Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a problem with the slide stop lever instal on my gen 3 G27...... I can not get the slide release retaining pin out! It seems to be seized. Ive watches 4 or five videos on you tube and everyone else seems to get there pin out fairly easy..... Has anyone ran across this problem? Any suggestions? Been working at this for hours and it just won't budge..... Using punch and rubber mallet. Don't wanna end up forcing it and breaking something.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Don't use the mallet - it's really not needed.

Are you removing the pins from left to right (as you hold the gun in front of you as if you're going to shoot it)?

Did you remove the locking block pin first (top one - also first pin back in when you're reassembling)?

The trigger pin (bottom) has two grooves and the slide stop lever sits in one of them. While putting pressure on the pin with the punch, move the slide stop lever forwards and backwards. That will help it move off the grove in the pin.

And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I had the same problem and what he said, put the hammer down and step away from the bench.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had responded with a post not realizing I misread and thought you were replacing the slide stop with an extended slide stop. I did that already and I was thinking about replacing the lever in my Glocks but not sure I want to try it if it's difficult. The slide stop was very easy. Good Luck and welcome!:)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The easiest way is to get something with a hole like a roll of tape and place the pin over the hole. Take a hammer and your punch and as you wiggle the Slide Stop tap with the hammer. If the gun is new it will be tight and also there is a ridge on the pin that the Slide Stop can catch on. Wiggling it as you tap will release it. It will get easier to remove over time.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I used a roll of tape with a soft rag laying over it to remove the slide stop pin. Worked well. (Saw it on youtube)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes..... Yes ive tried wiggling the lever and a bunch of other things....still no luck...... Perhaps there's a problem elsewhere.... Gun is pretty new ( about 500 rnds). gun mods are usually pretty easy for me being that I feel that I'm mechanically inclided (I am a diesel mechanic). But this one has got me stuck..... Literally. Ive applied lots of pressure to the pin and even hit it pretty hard with the mallet. Still won't budge

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Highly frustrated now.... I pretty sure it's not suppose to be this difficult..... Im Gonna call it quiets before something gets damaged or broken (don't feel to comfortable putting that much stress on a polymer frame) I'll just deal with the factory lever for now. Maybe have a smith look at it some time in the future

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
What I had to do was field strip the gun and then brace it on a roll of tape (allows the pin to drop) with the slide release facing up. Put the punch on the pin and push, if the pin doesn't move tap it lightly with a hammer. Mine took a fairly good tap before it popped out but wiggle the pin up and down in and out. The trigger pin had two groves in it so it doesn't walk out

[video=youtube;NQbYqWBLa9w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbYqWBLa9w[/video]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea thanks but already seen that video.... Tried wiggling the lever back and forth, up and down with a significant amound a pressure on the pin.... Still no luck. Even gave it a few "love taps" with a hammer. Still no movement from the pin

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
like I said mine took a goody wack before it broke loose. heck I was wondering it thew darn thing was glued in

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Take it to a gunsmith; at least it will be covered if it gets damaged. it shouldn't be that hard so something is grabbing the pin groves

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
All I am saying is I just changed out my trigger and did a ext months ago and I was surprised how tight the pin was in. it kind of scared me too but with a goody tap it popped out. Check it out and make sure the slide lock isn't in the grove and stopping the pin from coming out, move the slide lock without lifting it up back and forth as you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got the lever installed..... Had to work up the balls to whack the hell out of my glock! Hope I didnt rattle any springs or other pins loose in the process. Did the same mod on my friends G23 and it came out without a problem, still don't know what was going on with mine..... Thanks for the support and insite guys

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Finally got the lever installed..... Had to work up the balls to whack the hell out of my glock! Hope I didnt rattle any springs or other pins loose in the process. Did the same mod on my friends G23 and it came out without a problem, still don't know what was going on with mine..... Thanks for the support and insite guys
It probably a combination of being new and the pin was binding. It gets easier over time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts