Glock Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm sure most of you are aware, Hornady has jumped onto the Zombie wave with their 'Zombie Killer' line of ammo. While these are a novelty, and nothing more than their Critical Defense cartridge with a different color Polymer tip, if you like these rounds, I would reccommend getting them now, while they are still available. Remember the Winchester 'Black Talons'? It only took a couple of years before those were discontinued, only to be replaced with their Ranger line with the bullets being copper colored instead of that 'overly deadly' black "teflon" coating that only a Homicidal Maniac would carry for self defense. I still have two cases of those, one 10mm and another in .45, but I would never use them for protection carry, nor would I use the Zombie Killers. If, God forbid, I had to use either of those in self defense, I would certainly get crucified in court. :(

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I still have some of the Black Talons in 45acp and do use them for CCW in my G21 and my G36. I havent caughton to the Zombie craze and cant see spending good $ for ammo that I would be afraid to carry for CCW. As far as defending Black talons, I would think just showing that they are the same as the Ranger line which is carried by LEOs would be suffiecient. Matter of opinion I guess.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Those are the types of round you need to keep until the SHTF and courts don't matter, only survival. I wish I had bought some back in the day but Clinton took care of that before I had a chance.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
As I'm sure most of you are aware, Hornady has jumped onto the Zombie wave with their 'Zombie Killer' line of ammo. While these are a novelty, and nothing more than their Critical Defense cartridge with a different color Polymer tip, if you like these rounds, I would reccommend getting them now, while they are still available. Remember the Winchester 'Black Talons'? It only took a couple of years before those were discontinued, only to be replaced with their Ranger line with the bullets being copper colored instead of that 'overly deadly' black "teflon" coating that only a Homicidal Maniac would carry for self defense. I still have two cases of those, one 10mm and another in .45, but I would never use them for protection carry, nor would I use the Zombie Killers. If, God forbid, I had to use either of those in self defense, I would certainly get crucified in court. :(
You might not get crucified, but the effort to do so would certainly be put forth by the prosecutors...That hurdle would have to be overcome before you could even present your "deadly force/defense" issue...

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't think that you need to be worried about carrying either ammo. They are both marketed for the self-defense market. If you were in a situation that you needed to use your weapon as a last resort then the type of ammo would be the last thing to worry about. But like Tex said it is a matter of opinion.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I don't think that you need to be worried about carrying either ammo. They are both marketed for the self-defense market. If you were in a situation that you needed to use your weapon as a last resort then the type of ammo would be the last thing to worry about. But like Tex said it is a matter of opinion.
I agree in that the logical person would think that self defense would come first and that should matter if you had Martian killing ammo. However, either the prosecution on the criminal side or the litigation on a civil lawsuit for wrongful death would try to tear you apart as a crazy loon for carrying zombie killing ammo, and as you know all it takes is for a few stupid people on the jury to make a life altering decision on some stupid theory. While you would be fine carrying it just remember what other consequences could be faced down stream that you would have to over come if faced with legal action. Is it really worth it when there are the same products on the shelf that are marketed differently. I for one would not carry then for that reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree in that the logical person would think that self defense would come first and that should matter if you had Martian killing ammo. However, either the prosecution on the criminal side or the litigation on a civil lawsuit for wrongful death would try to tear you apart as a crazy loon for carrying zombie killing ammo, and as you know all it takes is for a few stupid people on the jury to make a life altering decision on some stupid theory. While you would be fine carrying it just remember what other consequences could be faced down stream that you would have to over come if faced with legal action. Is it really worth it when there are the same products on the shelf that are marketed differently. I for one would not carry then for that reason.
That's exactly what I was getting at ZK.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
+1...not worth the trouble it could cause...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I cant see the point in 'Zombie' ammo (and I find it hard to believe it is even marketed) but Black Talon I have no problem with. You are going to be challenged no matter what ammo or weapon you use in self defense. It would be simple to say that Police use Ranger ammo, only differeance is the color of the slug. Again, just my opinion, you should do what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see the point in 'Zombie' ammo (and I find it hard to believe it is even marketed) but Black Talon I have no problem with. You are going to be challenged no matter what ammo or weapon you use in self defense. It would be simple to say that Police use Ranger ammo, only differeance is the color of the slug. Again, just my opinion, you should do what makes you feel comfortable.
I agree, it's a personal choice. I am very comfortable with CorBons or Hornady Critical Defense.

·
Registered
655 Posts
They sure do sell a lot of that Zombie Ammo. Was at the LGS yesterday and noticed 4 different people buying the hell out of it. It is basically the Critical Defense Ammo with the green wadding. Was doing some looking on it and found this, courtesy of Hornady.

"Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!"

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They sure do sell a lot of that Zombie Ammo. Was at the LGS yesterday and noticed 4 different people buying the hell out of it. It is basically the Critical Defense Ammo with the green wadding. Was doing some looking on it and found this, courtesy of Hornady.

"Disclaimer: Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is NOT a toy (IT IS LIVE AMMUNITION), but is intended only to be used on…ZOMBIES, also known as the living dead, undead, etc. No human being, plant, animal, vegetable or mineral should ever be shot with Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition. Again, we repeat, Hornady® Zombie Max™ ammunition is for use on ZOMBIES ONLY, and that's not a nickname, phrase or cute way of referring to anybody, place or thing. When we say Zombies, we mean…ZOMBIES!"
That's some expensive ammo for a specific purpose that will never come up!! Unless someone wants to put expensive holes in those paper zombie targets that they are selling like hotcakes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts

That Disclaimer would make a differance to me as far as CCW. I have to believe it is said with tongue in cheek, but still it is in black and white. I had no idea this was on the carton as I have never examined the ammo.

Reactions: spfldguns

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That Disclaimer would make a differance to me as far as CCW. I have to believe it is said with tongue in cheek, but still it is in black and white. I had no idea this was on the carton as I have never examined the ammo.
Would cause a big problem in Court as well. Now your talking about having to subpoena the Company then get their legal team involved to explain that disclaimer, or to stand by the disclaimer. If they did that then that puts you a$$ in a jam. Gun range ammo and definitely able to protect, but there is always investigations, and civil suites after the fact. For me I stay away.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
+1 on staying away...
"So Mr. Smith...you shot and killed Mr. Jones, in what you say was self-defense...and you used a 'zombie killing' bullet..one that is aptly named to kill a zombie...something that won't die...So you considered Mr. Jones to be nothing more than a zombie, and that he needed to die. You couldn't just use a regular defense round for protection...you wanted to make sure that you killed him extra-dead...

Umm...no thanks...as ridiculous as it sounds, that's the way those trials go...Bad enough you have to use your gun to defend yourself and/or a loved one and possibly take a life...now you have to be put on trial for your intentions, because of the sensationalized name of the round you carried...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts