Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... so since my dominant hand (right) is still in a soft cast, and since my physical therapist has suggested an 8-week hiatus from shooting with my right hand, I decided to go to the range today to see how bad the left hand can possibly be. Turns out, not all that bad. I put 82 rounds through the gun left-handed... ~55 with two hands, the rest one handed (minimal grip support with my right hand). Single-handed left hand wasn't too bad; I tossed 4-5 rounds, but the rest were on target. But two-handed wasn't all that bad at all. Took some time to train my left index finger to pull the trigger... but it didn't take all that long. I tossed maybe 1 round; everything else was well inside the silhouette. Certainly nothing match-grade... but for self-protection purposes, I think it works.

The real story here: if you've never done this, this is something you need to try. You never know when you'll be forced to use your off-hand due to any sort of injury, surgery, or any of a million other complications. At least it's worth the time and ammo to see what you're going to have to deal with should the need arise.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
it is amazing what you can accomplish with practice. when i became a leo all our firearms training included weak hand with a revolver double action only.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad to hear it is working for you. Hopefully the therapist is wrong and your recovery is even quicker. Good advice also. You really never know what might happen. The very nature of defense is people do tend to get hurt. I'd rather throw a few rounds down range now and again with my off hand than get hurt one day and not even be able to quickly get my gun out of my holster because I've never practiced.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out OK. When I shoot one-handed, I cant just a bit to the inside and that seems to help. Not full on gangster, but maybe 30 degrees or so.

And you're absolutely right about it being a good thing to practice. You just never know...

·
Registered
42 Posts
In the Navy they make us shot weak handed unspported all the time. I agree that you never know what you can do until you try. I was amazed by results the first time I shot lefty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a little practice shooting gets easier but not sure how I would load and do mag changes.
So... if you only have 1 hand, that would definitely be a challenge. I could see where with a little practice - and with the magazine loader - you ought to be able to load a magazine 1-handed. I would also contend that with some difficulty and with some persistence, you ought to be able to get a mag in the gun; getting it out should be as easy as pressing the mag release. Getting the first round into the chamber when the slide is already back is as easy as pressing the slide release... but how do you get the first round into the chamber when the slide is forward? One way could be the method Tom Cruise demonstrated in the movie Valkyrie when he played the 1-armed German officer Claus von Stauffenberg - I was amazed when I saw it. Faced with an empty chamber, he carefully placed the front of the slide on a desk and pressed the gun down - the same action as pulling the slide back and letting go. Yeah, it's a little crude, but considering there are videos of guys hammering nails with these guns and other such nonsense, I would think that with a little practice this could be carefully and safely accomplished with no damage done to the gun.

I think the real challenge would be clearing a jam 1-handed. That could really be a problem... one I don't see an immediate solution to other than asking for assistance... then again, I've never been faced with a permanent situation where I was forced to deal with such a limitation. I remember listening to G. Gordon Liddy one day years ago when a caller to his radio show asked him for a recommendation for a CCW weapon. His response was a revolver. His rationale was that a revolver will never jam.

I grew up in Indiana where there were farmers who had for years following WWII and the Korean War lived and earned their livings as very successful, very self-sufficient farmers with only the use of one arm or no arms at all. They operated and maintained their tractors, combines, and all their other equipment, and they operated them entirely using their feet or with the combination of 1 arm and two feet or what have you. They were incredibly adaptive to the challenges they faced; they refused to say no. So I am not willing to say anything can't be done... but if I had only one arm or hand, I'd think a revolver might be the way to go. But what do I know?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The method Cruise used to charge the weapon is the same way you would charge it off your holster or any hard object. You also have your knees, under your arm pit provide you are quick enough not to get pinched. Clearing a jam one handed would require a little dexterity. You would drop your mag, in one of the above manner push the slide to the rear while lifting the slide stop lever up to lock the slide, clear the jam. leaving the slide locked holster or place the weapon on the bench/table/ground replace and seat the mag then release the slide.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've seen some good videos on one handed reloading (both strong and week hand), but can't find them on YouTube right now. They did involve using the holster...sitting the pistol in backwards if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
So... if you only have 1 hand, that would definitely be a challenge. I could see where with a little practice - and with the magazine loader - you ought to be able to load a magazine 1-handed. I would also contend that with some difficulty and with some persistence, you ought to be able to get a mag in the gun; getting it out should be as easy as pressing the mag release. Getting the first round into the chamber when the slide is already back is as easy as pressing the slide release... but how do you get the first round into the chamber when the slide is forward? One way could be the method Tom Cruise demonstrated in the movie Valkyrie when he played the 1-armed German officer Claus von Stauffenberg - I was amazed when I saw it. Faced with an empty chamber, he carefully placed the front of the slide on a desk and pressed the gun down - the same action as pulling the slide back and letting go. Yeah, it's a little crude, but considering there are videos of guys hammering nails with these guns and other such nonsense, I would think that with a little practice this could be carefully and safely accomplished with no damage done to the gun.

I think the real challenge would be clearing a jam 1-handed. That could really be a problem... one I don't see an immediate solution to other than asking for assistance... then again, I've never been faced with a permanent situation where I was forced to deal with such a limitation. I remember listening to G. Gordon Liddy one day years ago when a caller to his radio show asked him for a recommendation for a CCW weapon. His response was a revolver. His rationale was that a revolver will never jam.

I grew up in Indiana where there were farmers who had for years following WWII and the Korean War lived and earned their livings as very successful, very self-sufficient farmers with only the use of one arm or no arms at all. They operated and maintained their tractors, combines, and all their other equipment, and they operated them entirely using their feet or with the combination of 1 arm and two feet or what have you. They were incredibly adaptive to the challenges they faced; they refused to say no. So I am not willing to say anything can't be done... but if I had only one arm or hand, I'd think a revolver might be the way to go. But what do I know?
Ah, yes...G. Gordon Liddy...I use to listen to him in the afternoons..Good stuff! As to the revolvers, that does make sense...However, I don't know how much of an advantage that is upon firing your last round, and having to do a one-handed reload... with a speed loader or speed strips... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
960 Posts

Randy, I'm a lefty, but learned to shoot with either hand and both eyes open. I didn't do too bad right handed, but I have found that with both eyes open, my accuracy has gone up a lot! I wear my 23 IWB in the small of the back. I often practice doing a quick draw to make sure I can get it out fast and safe. By the way, I sent you a message in your mail. Read it when you get a chance! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts