Glock Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dangerous situation.
Last night I was trying to unload my Glock 19 (gen 3) to put it in the safe.
I removed the magazine, then when I tried to rack the slide to clear the chamber, I could not pull the slide at all. It is stuck. It is about 1/8th of an inch retracted. It is noticeable in the front and the back of the slide. The guide rod looks in a weird position.

I'm getting ready to go to an armorer but wanted to know if there is anything I could do safely. I have a gun range in my backyard. All i've tried is racking the slide, but to no avail.

Thanks

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a dangerous situation.
Last night I was trying to unload my Glock 19 (gen 3) to put it in the safe.
I removed the magazine, then when I tried to rack the slide to clear the chamber, I could not pull the slide at all. It is stuck. It is about 1/8th of an inch retracted. It is noticeable in the front and the back of the slide. The guide rod looks in a weird position.

I'm getting ready to go to an armorer but wanted to know if there is anything I could do safely. I have a gun range in my backyard. All i've tried is racking the slide, but to no avail.

Thanks
Sounds to me like the guide rod might have somehow got out of alignment. I'm guessing you have pulled on it with all your strength (all the while pointing down range) but nothing. IMO, I would take it to a gunsmith. That's just me. I am not a gunsmith and with that kind of situation, I'm thinking that's the safest way! Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Have you cycled the pistol since you last had it apart, and reassembled it...? I realize the answer seems apparent, since it seems you loaded a mag, and I would think you might have chambered a round...If so, did you not notice anything different when you chambered it...?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Have you cycled the pistol since you last had it apart, and reassembled it...? I realize the answer seems apparent, since it seems you loaded a mag, and I wound think you might have chambered a round...If so, did you not notice anything different when you chambered it...?
That's a very good point!!

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Sounds like you put the slide on wrong and its jamming the slide from moving. without seeing it we can only guess as what to try. Your best bet is to try to get the rod guild back in place or at least compress it so you can unload the gun

·
Registered
960 Posts
Can you post a close-up picture of the gun?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Get some dummy ammo the type used for dry firing and load at lest 5 dummy rounds in a fresh mag and cycle the slide till all are ejected ...This my give you some insights to what's actually happening..

If there's is any doubts in your mind about safety don't hesitate to take it to a competent gunsmith...

Good Luck ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a defective round!!!!
I pulled the slide with all my might and it ejected.
Gun is in perfect working order. I cycled 14 rounds out of the same clip and the 15th (same round) caused the same problem.
I cant remember if it is HST 147gr or Speer Gold Dots. The round doesn't really say. Go figure, you get issues even with expensive "premium" ammo.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use the Gold dot +P 124 gr, all's been good so far ,maybe you just got a bad round......
I would got to the range and fire off the rest of the box ,I know their expensive and if all is well buy a new box and call it a day...

I have a G-19 too and it has never let me down its a great gun , enjoy it and safe shooting... :)

·
Registered
960 Posts
It was a defective round!!!!
I pulled the slide with all my might and it ejected.
Gun is in perfect working order. I cycled 14 rounds out of the same clip and the 15th (same round) caused the same problem.
I cant remember if it is HST 147gr or Speer Gold Dots. The round doesn't really say. Go figure, you get issues even with expensive "premium" ammo.
Um, IMO, if you got that defective round out, I really don't think it's ever a good idea to try to cycle that round again. I mean, I understand that it was the last round to load, but I personally would have just disposed of it immediately, which, in my case, the police station is less than 1 mile from my house so they gladly take them off my hands!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, IMO, if you got that defective round out, I really don't think it's ever a good idea to try to cycle that round again. I mean, I understand that it was the last round to load, but I personally would have just disposed of it immediately, which, in my case, the police station is less than 1 mile from my house so they gladly take them off my hands!
The round did not show any apparent defects. That's why I try to cycle the whole clip. I came to know it was the reound when it happened the second time. Still doesn't show any dents, kinks or deformities.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hold it up against another "fresh" round...is it shorter than the new round? I've seen occasions where a round that has been chambered/ejected several times will become "distorted"...not obviously, but distorted, none the less...Seems strange that you wouldn't have noticed when you chambered...it obviously didn't fully chamber when you loaded it...glad you didn't need it... and glad you got it figured out...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
The bottom of the round should have the manufacturer's mark on it ("Fed", "Speer", etc.). Call them. They'll want to know about it and should replace the whole box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts