Glock Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious questions. I have been reading plenty of posts about reloading, and how it is cheaper than buying new. The questions is, How much does the equipment to reload cost? And factoring that in, How much cheaper is it? :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can load 50 round box of .45 ACP for about $5
Equipment will be anywhere from couple hundred to couple thousand. Depends how crazy you wanna go. I use turret pres,kind of combination of fast reloading and precision.i only started few months ago , and loving it. It's not just saving, you gonna pick up whole new hobby.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that's cheap! Can't start it now, but maybe in the near future.
Equipment will be anywhere from couple hundred to couple thousand. Depends how crazy you wanna go. I use turret pres,kind of combination of fast reloading and precision.i only started few months ago , and loving it. It's not just saving, you gonna pick up whole new hobby.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That makes it quite tempting. I wish I had the space. sigh...maybe one day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't need that much space. Old computer desk will work as you workbench and supply bench. 1k bullets and brass doesn't take whole lot of space. Problem is ,it's addicting and you're gonna wanna have more supplies on hand as you progress. Lol

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I don't shoot lead, so the cost (with plated bullets) is a little more.

As for the equipment, it really depends what you get; I like LEE stuff because they are quite affordable. But you can spend a LOT of money on a press and other equipment. Lee Classic Cast Turret Press is what use now and it works well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
40 S&W LEE PRO 1000 or LEE LOADMASTER?

Looking to start reloading for my G22 Gen4, I am trying to decide between the LEE Pro 1000 or LEE Load Master for 40 S&W. There is about $50 dollars difference. This will be my 1st Reloader, so please let me know which one I should purchase or your comments concerning either one.
Here are the websites for both:

https://fsreloading.com/lee-pro-1000-40sw-90682.html

https://fsreloading.com/lee-load-mas...-sw-90940.html

thanks, looking forward to your comments....

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
The following are my costs using only powder, primers, bullets and once fired brass - 45ACP: 230 LRN = $7.81/50, 230 FMJ = $11.66/50 9mm Luger: 125 LFP = $5.27/50, 124 JHP = $8.17/50. Additionally this is with Winchester WSF powder, CCI primers, Precision Bullets (lead) and Montana Gold (jacketed) bullets. You could lower that cost by buying pulled powder (if you can find it) and lower priced primers (Wolf, Tula - if you can find them). While reloading is cheaper (only using the cost of components) than the stuff bought in the store, it can still be a somewhat expensive hobby (equipment, time, gadgets, etc.). Also, I didn't amortize the cost of the reloading equipment, personal time spent in reloading, etc. into the overall cost of my reloads. If you don't shoot often (e.g., less than 100 rounds a month) the time spent reloading, cost of equipment, and components, won't balance out with the cost of buying ammo off the shelf. If you shoot 1000 rounds a month, the cost of the equipment, components, etc. will pay off after the first year or so. If you shoot rifles calibers - reloading will save you a considerable amount of money per round. Keep in mind that rifle brass will not, typically, last as long as pistol brass, and the cost of gadgets to make your rifle ammo shoot "more better" can be more than the equipment used to reload it with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts