Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I am a left handed person that shoots both left and right. I am more proficient with my right hand, but I am going to start training with my left (not a bad shot but not what I would like to be). I was just wondering if any one else has mastered ambidextrous shooting?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
definitely have not mastered it but always train for it. weak hand double and single handed. You never know when you might loose partial or full use of your dominant hand.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Left Hand is my weak point, I really need to practice with it more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im L.H and every now and then Ill train with my support hand. Both rifle and sidearm. It feels super awkward which just means I dont train it enough.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the awkward feeling when I shoot a rifle and shotgun, but no awkwardness with pistols.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
definitely have not mastered it but always train for it. weak hand double and single handed. You never know when you might loose partial or full use of your dominant hand.
same here...gotta know how...definitely haven't mastered it...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I try to practice equally and since I'm right handed/left eye dominant, I don't do too badly with my left.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Do you use the BAC method or close your non dominant eye?
Had to google "BAC method" :)

But yeah, I keep both eyes open when shooting handguns. Left eye image is so strong, the sight as viewed by my right eye doesn't bother me at all.

I shoot long guns left handed and close my right (non dominant) eye.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
In my opinion in this day in age unless you are an competition indoor target shooter looking for tight tight tight tight, did I mention tight groups, that everyone should be training BAC. The last thing you want to do is to shut down 3/4 of your peripheral vision is an tactical situation. You will already have tunnel vision if that happens you don't need to constrict it any more. I even practice this when I am shooting rifle. Now if I was hunting deer. I might not but tactically I do for everything.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
+1...true.......very hard to convince folks of that, though...Glad you brought that up...everyone needs to at least try it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am right handed, but my Dad taught me to shoot and he was left handed. He would place the rifle or shotgun against my left shoulder and a pistol in my left hand, without thinking about it. I am right eye dominant. I always shot expert in the military and in my law enforcement career, shooting left handed with my left non-dominant eye, closing my right eye. When shooting right handed, I did okay as well, but felt better shooting left handed. Now that I'm older and my eyes are not what they used to be, I'm trying to shoot with both eyes open. It's not easy for me, but I am practicing that way. A pistol feels comfortable in either hand, but a rifle or shotgun feels aukward for me against my right shoulder.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I learned to shoot with both eyes open shooting archery tournaments. When I would shoot my guns, I found that I was automatically keeping both eyes open, even with a scope.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In my opinion in this day in age unless you are an competition indoor target shooter looking for tight tight tight tight, did I mention tight groups, that everyone should be training BAC. The last thing you want to do is to shut down 3/4 of your peripheral vision is an tactical situation. You will already have tunnel vision if that happens you don't need to constrict it any more. I even practice this when I am shooting rifle. Now if I was hunting deer. I might not but tactically I do for everything.
2nd that. I had a little bit of difficulty with the both eyes open starting out, but then a little bit of practice and it was all good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
For the last year I've been practicing regularly with both hands almost evenly. Ive come up with a shooting drill that is both fun and very helpful for shooting with your off hand and non dominant eye. It takes a little getting use to but its really alot of fun and kinda bad ass. :)
here it is if anyone wants to try it.
Take 2 siluette targets. Set them up about 20' out and 10' apart. Now take 2 pistols. Preferably of the same caliber. Aim your left pistol at the left target and right pistol at the right target. Now here is where it can get a little tricky. You alternate shooting left then right keeping both eyes open but when you shoot the left hand concentrate on finding the sight picture with your left eye and the right with your right eye.
Fairly easy. huh? The hardest part when you first start is switching from dominant to non-dominant eyes while keeping both eyes open.
For me its been great practice for strong and weak hand unsupported shooting and braking my self of eye dominance.
Try it out and let me know what you think.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts