Glock Forum banner

Old gunner new to the forum

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  glock23 
#1 ·
Hello to the forum,

I've been hunting and shooting for over 30 of my 45 years and I enjoy shooting for recreation very much. I have recently inherited a very complete reloading outfit with scads of brass and powder and name brand lead for various pistol calibers. Much of it is in .45 and .357 Sig, both are calibers that I do not have a firearm for and in the current economic future, do not plan to acquire. I do however shoot .40 Smith and will be attempting to work out a deal to rid myself of 10,000 .45 brass and other similar items in favor of an inventory of .40.

I have a Glock 27 .40, couldn't tell you what Gen it is, bought it 7-8 years ago and have only put 3-400 rounds through it. It is my de facto home defense pistol and has a special place of security in my home and on my person when I go out. I shoot thousands of rounds of .22 from my Ruger target pistol every year to keep my pistol skills as sharp as I can afford, but now that I have some bargaining chips, I am going to try to shoot much more with the .40. I would love to upgrade the 27, but I'm not sure where to start. I understand that some parts are interchangeable between different generations of Glocks, and some things are not and I've already stated I don't know what Gen I have now.
The 27 is destined to become my wife's CCW and I am looking at the 22 and 23 so that we can keep a commonality of ammo. I think I like the compact over the full size just for the CCW options, especially since I never really enjoyed the grip of the 27, even with the add a round clip extensions.

I am here for advice from those of you who bought Glocks for CCW and home defense purposes and have modified or upgraded those firearms to suit their needs. I would love to hear recommendations spanning the spectrum from which pistol I should buy to replace the one I am giving my wife, the best CCW holsters, add-ons like light and lasers for both guns (which is a problem for the 27 w/o the acc/rail I know) everything!!!! I will be reading through the archives of this forum for a good long while but I really appreciate those of you who are forthcoming about the things that made your pistol right for you and why. Here's hoping for a long and mutually beneficial relationship with this forum.

Godspeed,

-Loco

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. I have a Glock 19 which is a 9mm for my concealed carry weapon. I just recently picked up a Galco Triton IWB holster and love it so far. I have the stock sights and enjoy them. Im thinking about picking up the ghost trigger kit but havent quite sold myself on it yet.

#11 ·
Welcome to the Forum! I change sights on my Glocks, I especially like the red fiber optic front sight, I also have the 3.5# connectors, grip plugs (just cause I like the way they look and I use the SafeTBlok.

#13 ·
Hello and welcome to the community!!

#16 ·
Thanks to all for the warm welcome, makes me all warm and fuzzy on these cool Alabama nights. I will investigate the current list of suggestions, including the question over reloads in regards to overcrimping the bullet in the case. I would ask if this advice is given because of an issue with Glock pistols in particular regarding reloads or if this is a general suggestion as incorrect reloading techniques can create dangerous situations if performed by inexperienced reloaders?

Thanks again for the advice so far, and please, continue. If you happen to see my name on a specific question thread please comment.

-Loco

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for the warm welcome, makes me all warm and fuzzy on these cool Alabama nights. I will investigate the current list of suggestions, including the question over reloads in regards to overcrimping the bullet in the case. I would ask if this advice is given because of an issue with Glock pistols in particular regarding reloads or if this is a general suggestion as incorrect reloading techniques can create dangerous situations if performed by inexperienced reloaders?

Thanks again for the advice so far, and please, continue. If you happen to see my name on a specific question thread please comment.

-Loco
Actually both, I had found a video of a man explaining how a KB happens when reloads are used in an auto and I went back and dug it up so you can watch it

[video=youtube;u5oa3D4SDzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u5oa3D4SDzs[/video]

#18 ·
Thanks Barstool, that was very informative. I hope everybody that reloads straight walled cases, or any ammunition type pays a great deal of attention to crimping and headspace. I will certainly take great care when loading out .40 rounds for my own, and my wifes use. The man whom I acquired all of the reloading supplies from was first and foremost a hand gunner and while he preferred the 1911 .45 he enjoyed his HK USP in .357 Sig as well. He taught me a great deal about the dangers of over crimping straight walled cases as well as the importance of head spacing. I would also agree that buying reloads from any source is a roll of the dice. If you know the reloader and you have valid reason to trust their product than I would not hesitate, but buying blind at gun shows or locally is just not something I'm willing to put my life or the life of my family on.

Again, thanks for digging up that video. The presenter did an excellent job of describing the failure mode he experienced and why.

-Loco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.