Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm new here from South Carolina. Looking at buying my first gun/Glock and was looking for ANY advice or words of encouragement from anyone! Thanks and look forward to having a good time!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
welcome ab! you will get a lot of different advice here and its usually all good. i would first pick out what it wil be used for, home protection, range, carry or all. then i would pick a caliber probably either 9mm or 40. glock makes a few different size guns within a caliber so then your next step would be to go and handle/shoot the different models with a qualified safety instructor. when you find one that fits your hand and you can shoot it well then go buy your gun and have fun!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
wel10.jpg And owning a gun is like a double edged sword, it works for or against you and only you can figure that out. Its always good to include your purpose, home defense, carrying as a ccw, range use only

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum !

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome from Alabama! Couldn't have said it any better than 1jimmy did! Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! Yes I have been currently looking at a Glock 26 9mm. It's definitely going to be a range gun, however I also plan on using it for home defense and eventually cc.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thank you! Yes I have been currently looking at a Glock 26 9mm. It's definitely going to be a range gun, however I also plan on using it for home defense and eventually cc.
The 9mm is a great gun to get started with. After your first range visit, you will want more than one Glock. I did and everyone I know suffers the same addiction these fine firearms cause! Best suffering I ever had! :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
That's a great pistol for those reasons, especially for CC...The G19 in the same caliber is also a great one for all of those as well. If possible, find a place where you can rent and shoot some, and see what fits your hand, as well as your recoil level...either of those should be tolerable for most folks...good luck, and keep us posted...:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well that makes me feel a little better about it. I walked into a local dealer today and they only had the G27 on the shelf (G26 was still in the back), but i held the G27 and I did like the fit however it didnt feel as heavy as the .40 S&W Compact. Unfortunately they were asking $600 bucks for it and i cant find any used gun stores that carry them.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I guess from "unfortunately" you meant you didn't buy it...
Are you eligible for the Blue Label prices...? Some folks are, but don't even know about the program...

*All sworn Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) State, County and City
*All Federal Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) FBI, US Marshals, DEA etc
*All Retired LEO with "retired" credentials including Federal, State, County & City
*State Licensed Securtiy Companies (ie. Loomis Fargo, RAM, Securitas, etc)
*State/City licensed Security officers
*Active Military personnel-all branches
*National Guard personnel-all branches
*Military Reserve personnel-all branches
*Legitimately retired military veterans with "retired" military ID
*All TSA employees
*Licensed Para-Medics and EMT's
*Fire Fighters (including volunteers) with appropriate ID
*Commercial Pilot license holders & Federal Flight Deck Officers
*Court Judges
*District Attorneys and Deputy District Attorneys

Blue Label Prices...
ED's Public Safety :: Law Enforcement Sales

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'd say the G26 recoil would be lighter... .40's tend to be a little snappier, in general..
And if you haven't heard the term "snappier" yet, there are a lot of post on the forum about the .40 caliber being just that. I have to agree. My little 36, .45 acp, is less snappy than my 23. IMO they have tamed it a bit with the Gen 4's. New recoil spring design. But honestly doesn't take long to get used to it. You will notice a significant difference between the 9mm and .40.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love the 40 cal round. It does have more felt recoil than a 9 or 45 IMO , but the gen 4 23 I have is very managable. I am even thinking of getting a steel recoil spring and guide rod to see if I can make it more managable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Welcome and thanks!! My buddy just told me he has a fellow officer selling his year old glock 27 g4 with two mags and leather holster for $450. Was wanting to know how good a deal it was? I don't have pics to show at this point sorry.

I'm also considering just buying a new one outright but it would be $150 more expensive. Not exactly sure which route to go. I havent been given a decent reason as to why the pistol is being sold other than just because.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you're have a tough decision, go with the compact model because you'll get the best of both worlds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts