Glock Forum banner

New Glock owner :-)

11K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  glockpro. 
#1 ·
Hubby surprised me on our date night last night and bought me a Glock 42! We went in to look at several other guns I had been looking at to replace my Rossi snubnose .38 revolver, which is just not practical to carry, no matter how much I love it(can't conceal it unless I'm layered up in my bulky winter clothes).
I had been looking at Bursa 380cc, Ruger LC9 and LC380, Walther PK 380, Springfield XDS(hubby owns one and I liked it well enough even if it too is basically impossible to conceal carry). The guy at the gun shop pulled what I was looking for, then pulled the G42 out for comparison...in my opinion, there is NO comparison! I LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this gun...Ok so I haven't taken it to the range yet, but, I can easily rack it, the trigger pull is great, the grip size is perfect and I think it will definitely be possible to conceal on my person.
Now I just have to find a holster I like....Any suggestions for a slim build woman? I was looking at the Flashbang, and Ava, as well as something simple like the DeSantis.

#11 ·
I am pretty computer stupid, especially on these forums! How do I locate the sponsors? I actually own a Blackhawk belt holster for my Rossi, and it also fits my G42, so I'm using it until I can find another I like :) I'm planning to check out their other styles as well. Thank you!

#17 · (Edited)
Welcome MamaGerbs83.

For your G42.... a Uncle Mike or Black Hawk #4 pocket holster will work great if you want to carry it in your front jeans / pants pocket. Easy to draw from and will cover the trigger guard. You can get a Black Hawk #4 at Walmart in the Sporting Goods Dept for about $11 or order it on line from Walmart.com. A #4 pocket holster will also work well with a G26 / 27. On-line it shows a price of about $14.97.... but last night I bought another one for my .410 Derringer and it was only $11 in my local store.

Holsters, Uncle Mikes, pocket - Walmart.com

For IWB... its hard to beat a DeSantis Intruder. They are extremely comfortable. I use one for my G23 & 27. As well as a S&W snub-nose .38 spl revolver.

INTRUDER HOLSTERS, IWB Holster, Beretta Holster, DeSantisHolster.com

For outside the belt carry... for security purposes, I highly recommend you use a BlackHawk Serpa II security holster. Here in Oklahoma, I open carry a Glock 27 or 23 every day in one of those. The safety retention latch is very easy to use... requires only a natural draw position & your index finger.... and you will have level II security retention. Very easy to hide under a T-shirt or blouse.

BLACKHAWK! SERPA CQC w/Matte Finish - BLACKHAWK!

#18 · (Edited)
By-the-way....just in case you & your hubby aren't aware of this..here is a little info to file away for future reference when buying another Glock.

If you by a .40 caliber model ... it will be the same size as the comparable 9mm or .357 Sig Glock model. And you can then buy a .40-9mm Lone Wolf conversion barrel for only $100 delivered to your door from one of the Forum's sponsors... Streicher's Police Supply. You can also get one for the same price from GT Distributors out of Texas.

A Glock .357 Sig factory barrel will also drop in. About $150. And vise Verse for a Glock .357 Sig model accepting a Glock factory .40 barrel.

But you cannot buy a conversion barrel for a 9mm changing it to a .40 or .357 Sig.. Only the .40 & .357 Sig models can be converted over to 9mm or interchange their barrels.

http://www.policehq.com/Products/LWD-CBRL

Reactions: Specter6
#25 ·
Welcome to Glock country...
Desantis is great holster option n very reasonable price
The G42 is outstanding CC choice...
I carry a revolver... The Smith n Wesson 38 bodyguard which comes with a red laser
And weighs not much more than my smart phone... 14 ounces ... And revolver reliability is 2nd to none
They don't jam or stove pipe etc. when u need them to go bang.

#26 ·
Thank you M4eagle :)
I'm leaning towards the Desantis Intruder for IWB carry and a Flashbang for when I can't.
I've tried several S&W handguns and just was not a fan. Especially the S&W Bodyguard .380...That trigger was just ridiculous, and it was uncomfortable to grip(pinky had nowhere to go). I, personally, don't see the need for the laser. If I need to use my gun in self defense the person is going to be close enough I won't need it...Plus I'm a pretty good shot ;-)
Now, my Rossi Snub Nose .38 special revolver is awesome. But it's stainless so it's a heavy and bulky gun for me to carry all the time. I mainly had to purse carry and that makes me extremely uncomfortable, not to mention it hurt my shoulder after a while.

#27 ·
Lasers are great because you can move and shoot at the same time...and shoot from awkward positions... especially in low light situations where you won't be able to see your sights. All you have to do is keep your eyes on the target and the bright red dot. A person with a knife can easily reach you in 1 1/2 seconds from 21 feet. You certainly don't want to let them get too close if you can prevent it.

Jerry Miculek & his family, Todd Jarret, The Glock Team, Micheal Bane, and a lot of other pros all publicly state that they have lasers on their personal self defense weapons. They believe in using every edge possible.

There is a very impressive FREE DVD & catalog from Crimson Trace. All You have to do is ask for it.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/company/video-media-library/the-lasers-edge/

In case you haven't watched it... here is a police training video showing just how dangerous someone with a knife can be within 21 feet.. even if you already have your hand on your gun ready to draw. Well worth watching! And remember, these are trained police officers open carrying... a average citizen's response time from concealed carry will be much less.

Too close - dont underestimate the knife - YouTube

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.