Glock Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just joined, having a couple issues with my G19 and G26. It's complicated, so hopefully, I can explain it well.

1. My G19 is about 20 yrs old, I got it right when they first came out - maybe it's called Gen2 since it's not a 17. It was one of the first guns I bought and got it new. I have never had an issue with it, maybe one stovepipe early on blamed on limp wrist syndrome. I have six mags from that time: two flat bottom, three factory +2, and one 33 round with the +2 factory floor plate. Again, no functional issues with any of these. So I bought two new 15 round mags last week from Midway because they weren't jacked up pricing and in stock - figured it wouldn't hurt. I loaded one up last night and tried to cycle the mag empty to test feeding. It kept failing - stripping the new shell jammed it up, like every 2 or 3 rounds. I stopped that and looked at the mag. It is a new gen 4 or whatever and is suppose to be backwards compatible but I'm afraid it isn't. Upon inspection, the top of the magazine is totally different, squared instead of rounded like my originals (check pic). I get my G26 out and it's got the square (newer) shape. I think my G26 is what they call the Gen 2.5 since it I bought it the first year it was out (also new in box).

I did have some issues using the larger (older) magazines in the G26, but it turns out the two piece rod/spring is bent and I need to get that looked at. I was thinking it was related to the bent rod, but the G26 magazines (with the square cutout) were much more reliable. The G26 has not been as reliable but now that I've discovered the bent rod, I am going to contact Glock to have them replace rod or look at it or whatever they do. I should have done this years ago, but just kept using my G19 and locked the 26 up and forgot about it.

I looked around and tried to search different forums, but the problem is so specific, I had poor results. So I am thinking there is a compatibility issue and maybe my G19 needs to be updated or something. Gonna call Glock about these issues, but wanted to see if anyone else has run into this combination of magazines and guns not working together. I have attached a picture that makes it clear, maybe didn't need the verbose explanation.

Edit: forgot to mention that the newly purchased mags do not seem to seat well in my G19, much looser fit. My original mags have to be pulled out sometimes and the new ones drop free. Yes, they are seated, just loose.

mag_comparo.jpg

2. 3 of my original mags are cracking up the back - along the level check holes. I know, they are 20 yrs old, but I don't drop them or anything. If anything, they have been sitting fully loaded and the stress pushed them apart enough to cause the cracks. That's the reason why I was getting the new mags, figured I would just replace them. But now, if there is an issue and the new mags won't work, I don't know what to do.

cracked_mag.jpg

I'm hoping Glock will step up and help me with the issues, but am thinking about selling them and moving on if they say sorry, nothing they can do. I had 3 different calibers years ago and settled on these two guns to whittle down my ammo and for compatibility.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just purchased a G19 about 2 or 3 weeks ago and my mags are the new design in your picture. They must have changed mag design and they will not interchange. That could be my only guess. Someone else here could probably be of more help.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I will be keeping a watch on this thread as I am under the impression that older Glock mags fit newer same caliber Glock models and vice-versa. Please be sure and advise us as to Glock's stance on this matter.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Actually it looks like you have GEN 1 mags by the Glock armor's manual page 21 it shows the different gens. Try and use some rubber O rings on the bottom of the mags to make them tighter in the mag well and stop the rocking. There is some other differences also like the shape of the top and the slot in the front of the mag

mag.jpg http://glock.mattvanderhoff.com/pdf/glock-unofficial-armorers-manual.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to the unofficial armorers manual - page 3 has a similar pic to mine, so my old mags are Gen1 - not fully metal lined.

I am going to contact Glock Monday and find out what the solution is. I don't want to use shims/o-rings and that won't solve the failure to feed issues well enough to make me comfortable to use them in a life or death situation.

The issue comes down to - I only have 6 mags that will work with my G19 and three are cracked and I don't want to use them. Any new mags I buy for it will be hack jobs to get them working. I went with Glock early on because it was cutting edge, reliable, inexpensive (as compared to HK and Sig) and I liked the way it felt. Maybe it's time for me to sell and re-evaluate my options - I'll post responses from Glock.

Any other input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Welcome to the forum ,keep us posted as to what solution GLOCK comes up with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I got to call them today - the "tech support" guy sounded like he was too busy to talk to me...but I tried to explain the issues and his responses were.

1. Send the 19 back for warranty work and they probably need to replace the internals

2. He said the rod/spring issue is not a warranty issue and told me how to use the internet to buy a new one - thanks for that buddy

3. Didn't even want to ask about the cracked magazines

Not happy with the call personally. Thinking of moving up the chain there or just sending the 26 back for warranty work too. The gun has probably 50 rounds through it and looks brand new. As a matter of fact, when I took it to my LGS to have them look at it - they commented on how clean it was and that it looked brand new. I gave the guy the SN of the 26, so he might have noted it somewhere but he didn't ask for the SN of the 19. I don't think he was a "phone support" cubicle guy (you know how lots of support asks for your name and some other info to put in or check the database), I think he was more of a guy who works on the guns and answers the phone when it rings. Not a professional interaction unfortunately, I didn't even get his name.

The warranty procedure is to ship the gun back to them overnight via UPS/Fed EX, so that won't be cheap. A new recoil rod/spring is less, so I will probably just buy one - but they could drop one in a bubble bag and send it to me in the mail for like $3 and make me happy. I even think there may be a recall for the part, I should look into that more. I might ship the guns together if possible since I do need to send the 19 in, but getting the push back from this guy is seriously eating at me and I might try to talk to someone else or escalate the issue.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The polymers were changed over the years too. I remember that the 1st magazines over time would become squishy over time and the sided would bow out which caused them to be a tighter fit. They have fixed that in the later generations by increasing the metal insert strength. You want your magazine to drop free. We used to be taught to "Grip and Rip" on the older Glocks magazines but no longer. Thank you Glock for fixing that. This makes tactical reloads much easier and more efficient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts