with it? I was told it wouldn't hurt!:cool:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Originally Glock suggested the removal of the copper grease and replacing it with oil or white grease, but now they are saying that it really doesn't matter. It will wear off and the oil will do just fine so I wouldn't worry about it. You can get some white replacement grease and slop some on if you wanted to. I have used break free since military started using it back in the 80's it's always done a good job for me so I have never changed. I have heard Hopps is a good product though. The after market springs are very good and will give you better control over the recoil that you would notice if you were competition shooting, but for everyday CCW and occasional range use the stock recoil spring will last as long as you own the pistol. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
655 Posts
Originally Glock suggested the removal of the copper grease and replacing it with oil or white grease, but now they are saying that it really doesn't matter. It will wear off and the oil will do just fine so I wouldn't worry about it. You can get some white replacement grease and slop some on if you wanted to. I have used break free since military started using it back in the 80's it's always done a good job for me so I have never changed. I have heard Hopps is a good product though. The after market springs are very good and will give you better control over the recoil that you would notice if you were competition shooting, but for everyday CCW and occasional range use the stock recoil spring will last as long as you own the pistol. Welcome to the forum
+1

Hoppe's is good stuff. For my Sig P229 I bought some Wilsons grease as it needs über lubrication. I would say that it is what works best for you.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I use CLP Breakfree, the thing to remember with Glocks is to use any lubricant very, very sparingly. There are many videos on U-tube showing the proper lubricating for Glocks.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome, and great gun.. Hoppes#9 and Break Free...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Gun cleaning

There's lots of great stuff for cleaning weapons, but I personally haven't found a better combination than the Hoppes #9, and the BreakFree...It works for me...the BreakFree clp does so much for your weapon...one of the best things the military ever started using...after indoor plumbing...lol...and MRE's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts