Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is when you carry do you have bullet in the chamber ready to fire or just loaded mag ready to go??? Ive only carried a few times and i never had one in the chamber, I liked the safety of knowing that i have to cock the gun for it to fire. I know the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Maybe with more training of holstering and unholstering my gun i will feel more confident to carry it loaded.It will take more time to cock the gun and it could mean life or death and I know if you carry you should be ready to protect yourself and make that final decision that you have to live with for the rest of your life.I ran many senarios in my head and im ready to do what i have to do to protect myself and my family While carrying. My gun at home is always loaded and in a safe place. I wanna start carrying more so Opinions and thoughts are needed. Thanks.... Fire on!

Reactions: free2scour

·
Registered
960 Posts
My question is when you carry do you have bullet in the chamber ready to fire or just loaded mag ready to go??? Ive only carried a few times and i never had one in the chamber, I liked the safety of knowing that i have to cock the gun for it to fire. I know the gun will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Maybe with more training of holstering and unholstering my gun i will feel more confident to carry it loaded.It will take more time to cock the gun and it could mean life or death and I know if you carry you should be ready to protect yourself and make that final decision that you have to live with for the rest of your life.I ran many senarios in my head and im ready to do what i have to do to protect myself and my family While carrying. My gun at home is always loaded and in a safe place. I wanna start carrying more so Opinions and thoughts are needed. Thanks.... Fire on!
I keep one in the chamber 24/7! No kids in the house, only my girlfriend that knows how to fire it. In a real world situation where you have to draw to protect yourself, you have absolutely no time to rack the slide! If you carry the proper holster, you will never have to worry about a Glock "going off" at the wrong time! So, if you are going to carry concealed, not having a round chambered, to me, is like not having a firearm! You have to be ready at all times and if you are new at firearms in general, I highly suggest that you take a safety course. Lot's of valuable information that you can learn. But, like I said, if you aren't comfortable carrying with a round chambered, IMO, you shouldn't be carrying concealed, yet. Not trying to sound rude, but it is the plain truth! Good luck to you!:)

Reactions: nvillekat and Alex

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Most people carry with one in the chamber so if you have to use the gun all you have to do is draw and fire. If you're not comfortable with that yet, that's ok because you don't want to feel unsafe or have an accidental discharge. While you're getting used to the gun and CCW get some snap caps, load them (keep live ammo away and make sure they're snap caps every time you do this!) and practice your draw, cambering and pulling the trigger. Once you feel it's fast and smooth to your linking you can close your eyes before you draw and open them after you pull the trigger, keeping the gun pointed where it would've fired you can see if the sights are aligned. It shouldn't take too long to develop the muscle memory; every time you point the gun it's on target and not pointing up or down.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
the age old question...ask yourself can you chamber one fast enough before the BG gets a shot off because he carrys with one in the chamber
saf-t-bloc are nice but to easy to lose; try or at lease look at a MIC holster

Reactions: deepconceal

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree about a snap cap in the chamber for now. Get more comfortable, make sure your handling (and hoster) is safe, and over time doing this you will gain confidence probably that you can carry it safely with a round in the chamber.

I carry a Glock 23C off duty with a round in the chamber. In my trunk off duty is a Colt LE carbine with a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
the age old question...ask yourself can you chamber one fast enough before the BG gets a shot off because he carrys with one in the chamber
saf-t-bloc are nice but to easy to lose; try or at lease look at a MIC holster
I agree about a MIC holster, but I have been using the Safe T Bloks for a long time and have yet to lose one. In an emergency situation I would push the blok out of the way and not worry about losing it.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I always carry chambered...Don't want to have to think about it...but what you shared is understandable, and just work with it until you're comfortable...And when you do for the first time, you'll feel like everyone can see that round in the chamber of your gun..lol...but they can't, and you'll realize that soon enough...

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
chambered or not is a hard question to answer for all the obvious reasons. but there is only one answer and that is chambered! i think most people are chambered shy because of the light trigger pull. a suggestion might be to practice carrying a revolver and keep track of how many times you accidentally hit the trigger. you will probably find none. therefore a chambered g23 would not be any different. the trigger guard is there to do just that: guard the trigger. with the right self training you should be well protected and safe. if a situation arises the only thing you should be thinking about is draw, fire and stop the thret, and this should happen in a matter of a few seconds.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I keep one in the chamber 24/7! No kids in the house, only my girlfriend that knows how to fire it. In a real world situation where you have to draw to protect yourself, you have absolutely no time to rack the slide! If you carry the proper holster, you will never have to worry about a Glock "going off" at the wrong time! So, if you are going to carry concealed, not having a round chambered, to me, is like not having a firearm! You have to be ready at all times and if you are new at firearms in general, I highly suggest that you take a safety course. Lot's of valuable information that you can learn. But, like I said, if you aren't comfortable carrying with a round chambered, IMO, you shouldn't be carrying concealed, yet. Not trying to sound rude, but it is the plain truth! Good luck to you!:)
What he said ... One in the pipe all the time ...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Lots of people think it will be easy to JUST chamber a round when needed but the video shows 'easier said than done"

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Lots of people think it will be easy to JUST chamber a round when needed but the video shows 'easier said than done"
The same applies if there is a safety to disengage unless you have practiced a lot with the weapon. The old saying is "Beware of a man that only has one gun" because he will be very familiar with it and its operating system. That is one of the reasons I like Glocks, no matter the caliber or the size they all work and operate the same.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The same applies if there is a safety to disengage unless you have practiced a lot with the weapon. The old saying is "Beware of a man that only has one gun" because he will be very familiar with it and its operating system. That is one of the reasons I like Glocks, no matter the caliber or the size they all work and operate the same.
Well said...
Simply "carrying" a weapon is not enough...It's not a magic wand that will keep bad things away from you...so many people get lured into a false sense of security because they have a firearm.........Being willing to use it, and having it in "ready-mode" for your protection are paramount to having a chance when danger presents itself...There are not many second chances...sorry to see this outcome for this man...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts