Glock Forum banner

Scary unintentional discharge after having a 3.5 connecter installed on 27 gen4

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  jbglock 
#1 ·
My friend owns a 26 gen 3 and has the 3.5 connector bar installed, and it feels real nice. So, I thought I'd do the same on my gen 4 27. I had it installed at a local gun shop. The next day, I ran 100 rds. through it without incident. I gotta say, I really didn't notice much differenc
The trigger did feel gritty...not really quite right, but nothing that made me think anything was seriously wrong. A few days later, I was out back shooting, was about 40 rds into it, when I put a fresh mag in, pulled the slide back, got on target, and pulled the trigger...which didn't fully reset. I brought the gun down, and as I was standing there staring at it, wondering what had just gone wrong, the gun discharged! I went back to the shop the next day, had the original bar reinstalled, problem fixed. Does anyone know why that happened. Once again, if it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT!

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 3.5 connector in my g23 and had no problems. JMO but the connector might not be the problem. Did you check the gun for foreign trash in the internal workings? Just a safety measure always keeps the gun pointed in a safe direction when you get a HANG FIRE (sounds like it). Sometimes you will get a delay when you pull the trigger and there is a time laps before ignition and that is called a hang fire. Any time you get one take a minute or two and wait before ejecting the round; it just might save you some pain

P.S. I didn’t notice any difference in the two connectors (3.5 or the 5.5)

#3 ·
I thought maybe a hang fire too, but because the trigger wasn't fully reset when I pulled it, my first thought was something wasn't right with the part just installed. Yes, gun was pointed safely down range. It looked like they had to slightly bend the connector bar to get it to fit.

#4 ·
I installed inch my own connector and I didn't have to bend nothing. It is the same exact size as the original with a slight angle change to one of the surfaces. For the trigger to reset the slide has to move backwards ½ in.

#7 · (Edited)
I have 3.5 connectors and NY1 trigger springs installed in my Glocks. Never had a problem. They are pretty easy to install and kinda impossible to do it wrong so I doubt the AD was related to the connector. About the grittiness of the trigger, gen4's have a bump on the trigger bar where previous generations didn't I heard that it makes the trigger a little heavier but haven't done any tests myself.

#8 ·
gen4's have a bump on the trigger bar where previous generations didn't I heard that it makes the trigger a little heavier but haven't done any testes myself

Some might know this and some may not but the bump on the trigger bar is to keep the bar centered on the firing pin safety button in the slide. for safety reasons and to ensure the bar doesn't jump the firing pin release; Glock added the dimple. Removing the dimple will not hurt the gun and will make the slide operate smoother

#12 ·
So you can file that little bump off of the trigger bar, and it won't compromise the safety feature? Also, an addendum...after the discharge, the pistol jammed, after I cleared that out, the trigger wouldn't reset right away. After racking the slide twice, it finally reset.

#14 ·
I'm neither a Glock authority nor trigger connector expert but I have the 3.5 connector in my G19 and it really sounds like you may have a bad bend angle on your connector. When installing the connector, you will notice that the connector angles away from the mounting point as it extends to the pivot. If that angle is not right, one way or the other, you can get some silly stuff going on. If the angle is too great (too far away from the plastic mount base), you will get binding on the slide and you will have a hard time breaking the slide backward. This is obviously bad as it can lead to feed/extraction problems. If you don't have enough angle (connector lays flat against the plastic base), the trigger will not work at all and you will have to pull the end plate to get the slide off. It almost sounds like you are on the fringe of not having enough angle. That would make for an unpredictable trigger engagement/reset.

As I said before, I'm not an expert. These are my observations from my own installation and logic and should not be taken as professional advice. I'm an engineer and love knowing how things I use work so I don't have to pay people to fix them. There have been a few times where I should have paid someone :).

#13 ·
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm pretty new to the whole gun thing (about three years). The Glock 30 was the first hand gun I had ever fired, and I fell in love instantly. I own a 30, along with a 23 gen4 and a 27 gen4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.