Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my S&W M&P15 Sport out for the 4th time to test a couple of new brands of ammo I bought. The range is only 25 yards long, so I focus mainly on grouping. I know that at 25 yards, I POI should be about 1.2" below POA for sights zeroed in at 50 yrds.

The AR is as stock as can be and has flip up BUIS. Here's 10 rounds of IMI M193:

5 shots sitting (resting on a sandbag), then 5 standing. I was aiming for the top of the target where the black circle ends. The "sitting" group was about 1.25" across and the standing was slightly larger (2 of the standing shots made it into the circled sitting group). I'm actually surprised the spread wasn't larger as I always seem to have a flyer :) I might throw an optic on it one day, but for now, I'm trying to get the basics down.

Looks like they're hitting a bit low for a 50yrd zero, but until I get outdoors to a longer range, there's no way to be 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the MK 262 mod 0 I was testing:

Notice the friggin flyer? Argg! This was a sub 1" group if not for that punk :)

I need better targets too. Something with BIG circles I can see.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Every taget I have ever shot has had a flyer ! At least one.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the other ammo I was testing. Basic Remington UMC 55gr .223 - found it at Walmart for $.40/round (ouch!). It's the first .223 I've actually shot.

Two flyers! If I pretend like I don't see them, I have a nice 1" group of 8 shots :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Yep. Sometimes I know as soon as it leaves the barrel and sometimes I just scratch my head :)
Those are the easy ones, at least you know immediately what happened. It's those that you think are spot on and are actually in left field that cause the problems.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I took my S&W M&P15 Sport out for the 4th time to test a couple of new brands of ammo I bought. The range is only 25 yards long, so I focus mainly on grouping. I know that at 25 yards, I POI should be about 1.2" below POA for sights zeroed in at 50 yrds.

The AR is as stock as can be and has flip up BUIS. Here's 10 rounds of IMI M193:

5 shots sitting (resting on a sandbag), then 5 standing. I was aiming for the top of the target where the black circle ends. The "sitting" group was about 1.25" across and the standing was slightly larger (2 of the standing shots made it into the circled sitting group). I'm actually surprised the spread wasn't larger as I always seem to have a flyer :) I might throw an optic on it one day, but for now, I'm trying to get the basics down.

Looks like they're hitting a bit low for a 50yrd zero, but until I get outdoors to a longer range, there's no way to be 100% sure.

It's tough trying to do that under 100 yds...even though we know where the POI should be, it's just not the same on a shorter range...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I hate getting the ruler out to see if it was going to hit where it should have hit had the target been twice as far out.

I'll get out to the 100 yard range soon. It's just quite a bit further away and cost extra $$.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yeah, I hate getting the ruler out to see if it was going to hit where it should have hit had the target been twice as far out.

I'll get out to the 100 yard range soon. It's just quite a bit further away and cost extra $$.

RMD, I hear ya...I wouldn't stress over it though...When you get to the long distance range, it'll be worth the distance and the money...You can make the adjustments and know you're on ...Too frustrating for me on the short range...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RMD, I hear ya...I wouldn't stress over it though...When you get to the long distance range, it'll be worth the distance and the money...You can make the adjustments and know you're on ...Too frustrating for me on the short range...
Yeah, I'm not losing sleep. It's pretty close to the 50yd/200m zero which means it'll do for the zombies should they show up today :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts