Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum so take it easy if this is in the wrong thread!!!! Here's my situation. I've had my ccw permit for about 5 years now and have only carried it a hand full of times, heres why! Im 6'1" and 260 lbs and when i carry im very uncomfortable. I have a glock 23 and a desantis holster. I carry inside the waist band near small of back. I cant seem to find a comfortable holster for my size. I have no rear end,nothing for a belt to hang on to and the gun make my pants fall down. I will not trade my glock 23 for anything smaller so thats out of the question. I also only want a inside the waist band holster.I dont like the shoulder holsters either. Any one experience this and have any suggestions on what holster to go with? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome to the forum glock23. There are several posts already here in the forum discussing IWB holsters you may want to check out. There are video comparisons of different ones as well. There are several IWB's that are discussed in those posts that spread out the weight over a broader space over your waist band than I would imagine the DeSantis does and that will help a lot. Also you will want to be sure you have a good heavy belt to go along with it not a flimsy one. These two things in combination will make your cc much more pleasant.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome, glock23...definitely not my issue, but finding the right kind of holster for IWB carry can be a lot of trial and error...for anyone. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer better advice...I have used the thinner, less expensive Uncle Mikes on a G23...there again, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another...good luck...
As ZK said above, a belt is so much of the equation...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There's a lot of good information good people here. as far as your situation, I too, carry the 23 on a daily basis and wouldn't give it up for anything. I can definitely understand not wanted to carry something smaller. I did use an Uncle Mikes and found it to be thin walled and great for IWB. Like rowabi said, might just be "trial and error". Have you tried different brands and types? The stores i go to have no issues with opening them and trying out your carry piece in them just to get the feel. Good luck and I'm sure someone will chime in with a better answer! :)

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
:) 2012-09-24_16-20-55_345.jpg 2012-09-24_16-23-28_9.jpg
Welcome, glock23...definitely not my issue, but finding the right kind of holster for IWB carry can be a lot of trial and error...for anyone. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer better advice...I have used the thinner, less expensive Uncle Mikes on a G23...there again, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another...good luck...
As ZK said above, a belt is so much of the equation...
glock23,
I had to look thru my stuff, but I believe it's the Uncle Mikes "sidekick" in size 15, if I'm reading the little tag correctly...it's a little worn...This is literally pancake thin, soft, and fits the G23 quite nicely...totally covers the trigger, and the mag release...hope this helps...I'm sure a lot of us have "a box full of holsters and carry doo-dads..."
Also, I cut the retention strap off of this one, but it did come with one...Hope this helps...:)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
JMO but small of the back is a dangerous spot. if you happen to fall and land on your butt you chance injuring your back. There are a lot of cases out there of people slipping and falling with a gun there and damaging their spine.
Sometimes carrying a gun requires a wardrobe change and this might be the case with you. I like a belly band and I just made some adjustments to mine to fit the way I carry. I don't think there is any one that hit the right holster the first time or that just owns one

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...WAIST-BAND-HOLSTERS/sof-tucktm/glock/19-23-32

·
Registered
960 Posts
:) View attachment 563 View attachment 564

glock23,
I had to look thru my stuff, but I believe it's the Uncle Mikes "sidekick" in size 15, if I'm reading the little tag correctly...it's a little worn...This is literally pancake thin, soft, and fits the G23 quite nicely...totally covers the trigger, and the mag release...hope this helps...I'm sure a lot of us have "a box full of holsters and carry doo-dads..."
Also, I cut the retention strap off of this one, but it did come with one...Hope this helps...:)
It so happens that my Uncle Mikes is a sidekick in size 15. Very thin walled and works out great. The ones I currently own are made by Redhead. That is Bass Pro Shops own label. They fit just like the Uncle Mikes but have the locking strap over the top. It is attached by velcro so it can be completely removed if not wanted.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
That G23 in the pic is still like new, and as of late has been lonely, due to my Springfield XD-S...:cool:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
sob carry can be dangerous, even tho we don't plan on falling on our weapon..therefore I carry mine sometimes more toward the right hip, for that very reason...and while we could get hit in the head in a fight, I doubt that many of us keep a motorcycle or baseball batting helmet on...With my current EDC, I can put that thing anywhere...looking into a bellyband, and concealment T shirt tho...seem to have possibilities, for sure

·
Registered
960 Posts
sob carry can be dangerous, even tho we don't plan on falling on our weapon..therefore I carry mine sometimes more toward the right hip, for that very reason...and while we could get hit in the head in a fight, I doubt that many of us keep a motorcycle or baseball batting helmet on...With my current EDC, I can put that thing anywhere...looking into a bellyband, and concealment T shirt tho...seem to have possibilities, for sure
Hmmm....that's gotten me thinking. I've been a sob carrier from day one and never really thought about some of these points. I am currently trying the hip carry to see how it feels. I am a lefty, so I carry on my right hip with the gun positioned to draw with my left hand reaching across. Does that sound right to you guys?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm a righty, and carry strong side(right), just behind the hip..more natural for me than the cross draw...having to reach
across, and then coming back across...not natural for me, but whatever works best ...
Recently I've been carrying "appendix" some, with the XD-S... :rolleyes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHKy4gtTec

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hmmm....that's gotten me thinking. I've been a sob carrier from day one and never really thought about some of these points. I am currently trying the hip carry to see how it feels. I am a lefty, so I carry on my right hip with the gun positioned to draw with my left hand reaching across. Does that sound right to you guys?
Just be mindful where you sweep the barrel when you draw. That's the problem with a crossdraw.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Just be mindful where you sweep the barrel when you draw. That's the problem with a crossdraw.

that's the problem with small of the back carry too. lots of people get sweep in the draw

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I will toss in my favorite holster. I use Comp-Tac IWB. I myself am a big guy. 5'10" and about 300 pounds. It took awhile for me to find a holster that I like. I have 3 Comp-Tac's. One for my G-21 One for my G-17 and One for my M&P Shield. I usually carry my weapon at about the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position. Here is the link to the exact ones I own. Let us know how it goes. Dave

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
welcome to the forum glock23. There are several posts already here in the forum discussing IWB holsters you may want to check out. There are video comparisons of different ones as well. There are several IWB's that are discussed in those posts that spread out the weight over a broader space over your waist band than I would imagine the DeSantis does and that will help a lot. Also you will want to be sure you have a good heavy belt to go along with it not a flimsy one. These two things in combination will make your cc much more pleasant.
Good advice ! And here is my favorite right now, subject to change but works great for me at the present time.
http://www.versacarry.com/gen-ii-versacarry-clip.html

·
Registered
960 Posts
Just changed it over to left side without having to cross draw. Trying it out now. Thinking I could get comfortable with this! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow!! Thanks for all the quick replys guys! Im gonna be busy doing some research on all these holsters!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum so take it easy if this is in the wrong thread!!!! Here's my situation. I've had my ccw permit for about 5 years now and have only carried it a hand full of times, heres why! Im 6'1" and 260 lbs and when i carry im very uncomfortable. I have a glock 23 and a desantis holster. I carry inside the waist band near small of back. I cant seem to find a comfortable holster for my size. I have no rear end,nothing for a belt to hang on to and the gun make my pants fall down. I will not trade my glock 23 for anything smaller so thats out of the question. I also only want a inside the waist band holster.I dont like the shoulder holsters either. Any one experience this and have any suggestions on what holster to go with? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum!

What type of belt are you using?

·
Banned
966 Posts
ArmyCobra1 said:
It does if you're Wild Bill Hickok. He carried his two Colt .45's cross-draw. It looked funny but you had to figure he knew what he was doing. Anyway, every modern guide to concealed carry recommends against cross-draw except to say it might be more comfortable when seated, like behind a desk or driving. Of course, you gotta do what you think works for you regardless of what the "experts" say.

glock23, my son just bought a Remora 3-in-1 (not the real name) which is designed for pocket, IWB, or ankle. He likes all three depending on the situation but for you, since you've tried IWB, have you tried pocket carry? The holster rowabi pictured above looks like the pocket type. No offense, but at your size I imagine your pants have some pretty deep pockets! You might just try it without a holster (in your home, not for real) and if it makes sense pick up a pocket job. Anyhoo, that's my $0.02.

Bear in mind that a common cause of some very embarrassing AD's is pocket carry without a holster. That trigger thingie has a bad habit of getting in the way!

·
Registered
960 Posts
It does if you're Wild Bill Hickok. He carried his two Colt .45's cross-draw. It looked funny but you had to figure he knew what he was doing. Anyway, every modern guide to concealed carry recommends against cross-draw except to say it might be more comfortable when seated, like behind a desk or driving. Of course, you gotta do what you think works for you regardless of what the "experts" say.

glock23, my son just bought a Remora 3-in-1 (not the real name) which is designed for pocket, IWB, or ankle. He likes all three depending on the situation but for you, since you've tried IWB, have you tried pocket carry? The holster rowabi pictured above looks like the pocket type. No offense, but at your size I imagine your pants have some pretty deep pockets! You might just try it without a holster (in your home, not for real) and if it makes sense pick up a pocket job. Anyhoo, that's my $0.02.

Bear in mind that a common cause of some very embarrassing AD's is pocket carry without a holster. That trigger thingie has a bad habit of getting in the way!
So, since I have been trying it out on the left hip, it doesn't feel too bad at all. The main reason I carried sob was that I was afraid the the imprint of the gun would show through my clothing. I do wear loose fitting shirts, always untucked. My only concern is that the imprint of the gun might show more being on the left side instead of the center. When I carry sob, I don't feel at all that I was having to "cross-draw". I'm a small person so it just seems that even in the sob, it is very easy to reach with no problems. The timing of the draw from sob compared to the left hip are exactly the same. So, with this in mind, does it still seem that I'm cross-drawing even though it seems that I'm not?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts