Glock Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
as far as i am concerned ruger is just as good as smith for quality. rugers are generally a little more weighty than they need to be but most of the time less expensive. i had ( got stolen ) an sp101 327 magnum that i thought was great but the ammo was hard to find and expensive. the only problem was the sp101 and the gp100 are a little more involved for a full cleaning but not enough to scare me away. another thing about revolvers in general is the lighter and the smaller they are the more recoil. i think it all depends what your looking for in a wheel gun, carry, range,etc. to answer your questions directly, yes ruger makes a fine gun and i would have no problem buying one.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DSCF0291 (640x480).jpg

i missed your link before but i just looked now. that is a pretty gun, it is a distributors exclusive listed under the name of talo on rugers website. talo is a company that takes a manufacturers gun and makes minor changes to it such as grips, sight etc. usually making them nicer looking. the gun in the pic is a s&w 686 plus which is a talo gun. the standard one from smith comes with rubber grips, thats the only difference in this particular case.

·
Registered
188 Posts
mdbullet223,

Nothing wrong or bad with Taurus or Ruger's and others but when it comes to wheel guns I prefer American made Smith & Wesson, that being said Colts on a come back too...

Excuse me for being a little bias I'm a graduate of the Smith & Wesson Academy ..."lol":eek:

Just my two cents...

P.S. I also wish Springfield had their polymer guns made in the USA instead of Croatia...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Ruger and Taurus are good handguns as stated by Alex. I too however, favor S&W and Colt, just personal opinion of course. I have had Rugers over the years and no problems, same with Taurus. Guess I am just old fashioned when it comes to Wheel Guns. To me the most beautiful are the S&W N Series and the Colt Python.

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm a big believer in Ruger quality. One of my favorite wheel gun toys...

Ruger New Vaguero, birdshead grip, high polish stainless, 3 3/4" barrel, .45ACP (not a conversion but 45ACP and marked as such from Ruger).

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have only had experience with Ruger's semis. But from all of the reading I do, I would have no problem buying one of their revolvers. I am a huge fan of Smith & Wesson wheel guns. I have had a lot of experience with them. But, you can't go wrong with a Ruger IMO.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
as far as i am concerned ruger is just as good as smith for quality. rugers are generally a little more weighty than they need to be but most of the time less expensive. i had ( got stolen ) an sp101 327 magnum that i thought was great but the ammo was hard to find and expensive. the only problem was the sp101 and the gp100 are a little more involved for a full cleaning but not enough to scare me away. another thing about revolvers in general is the lighter and the smaller they are the more recoil. i think it all depends what your looking for in a wheel gun, carry, range,etc. to answer your questions directly, yes ruger makes a fine gun and i would have no problem buying one.
I still want one of those SP101's in 327 Fed Mag......and yes...they (Ruger) make great guns...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have three Glocks including a Glock 21. I have never had a revolver so I think it would be fun to have one. I have been thinking of getting a Blackhawk Convertable .45ACP/.45LC since I have a lot of .45 ACP ammo for my glock 21, but would like to try a Colt .45. This way I can shoot both with one gun. Anyone have any comments on this gun.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
There are lots of good wheel guns out there but if you buy used makes sure there is no timing problem. Even though most MFG's will fix their own guns for free; it's a pain in the butt to deal with the mailing process

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'm a big believer in Ruger quality. One of my favorite wheel gun toys...

Ruger New Vaguero, birdshead grip, high polish stainless, 3 3/4" barrel, .45ACP (not a conversion but 45ACP and marked as such from Ruger).
Now that's a pretty gun...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have three Glocks including a Glock 21. I have never had a revolver so I think it would be fun to have one. I have been thinking of getting a Blackhawk Convertable .45ACP/.45LC since I have a lot of .45 ACP ammo for my glock 21, but would like to try a Colt .45. This way I can shoot both with one gun. Anyone have any comments on this gun.
Excellent choice, I have that exact same setup, I use it for my HOT LOADS in 45 LC & 45 ACP. I bought the revolver as soon as Ruger put it on the market. Acquired it at dealer cost only because I purchased a Browning Lightning 12 Guage over under at the same time. He knocked $100 off that as well. Trust me, you won't go wrong!! Jackalope3 MI in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts