Glock Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie trying to determine what ammo should I use for personal defense. I've read many post on this web site about the pros of using both the Hornady Critical Defense and the Speer Gold Dots, both of which I can find in my LGS. I'll be using my G26 Gen4 as my primary weapon and feel that more than likely, if needed, it would be used outdoors instead of at home. I think that I'll be going with the Gold Dots, but my concern is in close distances should I use the 124 or 147 grain ammo. I haven't shot either one but I've read that some members use the 147's during the winter because of the heavy clothing. Could I use the 147's year round? Or are the 124's more accurate in close quarters? Right now I'm using Lawman's 115 grain which I use at the firing range. I need feedback from you guys out there, to help me decide which ammo/grain to choose. Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
First - I'd suggest buying your Gold Dots online (sgammo & ammunitiontogo are two good places) as you can buy them in 50-round boxes for just slightly more than the 20-round box.

Get the 124gr +p, practice with it, use it in all your 9mm Glocks, and don't worry about switching to a heavier weight in the winter. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Choice of ammo debates could go on forever. Some like the lighter grains for speed, some the heavier for impact effect. IMHO any quality hollow point ammo that is well placed will do the trick. When I buy ammo I go generally with the HP with the highest velocity.
I am sure you will hear other opinions, but remember, shot placement is the key, a hit with a quality ammo is better than a miss or near hit with a 'Zombie' load.
As far as your Lawman 115 gr you are using at the range, I sure would not want to be hit with any of that.

Reactions: rowabi

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Unfortunately there's no one correct answer to that question. It all comes down to personal preference and mission specific ammunition. I would suggest checking out the FBI Terminal Ballistics Test statistics for the optimal round for the performance you want to see from your personal protection ammo. Like Tex mentioned some people like a faster round some like a heavier round for impact. I myself don't care that much about speed I'm looking for maximum penetration through clothing and maximum expansion for more internal damage. The round I choose travels at 1300-1350 fps so unless they're more than 1/3 a mile away when I shoot (which I wouldn't) they wouldn't be able to move out of the way before they're hit multiple times. On the other hand if you were only going to use this round for home protection and you lived in an apartment community you may want a different round. Something lighter with greater expansion that would cause the energy to dump a lot quicker when you hit an object so you won't be shooting into your neighbors apartment if you were to miss. TNOUTDOORS9's Youtube Channel recreates many of those FBI tests on many different rounds and is worth checking out. That way you can see the actual test, the depth it traveled, the damage tract, how the round looked after it was cut out of the testing medium as well as the final weight of the round after extraction.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Unfortunately there's no one correct answer to that question. It all comes down to personal preference and mission specific ammunition. I would suggest checking out the FBI Terminal Ballistics Test statistics for the optimal round for the performance you want to see from your personal protection ammo. Like Tex mentioned some people like a faster round some like a heavier round for impact. I myself don't care that much about speed I'm looking for maximum penetration through clothing and maximum expansion for more internal damage. The round I choose travels at 1300-1350 fps so unless they're more than 1/3 a mile away when I shoot (which I wouldn't) they wouldn't be able to move out of the way before they're hit multiple times. On the other hand if you were only going to use this round for home protection and you lived in an apartment community you may want a different round. Something lighter with greater expansion that would cause the energy to dump a lot quicker when you hit an object so you won't be shooting into your neighbors apartment if you were to miss. TNOUTDOORS9's Youtube Channel recreates many of those FBI tests on many different rounds and is worth checking out. That way you can see the actual test, the depth it traveled, the damage tract, how the round looked after it was cut out of the testing medium as well as the final weight of the round after extraction.
+1 on tnoutdoors9 - great vids for sure!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
..... I am sure you will hear other opinions, but remember, shot placement is the key, a hit with a quality ammo is better than a miss or near hit with a 'Zombie' load..
Man... truer words have not been spoken on the subject...regardless of caliber, as well...! :)

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I like the hornady CD ammo; I have been shooting it for some time now. The filled tip aids in expansion and stops fragmentation when passing through hard objects and it also aids in penetration

NRA American rifleman had a good write up on it and showed testing on a multitude of barriers including glass, wood, sheet rock amongst other things and because of the core locking ring it retains most of its weight in the testing

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I like the Black Talon or the current version ranger T's. They turn into little saw blades and tear things up.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'll be glad when they come out with additional calibers in the CD stuff...might give it a look...love the Gold Dot LE 230's...picked up a bunch at $29/50 rds.
My LGS is always coming up with tons of special deals on ammo... :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I like Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo for short barrel guns. The short barrel ammo flowers better than the regular ammo in the short barrels.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First - I'd suggest buying your Gold Dots online (sgammo & ammunitiontogo are two good places) as you can buy them in 50-round boxes for just slightly more than the 20-round box.

Get the 124gr +p, practice with it, use it in all your 9mm Glocks, and don't worry about switching to a heavier weight in the winter. Just my opinion.
God I love this site.

I received a lot of good tips and info from here, and I just started using this site. I was just about to order ammo from a company that I previously used, but the prices on those sites are incredible. I just hope they ship as fast (got my items in 3 business days via UPS ground).

Uplula was another great tip I saw on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts