Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden, I am having issues with target acquisition. Everything is blurry. I cant focus on sights or target(I have night sights on all handguns)

Had my eyes checked, no changes. I wear progressive bifocals....Always wore them...no changes.

In the past rotating gun to 11 for right hand and 1 for left handed worked well. Now, I am forced to close right eye.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
All of a sudden, I am having issues with target acquisition. Everything is blurry. I cant focus on sights (I have night sights on all handguns)

Had my eyes checked, no changes. I wear progressive bifocals....Always wore them...no changes.

In the past rotating gun to 11 for right hand and 1 for left handed worked well. Now, I am forced to close right eye.

I was always shooting left of my target. I'm left handed with only being able to close my right eye. I taught myself to shoot with both eyes open and, wow, was I amazed! All of my rounds go where I am aiming. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. That's what worked for me. Takes a little getting used to, but give it a try. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All of a sudden, I am having issues with target acquisition. Everything is blurry. I cant focus on sights or target(I have night sights on all handguns)

I'm always afraid this will happen to me as I am a right-handed/left eye dominant shooter who leaves both eyes open. Haven't had problems acquiring sight picture though. Wish I could give you some advice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I dont know if this will help any but I will toss it our there. I had a bad right eye injury in 2007 ended up getting a cornea transplant 2 years later the transplant rejected so I had to have it done again. 3 weeks after the surgery all of a sudden I developed a cataract. so a new lense followed that. Needless to say my eye is pretty messed up. One eye is far sighted and the other is near sighted. Anyways I am right handed and had to learn how to shoot left eyed. It did not turn out well at first so I turned to my gunsmith. he took my gun in the back came out a few minutes later and told me to go back to the range section and give that a try and also keep my right eye closed. Well it worked perfect. I asked what he did and he said he just drifted the rear sight to the left. So now when I get a new gun I let him drift the sights a little and it works good for me. good luck. Dave

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
You cant focus on sights or target and have had your eyes examined ? I assume you have been shooting with both eyses open. I have had Lasix and had it done in Monovision, left eye for reading, right for distance. The brain focuses as needed, I have always shot with my left eye closed and still do. I guess I really dont understand your problem, can you focus on the front sight and let the target blur with either eye?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You cant focus on sights or target and have had your eyes examined ? I assume you have been shooting with both eyses open. I have had Lasix and had it done in Monovision, left eye for reading, right for distance. The brain focuses as needed, I have always shot with my left eye closed and still do. I guess I really dont understand your problem, can you focus on the front sight and let the target blur with either eye?
In the past no problem with both eyes open.

Now, I can only focus on font sight with target blur if right eye is closed. This is new phenomenon. But, neither glasses or eyes have changed.

Im guessing that it is an issue of age and bi-focals.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
In the past no problem with both eyes open.

Now, I can only focus on font sight with target blur if right eye is closed. This is new phenomenon. But, neither glasses or eyes have changed.

Im guessing that it is an issue of age and bi-focals.
Yes, age can make a differance, my eyesight is still good except for the beginning of cataracts which make night time driving more difficult. Also, as I age I cant fire as many rounds as I used to without getting the wobbles. Oh well, in an emergency a few will do.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'm also right hand, left eye dominant. I focus just on the front sight - the target is blurry. I have bifocal contacts and have horrible eyesight without contacts or glasses.
I do know that distance can require it's own glasses prescription. Don't laugh, but it's the perfect possible example. My mom was a church organist for many many years. She wore bifocals, but she found she needed a different prescription for when she played the organ. If you've ever seen a big organ, the distance from her eyes to the music is about arm's length. This is much further than reading a paper (which is the basis most opticians fit you). My mom literally carried about THREE pair of glasses for reading, organ playing, and driving!
But seriously, it sounds like you may need an enhancement just for shooting...you will need to get your optician to understand the distances involved. The mechanics of your eye is such that the lack of flexibility in your eye lens, may not be adjusting for that distance, but can still adjust for the other distances - that's how it was explained to me.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
How old are you? is it a pre warning sign of diabetes ? I have to take pills or I have similar problems

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm left handed and going by the numerous tests out there, I'm right eye dominant. The other night I went to indoor range and a buddy showed me the Weaver. Just putting my strong foot to the rear was really awkward. But I will have to get used to it. If my right eye is dominant, and I close left eye to align sight/target, how do you teach yourself to shoot both eyes open? And also, I started with target 12 feet away and I could see front sight and target red circle ok. But at 25 feet focused on front sight while trying to aim at target was difficult. Time to get a shotgun?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
That's a good point. I wasn't paying attention that I naturally gravitated to the Weaver stance. Maybe I should just get it over with and switch to left hand shooting :p
Maybe that's why I always preferred a shotgun!

I'm left handed and going by the numerous tests out there, I'm right eye dominant. The other night I went to indoor range and a buddy showed me the Weaver. Just putting my strong foot to the rear was really awkward. But I will have to get used to it. If my right eye is dominant, and I close left eye to align sight/target, how do you teach yourself to shoot both eyes open? And also, I started with target 12 feet away and I could see front sight and target red circle ok. But at 25 feet focused on front sight while trying to aim at target was difficult. Time to get a shotgun?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts