Glock Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were told about RMR sights on a Glock by an instructor at training. Of course his company installes them but I was wondering about the validity of adding this to the gun. Aside from the obvious mechanical obstruction this presents. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Never tried one, and don't think I'd want one for EDC use. I'll stick to my W-S Tactical setup. That said, I'd like to give one a fling just for kicks.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I guess it would depend on what glass you out on it. Some of the less expensive ones throw you way off if you're not lined up perfect in the center of the glass. I am curious about trying one though.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'd probably try to change channels while trying to look through them.....I guess I'm to old school....But an old dog can learn new tricks....

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'd probably try to change channels while trying to look through them.....I guess I'm to old school....But an old dog can learn new tricks....
Lol, it should be a lot easier with them new fangled clicker thingys. I hear they don't even have cords...magic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have them on all of my pistols (.22, 9mm, 5.7, 45ACP, & 50 GI). Much faster getting on target in all light conditions. If you have them on your rifles and shotguns like I do, it only makes sense. Your sight picture is the same no matter what platform you are using. I have Trijicon's RMR, Insight's MRDS, Delta Point, Fast Fire, & Docter. I have tried a couple of the cheap knock offs and they work just as well but have lousy battery life. The quality MRD's like the ones I have listed all have battery life of at least 4 years left on 24/7 except the Insight. You do not have to center your sight picture in the middle of the lense like some people say. Just like Aimpoints or EOTech's if you can see a dot anywhere in the lense even if it is in the corners, your POI will strike where your POA is. Anyone who has ever tried my weapons immediately wanted them on theirs.

MadDogDan

·
Registered
880 Posts
Several of the shooters I shoot IPSC with have them on their pistols. They are turning in better times and accuracy than they did without them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was gonna start a thread about this as well. From my research it seems to be the best thing since sliced bread. Especially if they are cowitnessed with standard sights. As has been stated, faster target acquisition times are being obtained. And some instructors are using the red dots to help train new shooters with regular sights and then removing the RDS afterwards.

I have seen a pretty slick G26 set up with a battery less Trijicon RMR that is drop dead gorgeous.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Excellent for ‘old guy’ eyes... I too have the Fast-Fire red dot and love it.
Bought one for a friends retirement gift. He laughed saying he didn’t need it.
Six months later it became his favorite sight system on his carry rifle.
If I bought another red dot it would be the Trijicon.
IMO, any firearm is only as good as it's sights (first) and bullet design (second).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Anyone know of a good quality GREEN OR BLUE reflex sight. Being color blind, red does not show up for me in daylight...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anyone know of a good quality GREEN OR BLUE reflex sight. Being color blind, red does not show up for me in daylight...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Trijicon has both green and amber for their line of sights as far as sights that can handle slide mounts. It's just the sticker shock that gets me, lol.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yep ...I like Trijicon products ...when I can afford them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was able to get a Trijicon RM02 mounted onto an appropriately machined Glock branded G17 slide along with suppressor iron sights for my wife for Christmas from One Source Tactical in Prescott AZ. I got this because she wanted to keep her current slide as is for times the reflex sight is not allowed....IDPA SSP for instance.

The red dot sight is definitely a faster way to acquire targets and (for me at least) better at accuracy beyond 20 yards than I can do with regular iron sights. The darn thing was expensive, but its a lot of fun and in a gunfight it would be a definite advantage in both speed and accuracy.

In an answer above it was said that these are available in other colors. That isn't true. It operates by reflecting a red LED off a parabolic mirror that reflects red and transmits other colors. That's why you can see the target through the optic and the red dot appears suspended in space. If they could be green you would not be able to see green in the optic which would basically make it blind outdoors.

An intruder at my place is definitely at a disadvantage to this sight system. That's why the military and police are adopting this sight system. It is really easy to acquire the target and hit it with both eyes open and eye alignment with gun not rEquired.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was just going to post about ost. The red dot is cw with suppressor iron sights. All the training you have done with irons brings the dot into place for you. So you can focus on either or just the dot for precise work. So there is not a training gap as many people believe with using this system. Also if the dot goes out you can still use the pistol.

sent via snail mail

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was just going to post about ost. The red dot is cw with suppressor iron sights. All the training you have done with irons brings the dot into place for you. So you can focus on either or just the dot for precise work. So there is not a training gap as many people believe with using this system. Also if the dot goes out you can still use the pistol.

sent via snail mail
Correct..thanks for adding that. Since the area viewable through the optic is a small part of the overall view field it is sometimes difficult to locate the dot. Using the suppressor sights to get close to the aiming point aids in finding the dot quickly. I should add that you then forget about the iron sights and use the dot. Also some believe you have center the dot in the optic similarly to a magnified scope. Not so. It doesn't matter where the dot is in the optic field of view. Just place it on the target and pull the trigger.

The other thing that seems to confuse people before they try one of these is that there exists an eye relief requirement. Everyone is is aware in using any kind of magnified optic from firearms scopes to telescopes, binoculars, and microscopes that in order to focus on the item being viewed that your eye must be within a narrow window of distance from the optic. This is normally in the range of three inches or less. Since the red dot optic is not magnified, there is no eye relief zone. The target is visible and in focus from any distance through the optic just as in just viewing it without any optic at all. Thus you can use the gun in the normal grip, stance, and hold position....or any other satisfactory position.

These optics are perfectly usable without any iron sights on the gun and I see some setups like that. However, especially with slide mounted (versus frame mounted) setups it is much faster to reacquire the dot after each shot by using the sights to get you close. I would recommend that anyone considering a red dot also plan on iron sights...normally these are suppressor style to get the sights tall enough.

I see some open USPSA setups that have no iron sights, but these are normally frame mounted optics where the shooter never loses the dot while firing since the optic is stationary during slide cycling. The problem with this setup for a carry weapon is the physical size of the mounts that just are not concealable and require special holsters not very street friendly. Clearly the slide mounted, smaller versions will be the choice for defensive carry weapons and for those the iron sights are a big help.

·
Registered
94 Posts
They look cool but for EDC would hinder concealability.
The Trijicon RM line of slide mounted sights are are small enough to use concealed if properly mounted in a machined slide. My G17 fits into the standard Comp-tac holster that I use for IDPA (without the optic in that case). It does not complicate conceal ability. I'm not saying it's easier, just still works about the same.

The upside is that few of us are really capable of being in a gunfight and I hope we never are. If the worst happens, the ease of target acquisition and speed of acquisition will certainly be an advantage. I think these sights will be very common on carry guns very soon for that reason. Cost is a drawback right now. My Trijicon RM02 is mounted into a machined genuine, new Glock slide with suppressor sights also installed. Including the cost of the slide, machining, mounting, the sight itself, and the suppressor sights it came to slightly over $1000. That has to go down before these become commonplace.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts