Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whats going on fellas/ladies, yesterday i picked up my FID card and Handgun Permit (NJ) yea yea.. nj.. sucks, i know..

back to the point.. what do i need to know/ do before my first handgun purchase, im currently leaning heavily towards the Glock 23 gen 4 .40 as a range gun/ home defense

tips/advice? Any good gun single gun- gun safes you guys would recommend?

edit: just realized i should have posted this in the new member area.. bear with me

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
The G23 is my EDC gun. I have the G22 as my home defense gun. More rounds and has a laser(which looks cool, but really sucks) Oh, and the 12 gauge.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum ! IMHO the choice of the ideal handgun for a person depends on things such as, experience, use of weapon (CCW, range, home)
My suggestion would be to fire some differant models to see what size and caliber fit you best.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I bought a g23 but I liked the gen 3 because of the grip texture and didn't care for the back strap garbage. If you can get one with night sites that is a plus over shelling out the money and time fitting them later.

Something to remember with the 40 cal you can get a lone star conv barrel and shoot 9mm which is about 10.00 a box cheaper and NO reloads

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
G23 is a good choice for an all purpose weapon. The weight is right to limit the recoil vs the G27, the size is still concealable and it will still have a rail for a flashlight/laser/combo where you would not get that with a sub compact Glock.

PS welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
G23 is a good choice for an all purpose weapon. The weight is right to limit the recoil vs the G27, the size is still concealable and it will still have a rail for a flashlight/laser/combo where you would not get that with a sub compact Glock.

PS welcome to the forum
Ditto...what he said...^^^
Also, as you get adopted into the Glock family, you'll discover that this will lead to even more Glocks...like potato chips, you can't have just one...lol :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

PS welcome to the forum
it seems like a good size, i dont care for the sub compacts as they feel too small, and the full size are just a bit too big.. not like ill be doing any concealing in the great state of NJ =/

I bought a g23 but I liked the gen 3 because of the grip texture and didn't care for the back strap garbage. If you can get one with night sites that is a plus over shelling out the money and time fitting them later.

Something to remember with the 40 cal you can get a lone star conv barrel and shoot 9mm which is about 10.00 a box cheaper and NO reloads
not very familiar with conversion barrels.. is it as simple as dropping the slide popping out the barrel and putting that one in? $$?

Ditto...what he said...^^^
Also, as you get adopted into the Glock family, you'll discover that this will lead to even more Glocks...like potato chips, you can't have just one...lol :)
i hope not hah too pricey to start a glock collection although they are very nice guns from what i hear

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
lone star conv barrels are about 140.00 plus a mag or two and it will make you G23 shoot 9mm. you can go down in size but not up; can't go from a 9 to a 40

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=238

and yes if you field strip the gun you just swap out the barrel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lone star conv barrels are about 140.00 plus a mag or two and it will make you G23 shoot 9mm. you can go down in size but not up; can't go from a 9 to a 40

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=238

and yes if you field strip the gun you just swap out the barrel
Not a bad idea to have the ability to switch.. What does this do to the legality of the gun? Ie I buy a .40 glock registered in paper work as a .40 but now all the sudden it's a 9mm?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Not a bad idea to have the ability to switch.. What does this do to the legality of the gun? Ie I buy a .40 glock registered in paper work as a .40 but now all the sudden it's a 9mm?
That is a good question up there in NJ. Better check with the authorities. It wouldnt make a bit of differance down here in Texas. If we qualify with at least a 380 auto we can carry any auto or revolver, even as many at once as we want. If we qualify with a 38 revolver then a revolver in any caliber(or as many at once as we want) is all we can carry. I doubt many people qualify with a revolver because of that.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Absolutely nothing; you are not messing with the serial numbers. Lots of mods have been done to guns like swapping out barrels and changing the slides so this in no different. I have wanted to do it for some time but things like night sights and a new holster have gotten all the funding.

just an FYI; I just bought a set of Tru Glow sights off of amazon.com for 56.00. as much as I love the dot in the box sights but they disappear in the dark or very low light

Since you are not CCing in jersey and just using it for range and home defense I got a fobus holster of EBay for $21.99 and it’s a paddle holster so you can slide it over your pants/belt for safe carrying around the house in case of problems

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fobus-GL-2-...341?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc73b3695

·
Registered
960 Posts
Hello! From Alabama! I carry a Gen4 23. I find the it holds the amount of ammo I like to carry. I have carried 9mm in the past. Nothing wrong with a 9 at all. I just like the bigger bore of a .40. I have also pondered the idea of carrying a .45. But after several trips to the range doing a little comparison shooting, I personally find the .40 just right and plenty of power for me. Remember, everyone is different, size, build, comfort of firearm so make sure you are happy before you lay out the cash. I would go to the range, shop and compare. I hope you have facilities there in N.J. close by to do that. Here where I live, there are an abundance of resources available to assist people with firearm purchases, calibers, prices and the ability to "try them out". You won't go wrong with a Glock of any caliber and good luck with whatever you choose! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts

Believe it or not, after having my Gen 4 a few months, I tried out the large backstrap, it felt better. I went to the range and shot a little better. So, in my case, it worked out good for me. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
whats going on fellas/ladies, yesterday i picked up my FID card and Handgun Permit (NJ) yea yea.. nj.. sucks, i know..

back to the point.. what do i need to know/ do before my first handgun purchase, im currently leaning heavily towards the Glock 23 gen 4 .40 as a range gun/ home defense

edit: just realized i should have posted this in the new member area.. bear with me
I've always thought the 23 and 23C (compensated version) were the perfect concealed carry Glocks. Just small enough to be concealable for most people, not so small that shooting them accurately or quickly in a controlled manner is an issue, in a powerful caliber, still great magazine capacity. Unless you are recoil sensitive or the small amount of difference in cost between it and the 9mm version is an issue I have no problems recommending it. I for one have no problem concealing the larger 22 or 17. I also could carry any Glock I wanted and not be overly concerned about how good it is concealed as I am a leo. I still use a 23C for my off duty gun.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I have a gen4 G23 as well with TruGlow night sites. it's a good gun but for a first gun it might be a little too much recoil wise. Getting a 9mm barrel for it is a good idea, you can find them for under $100 used I had a Lone Wolf one and it was alright. Ended up selling it because I also have one for my Glock 22. If you can get a .22LR gun or a kit for a Glock that would be great too. If you can afford to take some good courses, even USPS or IDPA course will teach you a lot and will make you a better shooter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Absolutely nothing; you are not messing with the serial numbers. Lots of mods have been done to guns like swapping out barrels and changing the slides so this in no different. I have wanted to do it for some time but things like night sights and a new holster have gotten all the funding.

just an FYI; I just bought a set of Tru Glow sights off of amazon.com for 56.00. as much as I love the dot in the box sights but they disappear in the dark or very low light

Since you are not CCing in jersey and just using it for range and home defense I got a fobus holster of EBay for $21.99 and it’s a paddle holster so you can slide it over your pants/belt for safe carrying around the house in case of problems

Fobus GL-2 Holster for GLOCK 17 19 22 23 25 31 32 34 35 RIGHT Hand Paddle New | eBay
thanks!, how do you like that holster.. i was looking at some for the range that wont ride up when you take the gun out.. im assuming my belt might have to go through slots instead of the holster just sliding over it?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
thanks!, how do you like that holster.. i was looking at some for the range that wont ride up when you take the gun out.. im assuming my belt might have to go through slots instead of the holster just sliding over it?

I just ordered it so I am waiting but it you go on you-tube you can look at a bunch of different vid's and get an idea of what will work for you. right now I use a belly band and one of the problems with them are they don't re-holster well so range practicing with it is not going to work that is why I ordered a GLOCK SPORT/COMBAT HOLSTER and I am going to modify it and then glue it in the belly band (pocket) so it’s easier to re-holster. The fobus holster has evolved and is being modified with input from their customers. One thing I will say is they have a lifetime warranty... if anything happens to it like fire, cracking, breakage and run over by a tank they will replace it for free

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

My only advice is to live the four safety rules and to practice as often as you can.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I just ordered it so I am waiting but it you go on you-tube you can look at a bunch of different vid's and get an idea of what will work for you. right now I use a belly band and one of the problems with them are they don't re-holster well so range practicing with it is not going to work that is why I ordered a GLOCK SPORT/COMBAT HOLSTER and I am going to modify it and then glue it in the belly band (pocket) so it’s easier to re-holster. The fobus holster has evolved and is being modified with input from their customers. One thing I will say is they have a lifetime warranty... if anything happens to it like fire, cracking, breakage and run over by a tank they will replace it for free
The Glock Sport holster is great for CCW with a covering garment such as a loose jacket. A lot of holster for the money, just like a Glock!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts