Glock Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the range today and it was windy. I faired about fifty rounds and I noticed that there was this burned smokey area going down the slide about an inch. I never noticed this before but I might never have fired into the wind before either. I couldnt just wipe it off either. I had to use a little oil to get it off. The slide almost looked like I had a ported barrel.

·
Registered
960 Posts
So, it was happening an inch from the muzzle? Got my curiosity up because I never saw that happen. Did you happen to take any pictures before you cleaned it off?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
That my friend is burnt gun powder residue, happens to my guns all the time at the range just more so when the wind is in your face

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it went down the front of the slide for an inch. There was an area that was protected by the front sight. It looked just like the slides that have ported barrels except that it came back from the front of the muzzle. I didnt think to take pictures. It never happened before, but the gun is only two weks old. I was using the same ammo that I have used before (American Eagle 124 gr FMJ). Could it be a box of dirty ammo? I was shooting pretty good today too.

Steve

·
Registered
960 Posts
Well Steve, I like what barstoolguru said. It makes sense to me in theory but never experienced it. I guess I never really fired with a heavy wind coming right at me. The range I frequent is enclosed on two sides (rear and left). Also has very large berms all of the way around.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
That my friend is burnt gun powder residue, happens to my guns all the time at the range just more so when the wind is in your face
I agree, I have had it also on a windy day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts