Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Glock 17 3rd gen and I was wondering what is the best kind of ammo to break it in with? I had read somewhere that I should use 124g for the first 500 rounds, is this true? And just an FYI I’m pretty green to the gun world. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It doesent matter what kind of ammo you use, just get the best price and shoot! Walmart usually has a good price on Winchester White Box. Really in my opinion a Glock doesent need to be broken in. Take it straight out of the box and shoot it. It comes with factory lubrication and a break in coompund that is orange looking. In fact I dont clean my new Glocks until at least 100 rounds have been thru it, sometimes even more.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
you can shoot anything to break a gun in, heck if you can shoot a turd do it. break in is about 200 rounds and then give it a visaul for any thing like cracks and things that might be out of alinement. winchester white box seems to be a good range round, clean burning and full metal jacketed (fmj).

my advice is clean it with a rag and a light oiling before shooting and give it a feel, massage it and cress it and in doing so you get to understand the inner workings. I bet there is not a man (most won't tell you) that doesn't play with a new gun when he's alone. After all why buy one if all you’re going to do is put it away.
Lots of experienced people here and all are willing to help so if there is something you need to know ask up. If I have to take a guess I bet there is a collective of 400 years or better of shooting knowledge on this site

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Pay particular attention to they type of range you will be using before you buy. The cheapest round will be the Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) and all ranges will allow them. The difference in an Indoor Range and an Outdoor Range will be the types of ammo allowed. Most indoor will not allow Jacket Hollow Point (JHP) for safety reasons. JHP are more expensive anyway so you probably won't be shooting them regularly anyway just be aware when you grab a box and head out that you grab the right type for the range you are visiting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm a newbie myself, but did a lot of research, and learned a lot here as well. The dealer I purchased from also helped me with "starter" ammo.

From what I understand, yes a 124 grain is the way to go. The brands? Try them all and see which feeds best and is the most accurate for you. Your defense ammo should be hollow points (JHP / BJHP), and try to make sure they are +p (or +p+) rounds. Take them to the range, and score them. Whichever performs best is the one you need to purchase more of for self defense.

For just practicing at the range, get any FMJ rounds (full metal jacketed) but try to make sure they are 124 grain as well. Yes, the 115 grain will be a little cheaper, but you want to train to the recoil of the 124 grain -- if you are training for self defense.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I really never felt that mine had a "break in" period. They just work well right out of the box. The biggest thing that I feel is most important is getting used to shooting the kind of round that you are going to defend your life and families life with. Just get a good feel so you won't have any surprises. Then like texcowboy said, Wally World winchester White box ammo works great in Glocks for range rounds. Honestly, they will fire anything, pretty much. Just get one extra box of personal protection ammo to get the feel of it! Good luck and enjoy your 17 (and the Glocks you buy after that one)!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Wow, thanks all for the info...so what exacrtly it +p or +p+?
Why shoot +p ammo and abuse the gun. Some say it wouldn’t hurt the gun and other has cracked the frame or slide. if a 9mm is moving at 1200+ ft. per second what would the gain be for + p ammo? Another 100 ft per second and at 20 yards would it make a difference?

if I want more out of a gun I will get a bigger one and not abuse the one I have

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I shoot whatever I come across with the exception of reloads. I have not started reloading myself yet, but will shoot them when I do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, most LE in the United States that use Glocks use +p ammo. The +p is for self defense, not at the range anyway so you won't be putting 5,000 rounds through it with +p. For the range I just use the cheapest 124 grain fmj.

BTW, Glocks can handle +p. I mean sure, it may wear down your spring faster if you shoot +p all the time, so instead of lasting 400,000 rounds, it may last 350,000 rounds before you need to change out some parts.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just spoke to my best friend. (LEO). His department issues Gold Dot 210 grain for .40 caliber and Gold Dot 230 grain for .45's. The department does not ever issue +P ammo. Now that's just them. He said that a few officers he knows that work in Birmingham use +P's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The biggest police department in the world, and the 7th largest military in the world (known as the NYPD) uses +p for all of their Glocks. They even use it at the range.

But again, I'm not saying to use it at the range ALL THE TIME, just for self defense. For now, he should buy a few rounds of each and take it to the range to see which works best for him, then just grab a cheap box of 124 grain FMJ (no +p needed) for use at the range. As long as it's factory rounds and not reloads, Glock will stand by the warranty. You're supposed to change springs after 3,000-5,000 rounds anyway.

Running 100-200 rounds of +p through it won't hurt the Glock.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
When discussing what is best, standard ammo, +p or +p+ the discussion could go on forever. Things will be brought up like whether it is winter or summer (heavy or light clothing), if it is for home defense (dont want over penetration), if you are urban or rural, or other factors.

The same goes for caliber, for instance, I dont carry 9mm for self defense, I carry either 10mm, 357auto or 45acp. Those are the ones I feel comfortable as far as stopping power goes. But that is just me, some will swear by 9mm or 38 special or 380 etc.

I feel the thing we can all agree on is shot placement, shoot something you can hit with.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting indeed, I will certainly give them all a try. However, I’ve been reading up on the speer gold dot and I’m eager to give em’ a try. Are they over rated? Should I waste that kind of ammo at the range? Thanks again for all the input everyone, its much appreciated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Gold Dots are the real deal. Most folks I know personally and on here, prefer them for SD ammo. Gold Dots expand very well, accurate enough and are resonably priced. I reload all my ammo myself and I can get GD bullets another plus. Handloaders do not have access to Hornady FXT bullets or I'd probably be using them in my SD/carry loads. For factory ammo, I'd suggest Winchester Ranger or federal Hydroshok too. I have some 40 S&W Hydroshoks "LEA Only" they perform very well. Expand like crazy, penetrate 7-9 inches. Good SD stuff.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Lots of good advice here.

Personally, I carry 124gr +p Gold Dots & practice with 124 gr as well. But I've shot thousands of rounds of 115gr WWB and never had a problem.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
When discussing what is best, standard ammo, +p or +p+ the discussion could go on forever. Things will be brought up like whether it is winter or summer (heavy or light clothing), if it is for home defense (dont want over penetration), if you are urban or rural, or other factors.

The same goes for caliber, for instance, I dont carry 9mm for self defense, I carry either 10mm, 357auto or 45acp. Those are the ones I feel comfortable as far as stopping power goes. But that is just me, some will swear by 9mm or 38 special or 380 etc.

I feel the thing we can all agree on is shot placement, shoot something you can hit with.
Well said...! :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
P represents a "standard" amount of Pressure. +P represents a higher than standard amount of Pressure. +P+ is higher still. I think that generally the higher the P, the greater the muzzle velocity of the bullet which could have positive or negative implications depending on the ammo you're using. I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable people here to get into the science.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts