Glock Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I my amazing father decided to hand some guns down to me the other day. He gave me his Glock G19 which I've shot a few times with him over the years. The gun seems to be still in great shape, but this is the first gun I've owned so I'm really looking forward to it. I'm looking for a couple of things:
First, I need to get a good cleaning kit. Like I said, I'm a novice as far as ownership and gun care goes, so any advice on cleaning and maintenance would be great.
Second, I am looking to conceal it. I have my concealed permit and would like to carry. I'm looking for a good IWB holster. I'm mainly looking at crossbreeds and galco, but any advice would be great.
Third, if you have any general recommendations as a new gun owner, that'd be great.

Also, my dad also gave me a Marlin 336C that I'm really excited about it. I have shot this gun often as well, and was thrilled when he passed it down to me. One thing I noticed is that there seems to be some small rust spots on the side of the gun where the empty shell is ejected. Is this a big problem for the gun's integrity? I have been meaning to take it to a local gunsmith to get it looked at, but have been too busy with other things to do so. If anyone has any ideas or input regarding this, that would be great.

Thank you, and stay classy.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum... great guns for sure. Concealed carry is a great responsibility, and I'm sure you're about to get all kinds of advice and warnings, and advice, and probably some lecture...but it's all well intended advice by a great bunch of people... C C is about responsibility, preference, and comfort...You have to dress for that lifestyle, and there is a vast array of choices out there. Most of us have tried a great deal of them until we found what "felt right"...The best advice I could offer as to a holster, is to determine how often you'll carry, and how long when you do...thats a starting point. There are a number of great IWB style holsters. Try some at the stores first, and see if you find one you want to try. Like the rest of us, you'll end up with a collection...some of which you like, and some, well, not so much...again, welcome, and good luck...Be safe! :)
Maybe some pics on the Marlin would help determine a course of action...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
First off welcome to the forum, second any cleaning kit for pistols will work fine. Third the holster is something you will go through a couple of them before you find the right one. Just give them time to break in. wear it around the house and give it time to break, after all hell bends the leather (raw hide). Third I have a 336 and I think it has got to be one of the finest lever actions and just oil it and rub the rust off with a oil and a nylon pad but be careful not to remove the bluing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. And I'll have to make a trip to my local gun shop to pick up some cleaning stuff. Seriously couldn't be more excited about receiving these gifts. I just want to make sure that I take good care of them so that they'll last. Sounds like I shouldn't be too concerned about the rust on the 336, thanks for your input.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I make a quote from Massad Ayoob
“The power of a gun is never ignored, no matter how accustomed one becomes to the weight on his hip. A man carrying a gun for the first time is acutely, even uncomfortable aware of its presents. After a time, he ceases to notice both the weight and the responsibility not because he has forgot then them but because they have both assimilated into his bearing and demeanor”
From his book “in gravest extreme” chapter 11 under discretion

It doesn't take a man to carry a gun but it does take a man to understand the outcome of disrespecting it. read the laws in your state and if you don’t understand them ask someone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts