Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlefolk,

First time here, for I am seeking wisdom...

First, I generally call into the "number of guns I need is just one more than what I have" camp. In this case, however, maybe I do have more than I need.

Within the same week I ended up with a used Glock 23 Gen 3 - former NYPD piece, and a new 23 Gen4.

These are my first Glocks, a model I have avoided because everyone has a Glock and it looks like it was designed out of Legos. But the price on the NYPD Gen3 was decent, and I had had a bad experience with a S&W Walter PPKS, so what the heck.

Now, deuced if I didn't learn that Glocks simply work. Teardown is a dream, it devours all ammo happily, reasonably accurate in my hands. It is a genuinely nice piece.

Or at least that is my experience with the Gen3. But I also have the Gen4 - which with what putteriing I have done with it I don't like quite as well as Gen3. The surface is rougher than it needs to be, although I have not yet fired it.

So, I thought about keepiing it NIB and maybe in 20 years get my money back out of it, but then I started playing with it, cleaned the factory lube out of it, installed a backstrap, and killed the NIB value, although it is not yet fired.

But since Glock 23s have the rarity of sand on a beach I then thought I would go ahead and shoot it and enjoy it. But it probably is not that different than the Gen3, and I can really one shoot one weapon at a time. And my other .40SW is the Beretta 9000S which I and four other people have bought (and I am still looking for the four other people...) - anyway, I really don't need another .40.

But if I trade in the Gen4 for another piece of some kind,I will be taking a big hit on trade-in value vs. what I paid, since it is no longer NIB.

Sooo..... ideas?

As I see it, I have these options:

1: Accept that against all prejudice, I am now the proud owner of two nice Glocks, use and enjoy both.

2: Keep the Gen4 in an unfired condition in the vague hope that at some obscure point in the future I can sell or trade and recover most of my money, or at least swap for something of equal value to me

3: Trade now for something else and take the hit. An AK is my next perceived need, and I could possibly work a direct swap with someone, athough I would loose maybe $100 or so on the deal.

4: Something else???

Thanks all!

Pier23

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I would trade the gen4 for a G30 or G29 (or one of their bigger brothers)...but that's just me :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would ditch one of the 23's for a 22 or 27. Staying in the same caliber makes ammo management easier and magazines are interchangeable (bigger to smaller).

·
Registered
39 Posts
it looks like it was designed out of Legos.
Had me rolling when I read that one. I don't understand this concept of "too many guns", but I vote to keep and shoot both. By having two, you always have a backup and if you are right handed they will use the same magazines. You could also have them staged in safes in separate parts of the house. If you keep your carry weapon in the bedroom, put the other one in a safe in your living room somewhere. That way you are always close to one and they both feel and shoot the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, all. The current holes in my inventory is for a 9mm and .45. I figger if the balloon goes up, I want to have as many bases covered as possible. My 9mm is a Steyr GB which I adore but no longer in production.

Something to be said for a full size plinker...well...will ponder this for a bit...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have "taken a hit" quite a few times. Life is short, get the handguns you want, money is made to be spent. If it makes you happy, Do It!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which brings up my next question...well, two questions.

Which do youall prefer in the 23 -Gen3 or Gen4, and...
How much have I screwed up my trade in / swap value by cleaning and putting on a backstrap, but not yet having fired?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Which brings up my next question...well, two questions.

Which do youall prefer in the 23 -Gen3 or Gen4, and...
How much have I screwed up my trade in / swap value by cleaning and putting on a backstrap, but not yet having fired?
It's never been fired, so I wouldn't think it's "used" value has decreased much if at all.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I have 10 handguns right now and that's considerably down from what I used to have (15 or so).

I had Glocks before gen4 came out but gen4 for me is really where the love is :D I love my G23 and 22 and see them as a huge improvement over previous generations esp gen3.

If that was me I'd keep the gen4 and sell the used one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blast you folks! I seek clarity and all I get is a collective shrug with side mutterings that boil down to "and your issue is what?"

Guess I will just have to shoot the Gen4... Guns were not invented to be paperweights...well...unless you have a S&W PPKS but that is a different thread.....

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I would go with the Gen4 since they have worked out the spring problems on this version. I have and love a 23 Gen3 but the next will be a Gen4

·
Registered
188 Posts
Blast you folks! I seek clarity and all I get is a collective shrug with side mutterings that boil down to "and your issue is what?"

Guess I will just have to shoot the Gen4... Guns were not invented to be paperweights...well...unless you have a S&W PPKS but that is a different thread.....
Yuo are right about the PPKS, and the Interarms ones aren't any better IMHO, but in defense of the PPK, if you miss your first shot, and can't get a second shot off due to malfunction as usually the case, it is heavy enough to give your attacker a nasty bump on the head when you throw it at him.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts