Glock Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought my first gun ever, the Glock 17 (4G). Thought it was about time, here in the Free (or free fall :p) State. Looking forward to learning and being proficient in it's use.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alabama! If you plan to conceal carry, you need to to a few things. IMO, first, you need to take a firearms safety class. Lot's of great information. Second, during and after the classes, fire some rounds to get used to the gun, Last and most important, know all of the features of the weapon, ie., "this firearm WILL fire when there is no magazine inserted." You need to make yourself KNOW and understand every feature/function of the firearm. There's quite a bit of great information on this forum. So, that being said, someone here will chime in for some more good information! Welcome again!!

:)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Welcome from Colorado!

I really like my Gen4 G17. Taking it to the range tomorrow as a matter of fact :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
welcome to the forum and welcome to the forum and welcome to the forum

Reactions: boomlikethat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ArmyCobra,

Thanks for the input! Good to know so many users are more than willing to share their thoughts and experiences openly.

Sadly, we do not (yet) have conceal carry in MD, being one of the bluest states in the Union. That does not, however, change the fact a firearms safety class is a MUST, IMO. I am looking at a number of them in my area, haven't locked into one yet.

I've been to the range 2x (3 if you include tomorrow), and field strip the G17 each time (I've been doing about 100 rounds each time).

I also agree you should absolutely know intimately your firearm(s). Although I'm getting more comfortable on the field strip, I'm nowhere close to having the comfort level of disassembling/reassembling yet. But I will.

Thanks again, and thank you for your service to our country.

·
Registered
960 Posts
ArmyCobra,

Thanks for the input! Good to know so many users are more than willing to share their thoughts and experiences openly.

Sadly, we do not (yet) have conceal carry in MD, being one of the bluest states in the Union. That does not, however, change the fact a firearms safety class is a MUST, IMO. I am looking at a number of them in my area, haven't locked into one yet.

I've been to the range 2x (3 if you include tomorrow), and field strip the G17 each time (I've been doing about 100 rounds each time).

I also agree you should absolutely know intimately your firearm(s). Although I'm getting more comfortable on the field strip, I'm nowhere close to having the comfort level of disassembling/reassembling yet. But I will.

Thanks again, and thank you for your service to our country.
I NEVER go beyond field strip. My history is in aviation maintenance, not gun smithing. If you aren't experienced with complete disassembly of ANY firearm, don't do something that "may" get you in over your head. Just an opinion, so hope it helps!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Not to mention, it could be deadly!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
welcome to the forum. G17 is a nice model, I'm sure you'll like it.

ps. there's nothing to be afraid of in doing a detail strip. You can completely strip the firearm in under 30 seconds. You won't want to clean it in that manner every time but you shouldn't be afraid to learn

·
Registered
960 Posts
welcome to the forum. G17 is a nice model, I'm sure you'll like it.

ps. there's nothing to be afraid of in doing a detail strip. You can completely strip the firearm in under 30 seconds. You won't want to clean it in that manner every time but you shouldn't be afraid to learn
I guess I don't go beyond, gun safe, magazine removed, slide removed, recoil spring and barrel removed. ZK57, do you go beyond that for cleaning? If so, how far do you take it down? I was just curious because if I'm missing something farther than that for cleaning, I would love to know if I'm missing something, And Thanks, of course!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I guess I don't go beyond, gun safe, magazine removed, slide removed, recoil spring and barrel removed. ZK57, do you go beyond that for cleaning? If so, how far do you take it down? I was just curious because if I'm missing something farther than that for cleaning, I would love to know if I'm missing something, And Thanks, of course!
I would do a detail strip after 5-6K rounds just to get the carbon out and check the springs but I usually don't go any farther than a swab down the barrel and a wipedown now that I use Froglube. That is usually all it takes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I would do a detail strip after 5-6K rounds just to get the carbon out and check the springs but I usually don't go any farther than a swab down the barrel and a wipedown now that I use Froglube. That is usually all it takes.
Ok. Got it! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. When you field strip for cleaning be sure and read the directions from Glock about not over oiling. Glocks run with just a few drops of lubricant on the rails, any more will collect dust and debris and gum things up. In fact I, and many others do not field strip and clean after every trip to the range. In the military we were taught to keep the innards of our weapons clean and oiled. Not neccesary with a Glock.
I have not detailed stripped any of my Glocks, of course I havent put thousands of rounds thru them either. IMHO, and others will disagree, too much detail stripping can enlarge the holes in which the pins fit.
Enjoy your Glock, they are rugged, easy to shoot, almost maintenance free and will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pretty much field strip it each time I use it (100 rounds or so). Haven't felt any urge to fully take the g17 apart, I don't feel I could do it with any competence at this point. And perhaps I don't need to?

I saw Froglube at a gun show I attended over the weekend. So you like it, eh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts