Glock Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
" He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber."

I cant even think of anything to say about this.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I hate that kid is dead but this...
"Dixon died shortly after 7 p.m. Thursday when he accidentally shot himself in the head with his .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol, according to local reports. Dixon was showing his gun to two friends at an apartment in Stamford at the time of the incident. He had removed the magazine from the pistol and, thinking it was empty, tried to show the gun was safe by pointing it toward his head and pulling the trigger, the newspaper reported. One round was hidden in the gun's chamber."

Someone should feel like an idiot for providing him a handgun and not teaching him the basic rules of safety. Seems he violated the rule of common sense also.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's amazing how often those hidden rounds in the chamber sneak up and kill innocent people. At least he didn't kill someone else - one could make a comment regarding the Darwin Principle, but that might not be sensitive enough. This is just plain tragic.

While I realize how cold all this may sound, I can't count how many times it's some little kid killing a parent, sibling, or neighbor with the same hidden round in the chamber in those otherwise unloaded guns. Then again, most of that is Kentucky...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
not the 1st time this exact scenario has played out just this year. Not sure what's happening to people. Common sense is free so it can't be the economy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Personally, I think you can tell the guys who were raised around guns v/s those who weren't. I was careful yet persistent to take my sons to hunter safety training, took them hunting with me from an early age (they bird dogged squirrels for me when they were 6 or 7), and persisted to take them hunting until they both bagged their first deer and many squirrels. They've known their way around guns since they were in single digits. I swear my oldest is Daniel Boone reincarnate.

So many of these guys get their first introductions to guns from gangsta videos and video games... and they never once get any useful instruction from anybody. Just 'cause you have the cash and no criminal background doesn't mean you qualify to own a gun. I've heard the phrase "too stupid to live" used on occasion, but that's a little harsh.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
"Just 'cause you have the cash and no criminal background doesn't mean you qualify to own a gun."

Actually, it does...And rightly so...While your point is well taken, we can't require people to want to be trained...That's why it's so important for us to be willing to teach those that do want to learn, and share the sport. If we required mandatory training for ownership, we'd have more gvt. involvement and control. Then they would want to tell us what type of firearms we can have...well, you can see where this is going...Your point is valid within the common sense realm, outside of control. Having said that, I'm glad that the states regulating/requiring training for CC do so...That minimal training does help some of those people to get a grasp of the dangers , etc. Then there are the states that don't require any training...boy oh boy...

·
Registered
115 Posts
"Just 'cause you have the cash and no criminal background doesn't mean you qualify to own a gun."

Actually, it does...And rightly so...While your point is well taken, we can't require people to want to be trained...That's why it's so important for us to be willing to teach those that do want to learn, and share the sport. If we required mandatory training for ownership, we'd have more gvt. involvement and control. Then they would want to tell us what type of firearms we can have...well, you can see where this is going...Your point is valid within the common sense realm, outside of control. Having said that, I'm glad that the states regulating/requiring training for CC do so...That minimal training does help some of those people to get a grasp of the dangers , etc. Then there are the states that don't require any training...boy oh boy...
Fair enough; my statement was not intended as a political or legal statement but rather one borne of a pragmatic responsibility perspective. This training has traditionally been performed from father to son and so on and so forth. But in the vacuum of the broken home - the fatherless family - the cards are stacked against the average child growing up in the US ever learning a vast number of things, not the least of which is responsible firearm ownership and handling. I do NOT want to go here, but take the case of driving. Anyone who grew up on a farm was likely driving when they were 8 or 9, yet we require training in most - if not all - jurisdictions for a person to be allowed to legally drive. The minimum training required to obtain a license would seem to be justified, and yet despite it all, insurance actuarials will tell you the average male will experience 2.5 accidents before they figure it all out. The question is... will they survive those 2.5 accidents? Some will, some will not.

The consequences of an accident with a firearm is so often far more devastating than the fender-benders most of us experienced before we finally figured out how to drive. This is the cause of the increase which you mentioned... and we all know this all too well. From a strictly legal and/or political perspective, you are absolutely correct and I agree 100%; from the perspective of a responsible citizen and a parent, I stand behind my statement. My wife and I have helped raise several other young men in our home... several of which are to this day insufficiently mature to safely handle a gun of any kind. Yet I stand behind their right to purchase firearms unabridged as long as they qualify and meet the minimum requirements. This dichotomy of beliefs, however, will continue to result in tragic events such as the one in this thread. It is the unfortunate consequence of a free society.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You are right, Randy, and I stand with you, to that point. It's sad that so many people have firearms and no real training or understanding of what's at stake...
Some of those freedoms we have can come with great consequence, if we don't maintain them responsibly...on that I know we agree.. :)

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Lack of training and basic firearm knowledge is indeed the issue here. Rowabi is right that more control leads to more restrictions, in a perfect world taking a simple and detailed safety course (and no farther pressure or restrictions from antis) would help save countless lives. Every time I pick up a gun I always take a peak in the chamber even if I'm 99.99% sure it's unloaded, just a habit I guess.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Lack of training and basic firearm knowledge is indeed the issue here. Rowabi is right that more control leads to more restrictions, in a perfect world taking a simple and detailed safety course (and no farther pressure or restrictions from antis) would help save countless lives. Every time I pick up a gun I always take a peak in the chamber even if I'm 99.99% sure it's unloaded, just a habit I guess.
They are "all loaded". That's the way it SHOULD be viewed!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Gray_Wolf and ArmyCobra1 make a great point...we can't take it for granted...we treat it like it's loaded even when we may know it isn't...and because of that we find ourselves checking/clearing a weapon we already know is unloaded...which brings us back to the point...It's always loaded...!!! :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts