Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellas, I just joined this forum and will hopefully be a proud Glock owner this weekend. I have a couple rifles and only one pistol currently, a Ruger SR9 stainless 9mm. I bought it new last year and enjoy the gun very much, no complaints at all. I have been wanting to get a Glock for quite some time now. I know I want a 9mm for the cheaper ammo price, but I was wanting everybody's opinion on which one to buy. I really like the G17, what is everybody's take on that gun? Just curious on some advice from you Glock veterans. Thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
First of all welcome to the group. To your question, Glock 17 is the original Glock and considered by many as one of the finest 9mm pistols on the planet. If you are going to legally carry concealed, the 19 or 26 would be good choices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I chose the Glock 19. Only because it allows for a firm grip, and can carry nicely. That said, I don't shoot very well, so any extra grip that I can obtain (over the 26) was paramount in my decision. However, all the 9mm's - any Glock for that matter, is very nice indeed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky. I'm not a fan of 9MM. When the job needs done, do it with .45 ACP. Having said that, any of the 9MM Glocks will serve you well. You need to decide what you intend to do with it. If it's a range gun, the full size G 17 is the one. If it's a carry gun, you might want to consider one of the compacts or subcompacts. Good luck, your gonna love your Glock!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Go with the 19. I prefer .40 s&W myself, so I carry the G23

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The G17 is the one that started it all, full size and a great service pistol. If it is for CCW the G19 or the G26 would be more practical for you, easy to conceal and lighter in weight. I have the G17 in my collection for a range gun, when I do carry full size it is my G21SF RTF2 or my G20.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
G17 is the original "perfection" Glock. You'll fall in love with it, then you can get a G26 for carry :)

If, however, you one just one that does it all (carry, nightstand, range, etc.), go with the G19.

Shoot whatever you want for practice & stock up on 124gr +p Gold Dots or 127gr +p+ Rangers for business. They'll get the job done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to gunning, so take it for what it's worth. I consulted with folks who know - Military, law enforcement, and chose the G19. It's a good starting point - cheap ammo, plentiful, light to carry, easy to shoot, which is necessary to obtain skill. I'm not a crack shot, so I need a lot of practice! That said, I plan more models to follow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input and feedback guys. I don't plan on conceal or carrying right now, maybe in the future when I have a family etc.. This gun is mainly going to be a range gun and for accuracy, thats why I thought the G17 would be the best choice, it's good to hear some of your experiences with these guns. I hope to have one by the end of the weekend, leaning towards the 17. I just can't wait to do some shooting, it's warming up here in central Missouri.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the input and feedback guys. I don't plan on conceal or carrying right now, maybe in the future when I have a family etc.. This gun is mainly going to be a range gun and for accuracy, thats why I thought the G17 would be the best choice, it's good to hear some of your experiences with these guns. I hope to have one by the end of the weekend, leaning towards the 17. I just can't wait to do some shooting, it's warming up here in central Missouri.
G17 would be an excellent choice. If you ever do decide to CC, you can get a G26.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
They're all fine weapons...we can all tell you what we think, but you need to handle and shoot them before you can make the best choice for yourself...can't go wrong with a Glock, tho...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Like RMD said, in the 9mm I like the versatility of the 19...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I contacted my local gun shop today and they are going to give me a decent trade. He said they have the Glock 17 Gen 4, I have done some research on it and read a few complaints with the new model, what's everybody's advice on that? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I contacted my local gun shop today and they are going to give me a decent trade. He said they have the Glock 17 Gen 4, I have done some research on it and read a few complaints with the new model, what's everybody's advice on that? Thanks.
Glock has worked out the problems with the early models and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I carry a 30 but im currently trying to figure out how im going to get a 19. I want one bad but dont think I can donate enough plasma.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
lol...find someone who has a long layaway...keep the plasma...good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finally got it! Came home today with a new Glock 17 Gen 4, can't believe the deal I got for my trade in. I didn't have much daylight left but had just enough time to get 50 rounds through it with no issues at all. One thing I will say over my previous pistol, this thing is extremely accurate! It has a great feel to it, and the 3 mags it comes with is nice too. So far I'm one happy new gun owner!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sweet glad to hear you like it. Im still contemplating the 19

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome dodge04cummins. If you are looking for a full size then 17 if you are looking for concealment then the 26. You can always trade up in the future. Glock always have buyers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts