Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting around, unable to shoot with my right hand due to carpal tunnel surgery a week and a half ago. While I realize this is an opportune time to learn how to shoot with my left hand, I'm having enough problems even pulling the slide back with only one good hand. My question is... has anyone been here/done this and recovered? I'm interested to hear how long I can expect before I'll be able to shoot again.

The procedure they did on me was a C-T release - cut into the center of the base of my hand down to the wrist. I've done this with my left hand. It took about 5-6 weeks to fully rehab my hand, but I didn't try to go out shooting right after that; I was typing and playing bass guitar. I'm not sure I could have fired a gun when I was at the point I was considered "fully recovered". Anybody have any experience with something like this? I'm wondering when I can expect to be able to withstand the recoil.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Just reading the description made my hand ache! I've had neck problems that ran down into my hands, but never injured hands. Hope you recover fully and quickly, Randy.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Good luck on your recovery !

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my physical therapist suggested 8 weeks. That means I gotta learn to shoot left handed; I don't want to wait that long to complete my CCW class.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I dont know about your State, but the test here in Texas is so easy that you pass as long as you dont shoot the instructor.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I dont know about your State, but the test here in Texas is so easy that you pass as long as you dont shoot the instructor.
lol...Yeh, I can see why they would frown upon that... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I put nearly a hundred rounds through the pistol today left-handed. I did better when I used my right to support my left... but even single-handed I did just fine. Let's just say I'm OK left-handed. Sure felt funny, but the middle of the target was toast at 7 yards.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Feels good to know you can do it if you have to, though doesn't it?...Good job !:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, it feels pretty good. Here's a pic of the target:

I put the circular target over the silhouette target so I could tell what I was hitting... it was becoming Swiss cheese :) It isn't competition stuff, but for the most part, I think I could handle things if needs be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Yep, he's down !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts