Glock Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Glock 17 early gen. (no accessory rail) that I bought used about 7 years ago. It has sat for some time in the drawer with 9 rounds in the mag and now when pull the slide back to load it the round gets jammed. (see pic) It didn't do this before and I'm wondering if it is because it sat with rounds in the mag for a couple of years. Maybe a spring issue? The gun is clean and oiled.

Thanks! View attachment 1242 Glock jam2.jpg Glock jam3.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
depending on what oil you use and how long it sat there could be some gumming of the system. A quick cleaning should taker care of it. Also try some new rounds.

·
Registered
178 Posts
have you tried a different mag? if the feed lips are giving on that one its a possibility. It wasnt stored with the slide back was it? after a quick cleaning like was mentioned if it still does it thats where I would start looking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Hopps stuff to clean the gun. I do have a 2nd mag for it so maybe I will try that one. It was not stored with the slide back. Thanks guys for the input.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I have a garden hose and it has a brass spray head and if I leave it on to long it oxidizes and I can't get the spray attachment off. Now I am not saying this is your problem but when brass makes contact with steel for a period of time it can oxidize and cause problems.

You can test the spring by holding the gun at a 45% angle facing up, pull the slide back all the way and release it slowly. the slide should go back to a locking position without help

Reactions: NName591

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have a garden hose and it has a brass spray head and if I leave it on to long it oxidizes and I can't get the spray attachment off. Now I am not saying this is your problem but when brass makes contact with steel for a period of time it can oxidize and cause problems.

You can test the spring by holding the gun at a 45% angle facing up, pull the slide back all the way and release it slowly. the slide should go back to a locking position without help
Thanks for the tip. It's why I come here.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Change ammo, change mags, should work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts