Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Could someone help me understand this?? As I have mentioned in another thread, I had to send the Sig P238 (.380) in for repairs. I have fired at least 400 rounds through it since new. Ball rounds and hollow points. About 100 rounds ago, began to experience FTF's and FTE's every third magazine or so. (6 plus 1). Tried several different brands of ammo that day and ended up just hoping it was not a problem. The last range visit (Friday), every single round FTE. Again, had a few different brands. Unloaded it, put it in the car, called Sig and the customer service rep asked me, are you using hollow points? I said, of course, why wouldn't I? He said, well the P238 and P938 (9mm) have to have several hundred rounds of ball ammo to break it in before you can use hollow points. I was thinking, WHAT?!?!. I told him, that really shouldn't be an issue because I can fire "rocks" through my Glocks with no problem! Response, well sir these are not Glocks. No S##t! Does this sound like a proper response from a gun manufacture customer service?? Like I had said before, I might sell it or keep it as a pocket pistol, but if that is a representation of Sig Sauer customer service, I will think twice about keeping it. By the way, it is super accurate!!

But accuracy means nothing if it doesn't fire!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DSCF0454 (640x480).jpg

bet you can't tell i love to show off my guns! sounds like the csr doesn't know what he is doing. and sig in general is a whole different ballgame than other gun manufacturers. as far as i know the p238 had some drop fire and recoil spring problems and beginning with serial number 27a______ they were suppose to be all fixed. well i search everywhere to find a rainbow and finally found a 27a_____ at top gun supply. put no more than 80 rounds through it and it locked up solid. recoil spring problem. i was pi__ed. put it in a box with a note and sent it to sig ( not proper procedure ) but thats how mad i was. as luck would have it sig repair the gun and i had it back in about a week. since then i have tried on many occasions to make the gun malfunction by putting 13 mags through it in succession at rapid fire and it works great every time one of my best guns and as you say extremely accurate. just to expand on sig as a company a little bit, my lgs has a distributor in ma named camfour, they also have another place in texas, last year they did 6 million dollars worth of business with sig and sig took the franchise away from them for no reason. maybe try cs again or go higher in the company .

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
try polishing the ramp with a dermal tool. sometimes a little fine stone and then some sandpaper can change the angle just a little bit and make the surface a little smoother and allowing the bullet to engage the ramp at a better angle. This is why they want you to shoot 700 rounds because the constant rubbing of bullet head to the ramp is a polishing affect

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I had a well used SIG P6 in the past and never a problem but it had been a foreign police turn in. I have had a few other SIGs thru the years and dont remember any problems.
My advice? Glocks cost a lot less, or easier to field strip and maintain, will run when dry, etc. Sell the SIG and get another Glock. Or take it to a gunsmith and let him work on the ramp.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It was signed for at the dock at Sig this morning at 9:35 a.m. We will see what they will do. It is a 27A, I have tried polishing the feed ramp. Believe me, I have exhausted everything before I had to send it back, but this is way more than a feed ramp issue. I'm trying to get her sold on a Glock 17. The problem is, she can't rack the slide period. Several people told me, load it up, rack the slide for her, add plus 1 and let her carry it. Only problem, and she brought this up, what if she has a FTF or FTE?? She would be very SOL! So, we are still discussing it.

And besides that, it's their dime, not mine! :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I have said in another thread, gonna take a look at some wheel guns too. So far The Ruger LCR is looking like a good candidate. My Glock Certified Armorer carries one while at work. I checked it out. Easy to pull trigger, easy to cock trigger, just looking like a winner! :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
It was signed for at the dock at Sig this morning at 9:35 a.m. We will see what they will do. It is a 27A, I have tried polishing the feed ramp. Believe me, I have exhausted everything before I had to send it back, but this is way more than a feed ramp issue. I'm trying to get her sold on a Glock 17. The problem is, she can't rack the slide period. Several people told me, load it up, rack the slide for her, add plus 1 and let her carry it. Only problem, and she brought this up, what if she has a FTF or FTE?? She would be very SOL! So, we are still discussing it.

And besides that, it's their dime, not mine! :)
No one should carry a weapon they cannot clear and recover from a problem. If something happens and she only pi__es of the bad guy with the first shot and then has a malfunction she will be in more trouble than if she hadn't pulled the gun in the first place. Get this fixed or get her something she can operate under any circumstances. I have several Sigs and have never had a problem Love them all.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No one should carry a weapon they cannot clear and recover from a problem. If something happens and she only pi__es of the bad guy with the first shot and then has a malfunction she will be in more trouble than if she hadn't pulled the gun in the first place. Get this fixed or get her something she can operate under any circumstances. I have several Sigs and have never had a problem Love them all.
Yep, couldn't agree more. That's why we are taking our time, no doubt! Also, heard many good things about Sigs. As someone said before, it is a machine and they are built by people. So, i understand how a problem could exist every now and then.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I bought my p238, I was advised to put at least 200 rounds of FMJ through it before using HPs. As we know, Kahr specifies a break in period too.

Most reports I've read about the p238 have been very positive. Given your problems, sending it back is the wise move.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hope they get it resolved...as long as they have to cover it, I would let them...Working on it yourself could void the warranty, and I wouldn't perform any "shade tree" mechanical work unless you are through with using their warranty coverage...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Called to check on the Sig today. Arrived Tuesday morning at 8:30. So far, it hasn't left the dock area yet. Guess I won't worry considering it is a warranty repair but just thought they would at least have looked at it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now, now, haste makes waste!
I know, I know. Lol! I was wrong about the delivery time. It was 9:35 not 8:30. No worries.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the little Sig is on the Fed Ex truck for delivery today. They had to replace 3 parts. I can only remember one of them from the phone conversation..extractor pin spring?.?. The list of items replaced will be in the box. They fired 40 rounds of hollow point and 50 ball rounds with NO failures. Glad to know it was a simple fix. Might just be carrying it as a pocket pistol til we decide what we want to do with it. :)

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inspected the pistol.
Replaced the extractor and the slide catch lever spring.
Lubricated the pistol.
Test fired with no malfunctions.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix...Hope it's all straightened out...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
They were even nice enough to throw in an extra magazine! They are a little expensive! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
one of the things I always liked about Taurus is when you send it in for repairs (lifetime on all their guns) you can look on line and see at what stage in the process it was in because you have (or someone does) be home to sign for it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts