Glock Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Driving around today doing some shopping with the better half and her mom. I was carrying my 36 IWB. I was driving her mothers SUV as I always do. We were in a very rural community that is well known for lots of LEO's for such a small town. Came to an intersection where 2 officers were blocking the road. (About 3 in the afternoon). He asked me for license, registration and proof of insurance. I handed him all of those documents and my concealed carry permit. He just smiled and as he handed everything back to me and said have a great day. Point being, if you are legal to carry, I have learned from my best friend, (LEO) that they would prefer to know you are carrying up front. And, he was right! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
If you are in your car and they run your plate they already know. Some states it’s not a requirement (Texas for one) to tell unless you are asked. Me I see no reason not to tell, after all (some will say no way but) only 25 % of the population of the USA (states that require a background check) can get a CCW permit

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
In Texas if you have a CCW and are carrying you are required to inform the Police Officer. When he runs your Drivers License for W&W it will show that you do have a CCW. This pertains to any time you are having an 'official conversation' with an officer, not just asking directions or having a casual talk.

I figure I will get challanged on this so here is the Web Site that specifies.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Sec. 411.205. Requirement to Display License.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
Note: When an Officer ask you for ID you must then give them your Permit/License to Carry, if you are carrying at that time when you give them your ID. If not you are breaking the law. There is no penalty if you don’t inform them but as a law abiding citizen we must follow the law.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think most LEOs feel the same - especially in the more 2A friendly states.

In CO, your CHP isn't necessarily tied to any other information about you, and it's not a "must inform" state. So if it's really concealed, you could go through an entire encounter without saying anything. But if there's any chance at all that your handgun will be seen, it's just plain common sense to let 'em know up front.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
In Texas if you have a CCW and are carrying you are required to inform the Police Officer. When he runs your Drivers License for W&W it will show that you do have a CCW. This pertains to any time you are having an 'official conversation' with an officer, not just asking directions or having a casual talk.

I figure I will get challanged on this so here is the Web Site that specifies.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Sec. 411.205. Requirement to Display License.
If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder , the lic display identificationense holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.
Note:[B] When an Officer ask you for ID you must then give them your Permit/License to Carry[/B], if you are carrying at that time when you give them your ID. If not you are breaking the law. There is no penalty if you don’t inform them but as a law abiding citizen we must follow the law.
I think it is to your benefit to do so but until asked YOU are not required to show it. There is no penalty for not showing it if not asked. This was changed last year

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I think it is to your benefit to do so but until asked YOU are not required to show it. There is no penalty for not showing it if not asked. This was changed last year
Please show me where to find the change.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The officers weren't getting on the computer or radio to run my info because they didn't suspect anything. However on the other side of the coin, there was another car that a different officer had pulled off to the shoulder of the road cause apparently something "wasn't right". I never had to pull to the side of the road. He just spoke to me standing in the street. And like I said, very rural. We were in the middle of an upper class neighborhood. Very little traffic. :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Please show me where to find the change.
I did a search and there is way too much reading to prove a point so I will refer you to a very good site for Texas CHL holders and you can search that archives. It is owned and run by Charles Cotton (lawyer), very active in the TSRA and the NRA here in Texas. A lot of members are CHL instructors and cops so if you are not a member of this site and have a CHL it is a good chance to stay up on the laws of our state. Check it out and get back with me

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

EDIT: I encourage everyone that has a CHL/CCW to hook up with your state CCW sites; they pass along info that could keep you out of jail

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I did a search and there is way too much reading to prove a point so I will refer you to a very good site for Texas CHL holders and you can search that archives. It is owned and run by Charles Cotton (lawyer), very active in the TSRA and the NRA here in Texas. A lot of members are CHL instructors and cops so if you are not a member of this site and have a CHL it is a good chance to stay up on the laws of our state. Check it out and get back with me

TexasCHLforum.com • Index page

EDIT: I encourage everyone that has a CHL/CCW to hook up with your state CCW sites; they pass along info that could keep you out of jail
Thank you for the refferel to the site, I have registered and it is now in my favorite places folder. Here is what I found that was an answer from the Attorney you mentioned.

Re: Dallas Police Officer threatens to Revoke my license

by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

There has never been a duty to show your CHL unless you are armed. (I recommend doing so anyway.) In 2009, we removed the penalty for failing to display your CHL even if you are armed. If the officer does submit an affidavit to DPS for suspension, his incompetency will be on display for everyone.

Chas.

As in the info I submitted in my earlier post evidently they removed the penalty but not the law. Doesent make much sense. Either way if I am stopped whether armed or not (and I always am) I will show both my drivers license and my CCW and inform the officer of my being armed or unarmed.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
It’s a good site for staying up on the laws and rules, I look through there quit often because people go there for answer to problems and things that arose in every day carry here in Texas. Another site you might want to put in your favorites is the Texas3006.com and they post all the places that post 30.06 sights and make mention of if the signs are legally posted properly. They call it the "wall of shame"

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home

Reactions: RMD

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you are in your car and they run your plate they already know. Some states it’s not a requirement (Texas for one) to tell unless you are asked. Me I see no reason not to tell, after all (some will say no way but) only 25 % of the population of the USA (states that require a background check) can get a CCW permit
The only problem with that was that it wasn't my vehicle. The owner was in the back seat and she doesn't carry or own a firearm.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
The only problem with that was that it wasn't my vehicle. The owner was in the back seat and she doesn't carry or own a firearm.
Like you I tell even if I am not carrying, considering only 25% of the population of Texas can get a CHL I like to be seen as a good guy

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
When they run your info in Texas an asteric shows up behind your name showing there is more info available. That info includes Wants, Warrants and shows if you have a CCW. So it makes sense to tell the Officer beforehand. I work as a volunteer with my local Police Dept and I have never heard anything negative from them about CCWs, only that they indicate to them that person has a clean record.

One of the Officers even told me that when he was informed by a motorist he had stopped for a traffic violation that he had a CCW but was not armed, the Officer Said "Why not? You should be since you are entitled to be" He said that it seemed to him that most of the people he stops have CCWs but are not armed at the time.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
When they run your info in Texas an asteric shows up behind your name showing there is more info available. That info includes Wants, Warrants and shows if you have a CCW. So it makes sense to tell the Officer beforehand. I work as a volunteer with my local Police Dept and I have never heard anything negative from them about CCWs, only that they indicate to them that person has a clean record.

One of the Officers even told me that when he was informed by a motorist he had stopped for a traffic violation that he had a CCW but was not armed, the Officer Said "Why not? You should be since you are entitled to be" He said that it seemed to him that most of the people he stops have CCWs but are not armed at the time.
That is interesting. I have to agree with the officer. If you have the right to carry concealed, why wouldn't you? I have always heard "that quick trip to the corner store or gas station" might just be the time when you may need it. So, that being said, I don't EVER leave the house without a firearm. Don't want to be an unfortunate statistic!

Also being 5'8 at 160 lbs with a disability certainly doesn't give me the option of a physical confrontation!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Thank you for the refferel to the site, I have registered and it is now in my favorite places folder. Here is what I found that was an answer from the Attorney you mentioned.

Re: Dallas Police Officer threatens to Revoke my license

by Charles L. Cotton » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

There has never been a duty to show your CHL unless you are armed. (I recommend doing so anyway.) In 2009, we removed the penalty for failing to display your CHL even if you are armed. If the officer does submit an affidavit to DPS for suspension, his incompetency will be on display for everyone.

Chas.

As in the info I submitted in my earlier post evidently they removed the penalty but not the law. Doesent make much sense. Either way if I am stopped whether armed or not (and I always am) I will show both my drivers license and my CCW and inform the officer of my being armed or unarmed.
Good practice...and common sense...!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It’s a good site for staying up on the laws and rules, I look through there quit often because people go there for answer to problems and things that arose in every day carry here in Texas. Another site you might want to put in your favorites is the Texas3006.com and they post all the places that post 30.06 sights and make mention of if the signs are legally posted properly. They call it the "wall of shame"

Texas3006.com - Your 30.06 Information Resource - Home
Last time I drove to Texas, I remember being on the lookout for a legal 30.06 sign. I don't think I ever saw one :)

There is a bank in town, though, that has an 8x10 photocopy of the 30.06 sign on its door. Too funny!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
VA has no "Duty to Inform' law. It's my policy that I don't tell anyone if I'm carrying unless the law requires. I know I'm not a threat to them so I'm not playing my hand since I don't know who they are. Remember just because they flash a blue light or knock at your door and announce police doesn't make them police. I haven't worked as an LEO in VA but I do believe the CCL information is on file when they run a tag check. there should be some brothers in blue from VA that can confirm that here. I had an officer once ask me if I was carrying when I got pulled for speeding. I told him I was, he asked where and I told him. He simply asked me to not make any quick moves to that area. I of course complied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts