Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Got a question. Is there a different finish on the 4th generation slides over the 3rd? For some reason the 3rd gen looks alittle darker? Dave

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't think that there is any difference but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that Glock used to use the tenifer finish on U.S. models ie Gen 3 but that finish is now illegal for manufactures to use in this country so they switched to melonite

·
Registered
188 Posts
I remember reading somewhere awhile back that Glock used to use the tenifer finish on U.S. models ie Gen 3 but that finish is now illegal for manufactures to use in this country so they switched to melonite
I hope not. Not a big fan of melonite, it's not as durable as tenifer.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I think it's all still Tenifer, but there is a difference in the Parkerizing on some of the more recent pistols - greyish compared to the older ones.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Not sure what changed in the process but it is different for sure. Newer gen3 and 4 are more of a dull dark gray fishing vs that shiny black finish. They seem to get scratched up easier.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Interesting article. Doesn't sound "official" though...who knows.

My last two purchases were test fired this year and both were made in Austria though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DSCF0255 (640x480) (640x480).jpg DSCF0256 (640x480).jpg within the past 6 months i bought a brand new g26 and a g29. both had a color problem on the slide. its almost like a fingerprint smudge. i wipe it down with damp paper towel and it goes away but it comes back 3 or 4 times but then eventually it goes away. never had that problem on my 2-g27, g23, or g30. course they are much older. i took before and after pics, i think you can see by the ejection port towards the front the smudge and then after a wipedown the difference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tenifer and Melonite are both nitriding, there are some chemical variance but basically the final results are the same. Tenifer, Melonite, Nitridox, etc. are trademarked names for nitiding, which creates a case hardened surface. Some are gaseous and some a salt bath processes, again same end result. Tenifer has the cyanate chemical which is banned in the U.S. All U.S. parts are gaseous nitride treated. Austria is transitioning away from Tenifer to the nitride also, if not completely already. More and more Glock parts are U.S. made. So some pistols may vary some in appearance. Over the years Glock has played around so much with the matte top finish I don'y think they can or have kept up with those variances and that's the reason for the grey dry finish versus the shiny black finish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ran across this article...not familiar with the author, or the validity of info...Will check with a source at Glock...
Glock has stopped using Tenifer ™ metal treatment! | remat457 firearms blog
Hello,
Thanks for linking me. There are actually a number of articles about Tenifer on my blog. This topic always generates much discourse and is much of the answers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. Look for 'Tenifer' references in Glock's current literature -- it keeps disappearing (because I suspect they have to pay HEFUSA to use it or the Melonite name). Also, noteworthy is that 'gas nitriding' is a metal hardening process and not (usually) the finish that you see on the surface. The finish is (usually) what can be/is scratched. Deadduck's post is very good.

Just to introduce myself I have been an NRA Certified Instructor since 1990 and recently became a Glock Certified Armorer this year. The primary source for my Tenifer info (in that post) is Glock Armorer Instructor - Dennis Tueller (please Google him if you are unfamiliar-he has done a lot of good work!), and the Glock West Coast Law Enforcement Sales Rep. whose name alludes me at the moment.

Anyway, hello fellow Glock owners!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, Got a question. Is there a different finish on the 4th generation slides over the 3rd? For some reason the 3rd gen looks alittle darker? Dave
Glock says that the metal hardening (what ever we want to call it) is functionally equivalent and so is the finish on top of it, with the exception of the color. I saw a demo Gen4 that had been pretty abused and it had held up pretty well. I guess only time will validate it for sure.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hello,
Thanks for linking me. There are actually a number of articles about Tenifer on my blog. This topic always generates much discourse and is much of the answers are shrouded in secrecy and mystery. Look for 'Tenifer' references in Glock's current literature -- it keeps disappearing (because I suspect they have to pay HEFUSA to use it or the Melonite name). Also, noteworthy is that 'gas nitriding' is a metal hardening process and not (usually) the finish that you see on the surface. The finish is (usually) what can be/is scratched. Deadduck's post is very good.

Just to introduce myself I have been an NRA Certified Instructor since 1990 and recently became a Glock Certified Armorer this year. The primary source for my Tenifer info (in that post) is Glock Armorer Instructor - Dennis Tueller (please Google him if you are unfamiliar-he has done a lot of good work!), and the Glock West Coast Law Enforcement Sales Rep. whose name alludes me at the moment.

Anyway, hello fellow Glock owners!
Welcome, remat457... When the question came up about the finish, I had just read your article. Since I didn't have the answer, I thought I'd pass your article on. Sounded as credible as anything else I'd heard...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts