Glock Forum banner

New Member , what do i need to know /do before my first purchase

6K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  barstoolguru 
#1 · (Edited)
whats going on fellas/ladies, yesterday i picked up my FID card and Handgun Permit (NJ) yea yea.. nj.. sucks, i know..

back to the point.. what do i need to know/ do before my first handgun purchase, im currently leaning heavily towards the Glock 23 gen 4 .40 as a range gun/ home defense

tips/advice? Any good gun single gun- gun safes you guys would recommend?

edit: just realized i should have posted this in the new member area.. bear with me

#4 ·
Welcome to the Forum ! IMHO the choice of the ideal handgun for a person depends on things such as, experience, use of weapon (CCW, range, home)
My suggestion would be to fire some differant models to see what size and caliber fit you best.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought a g23 but I liked the gen 3 because of the grip texture and didn't care for the back strap garbage. If you can get one with night sites that is a plus over shelling out the money and time fitting them later.

Something to remember with the 40 cal you can get a lone star conv barrel and shoot 9mm which is about 10.00 a box cheaper and NO reloads

Reactions: rowabi
#14 ·
Believe it or not, after having my Gen 4 a few months, I tried out the large backstrap, it felt better. I went to the range and shot a little better. So, in my case, it worked out good for me. :)

#9 · (Edited)
lone star conv barrels are about 140.00 plus a mag or two and it will make you G23 shoot 9mm. you can go down in size but not up; can't go from a 9 to a 40

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/products.aspx?CAT=238

and yes if you field strip the gun you just swap out the barrel

#13 ·
Hello! From Alabama! I carry a Gen4 23. I find the it holds the amount of ammo I like to carry. I have carried 9mm in the past. Nothing wrong with a 9 at all. I just like the bigger bore of a .40. I have also pondered the idea of carrying a .45. But after several trips to the range doing a little comparison shooting, I personally find the .40 just right and plenty of power for me. Remember, everyone is different, size, build, comfort of firearm so make sure you are happy before you lay out the cash. I would go to the range, shop and compare. I hope you have facilities there in N.J. close by to do that. Here where I live, there are an abundance of resources available to assist people with firearm purchases, calibers, prices and the ability to "try them out". You won't go wrong with a Glock of any caliber and good luck with whatever you choose! :)

#15 ·
I've always thought the 23 and 23C (compensated version) were the perfect concealed carry Glocks. Just small enough to be concealable for most people, not so small that shooting them accurately or quickly in a controlled manner is an issue, in a powerful caliber, still great magazine capacity. Unless you are recoil sensitive or the small amount of difference in cost between it and the 9mm version is an issue I have no problems recommending it. I for one have no problem concealing the larger 22 or 17. I also could carry any Glock I wanted and not be overly concerned about how good it is concealed as I am a leo. I still use a 23C for my off duty gun.

#16 ·
I have a gen4 G23 as well with TruGlow night sites. it's a good gun but for a first gun it might be a little too much recoil wise. Getting a 9mm barrel for it is a good idea, you can find them for under $100 used I had a Lone Wolf one and it was alright. Ended up selling it because I also have one for my Glock 22. If you can get a .22LR gun or a kit for a Glock that would be great too. If you can afford to take some good courses, even USPS or IDPA course will teach you a lot and will make you a better shooter.

#22 ·
It’s like this; if I train the spell checker to misspell words because of CO's spelling or slang; it doesn't recognize the difference between a misspelled word and a CO’s logo...so I avoid doing it for the sake of not being thrown under the bus for bad spelling

#24 ·
I have been looking for some time now and trying to justify $100 for night sights and most of the time I can see the target with a rail light but with my EDC gun a G26 it’s hard to carry with a tac light so I have been looking for some time and some guy on EBay had some aftermarket made trijicon's for $70 but he over sold and I cancelled the order. When back on line and seen the TruGlo (proper spelling) and you-tube vids say they are good for the money and found some for 65.00 on amazon. The only difference I can see is the white ring and TruGlo has a bigger green dots

#25 ·
Man, that's a tough call sometimes...you can find good deals, but I also believe that most of the time we get what we pay for. I'd probably justify it by realizing that the few extra bucks spent now may save you dollars and grief later if the others don't work out....Just my .02, FWIW

#31 ·
Sounds like a cool project...I thought about getting a belly band, as I'm always looking for new and innovative ways to carry. We have a guy on this forum that started making some holsters...I'm trying to see if he's still doing that.

#34 ·
The belly band is soooooo comfortable and can be modified with a needle and thread. So I am thinking about sewing the Glock holster in or using to contact cement

Just got my TruGlo sights in the mail today. Already received the stainless steel recoil assembly. Already dropped the spring in and having the sights installed tomorrow, then some range time. Yep, already know, "no complaints about the factory recoil springs". But, myself, liking new toys, gotta try them out
!

you are not going to install them your self?

#32 ·
Just got my TruGlo sights in the mail today. Already received the stainless steel recoil assembly. Already dropped the spring in and having the sights installed tomorrow, then some range time. Yep, already know, "no complaints about the factory recoil springs". But, myself, liking new toys, gotta try them out! :)

#33 ·
And besides that, gives me a reason to go and put another 2 or 3 hundred rounds through my new SR22! That thing is just plain fun! The range owner already asked me to come and work there part time. They need some assistance instructing and just range safety. Who knows? You never know!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.