Glock Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live in the hinterlands of northern AZ. We all carry something, but we didn't buy it here.

I had a Glock 19 several years back. When the 30 came out, I eagerly traded "up." After a few years I began to develop a little arthritis in my hands, causing a slight "hitch" in my trigger finger resulting in random flyers as the trigger finger twitched. I discovered that the problem was exacerbated by my relatively stubby fingers and the fat double-stack grip of the 30. I traded to a full sized 1911-style .45 and still enjoy it.

However, I am not a big guy and decided to get another pistol for concealed carry. The shop that I've frequented for quite a few years no longer carries Glock, he has a few reasons that seem somewhat weak - bordering on lame. However, before I had time to think it through I bought a Kahr, which isn't a bad gun, but now that I've put a few boxes through it I find that it is not really to my liking.

Here's the reason for this post (finally). I haven't had the opportunity to handle a plethora of Glocks. There aren't any "local" shops that have any Glocks in stock! I can order pretty much anything, but I'd sure like to know that it will fit my hand first. I had the 19 which fit my hand well and the 30 which didn't. My daughter has a Gen-4 17 that also fits my had well, without any additional back strap. Is there a Glock with a 4" barrel that shoots .45 and has a grip equivalent to the 17? From their website it appears that the 36 is the only thing and it is TOO compact for my liking.

Would the 23 in .40 be a good fit? I haven't shot .40 in quite a few years and I have no recollection of how "hot" it is compared to the .45 and I have no idea how it would feel coming out of something light like a Glock. When the time comes to make a real selection, I'll probably have to visit "the Valley" to visit a shop with a range, but I'd like to have an idea of my options first. (I guess you can tell that I'm not partial to 9mm...)

One of the "local" dealers said that all of the Gen-4 pistols had been recalled for faulty recoil springs. Is this true? My daughter's bought her 17 in Phoenix last month and hasn't heard anything about a recall. Should she be concerned?

Thanks for reading and for any thoughts you'd like to share.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Hey McQ. Welcome to the forum. The G23 is a good choice. It's not overly thick or large so that it can't be concealed easily. The .40 in the G23 is a little hotter just because the barrel length is not there like a full size G22, but it's not unbearable at all. Glock did have a problem with the recoil springs on the first few runs of the Gen 4 series but they say they have them worked out now. All new units that are shipping are fine. They are doing a recall on the spring assembly so when you get one you can call Glock to see if it's a bad spring and they will send you a new one if it is.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
The G23, G19 and G32 are all the same dimensions. Recoil is, of course, subjective. To me the 40 has too much flip to it, I much prefer the 357 auto round as to me it has more 'push back' like the 45acp. Out of the three models I listed, the G32 would be my pick, and I feel the same as you about the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Is there a Glock with a 4" barrel that shoots .45 and has a grip equivalent to the 17? From their website it appears that the 36 is the only thing and it is TOO compact for my liking.

One of the "local" dealers said that all of the Gen-4 pistols had been recalled for faulty recoil springs. Is this true? My daughter's bought her 17 in Phoenix last month and hasn't heard anything about a recall. Should she be concerned?
Welcome to the forum!

The G36 really isn't that "compact" like the G26/27/33. It's closer in size to the compacts with a slightly thinner grip. If you're OK with 7 rounds, it might be just what you're looking for.

Have your daughter (or yourself) call Glock and they'll let you know if any parts need replacing. They'll take care of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been perusing the Glock website and I finally figured out one of the problems I experienced with the G30 that doesn't show up in their dimensions. They show lots of measurements including grip width, but they never mention the distance from the center of the backstrap to the center of the trigger. That was the critical dimension that made the G30 a no-go for me.

The G36 is .08" narrower even than the Gen-4 G19 and .20" narrower than my old G30, but without holding it there is no way to compare the actual trigger reach. OTOH, I never really liked the way the G30 felt with the shortened grip. Maybe that was because it was so fat - I'm confusing myself.

I'd really like a single-stack .45 with a full-length grip, 4" barrel, and a trigger reach comparable to the Gen-4 G19. Probably not going to happen. I may be stuck with my Kahr.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glock still makes the G30SF which is a double stack, but narrower from the back of the grip to the trigger. You might try that one. I have no experience with the G36 though.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've been perusing the Glock website and I finally figured out one of the problems I experienced with the G30 that doesn't show up in their dimensions. They show lots of measurements including grip width, but they never mention the distance from the center of the backstrap to the center of the trigger. That was the critical dimension that made the G30 a no-go for me.

The G36 is .08" narrower even than the Gen-4 G19 and .20" narrower than my old G30, but without holding it there is no way to compare the actual trigger reach. OTOH, I never really liked the way the G30 felt with the shortened grip. Maybe that was because it was so fat - I'm confusing myself.

I'd really like a single-stack .45 with a full-length grip, 4" barrel, and a trigger reach comparable to the Gen-4 G19. Probably not going to happen. I may be stuck with my Kahr.
Is there a gun shop or range near you where you could handle the G36 or the G30SF?

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The G36 really isn't that "compact" like the G26/27/33. It's closer in size to the compacts with a slightly thinner grip. If you're OK with 7 rounds, it might be just what you're looking for.

Have your daughter (or yourself) call Glock and they'll let you know if any parts need replacing. They'll take care of it.

+1 on the G36...not for everyone, but I love 'em...Try one out, you might just like it...I like big bullets too, lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts