Glock Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys had any, how would you store your small arms ammo? If someone bought in bulk (1000+ rounds) would you leave it in the 100 round boxes and put it in a ammo can or would you dump it from the box to the can?
Also anyone have a recommendation for cartridge boxes. The MTM 50 / 100 rd plastic ones look good but I see other brands.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
All of mine went to the bottom of a river with all my guns...However...if I did have some, personally I'd keep it boxed in cans...thats just me...if I did have some...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
All of mine went to the bottom of a river with all my guns...However...if I did have some, personally I'd keep it boxed in cans...thats just me...if I did have some...:rolleyes:
Same here. If I did own thousands if rounds if ammo, I'd keep them in the factory cardboard and store those in surplus ammo cans. Sportsmans Guide has them for $10 each right now.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have a bunch of GI cans that I have had for years and I put the cartridge boxes in them. I also add packets of desiccant to the cans.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have a bunch of GI cans that I have had for years and I put the cartridge boxes in them. I also add packets of desiccant to the cans.
Excellent point...If I had ammo I'd put dessicant packets with them, also.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Excellent point...If I had ammo I'd put dessicant packets with them, also.
I doubt that dessiccant would work at the bottom of a river, though I guess it couild if the cans were well sealed.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I doubt that dessiccant would work at the bottom of a river, though I guess it couild if the cans were well sealed.
The only thing that works well at the bottom of the river is a catfish, lol. :(
Maybe if I had used scotchguard...or is that just for fabrics...:confused:

Or that flexseal stuff they spray on the screen door boat bottom, lol :p
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofMwxrWDUmQ

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For all you guys that lost ammo in those terrible boating accidents I am sorry. If I had ammo you could sure share it with me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
People always seem to be giving me old ammo cans. Most are old 30cal ones. I keep all my ammo in cans except what I want handy for the range. That I keep in a dresser drawer (less than 400 rounds).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I found that if you have more ammo than you will pre-load in magazines it's more space saving to package the rounds in specified increments in plastic storage bags based on your particular need for specific Firearms. I then place the bags in a 30cal-50cal ammo can. It takes up much less space than boxes. Package the amount you want in a bag is nice for example if your carry load for a G27 is 3 mags then you could load your bags for the G27 with 30 rounds so you know how many load outs you have by bag.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I found that if you have more ammo than you will pre-load in magazines it's more space saving to package the rounds in specified increments in plastic storage bags based on your particular need for specific Firearms. I then place the bags in a 30cal-50cal ammo can. It takes up much less space than boxes. Package the amount you want in a bag is nice for example if your carry load for a G27 is 3 mags then you could load your bags for the G27 with 30 rounds so you know how many load outs you have by bag.
That's very logical and organized there, ZK. You're going to give Glock owners a bad name by being all efficient :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I found thousands of rounds at the bottom of a local river. They were all sealed in ammo cans with dissicant and sprayed with felxseal. Im just glad they asked how to properly seal the ammo cans and where to hide them all. You guys are awesome!

(I keep mine in factory boxes in ammo cans) If I had any that is!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I found thousands of rounds at the bottom of a local river. They were all sealed in ammo cans with dissicant and sprayed with felxseal. Im just glad they asked how to properly seal the ammo cans and where to hide them all. You guys are awesome!

(I keep mine in factory boxes in ammo cans) If I had any that is!
lol... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
That's very logical and organized there, ZK. You're going to give Glock owners a bad name by being all efficient :)
Yeah, I'm a bit anal sometimes :) but being that way has paid off in the past. Besides I was a Boy Scout too. "Be Prepared"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back before I donated all my firearms to the Salvation Army(I heard they were low in munitions),I ONLY bought ammo at the range and shot it all while I was at the range. No sense in carrying that heavy/dangerous stuff home right?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I have heard of one guy that uses a seal-a-meal to vacuum seal ammo. I for one have ammo that is 25 years old and shoots fine. Remember to store in a cool/dry place and it will last for years. One thing I like to do is date my boxes as I buy them so I use the oldest stuff first

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I have heard of one guy that uses a seal-a-meal to vacuum seal ammo. I for one have ammo that is 25 years old and shoots fine. Remember to store in a cool/dry place and it will last for years. One thing I like to do is date my boxes as I buy them so I use the oldest stuff first
Hmmm..seal-a-meal...That would work well, I suppose...But like yourself, I have shot some really old stuff that has served well at the range, and in the field
as well...

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
I had a guy give me some ww2 ammo one time and I took it up to the red river (tex/olk) and shot one round. you could hear it pushing down the barrel like hot water through old plumbing and pop (not bang). Some say they could actually see it as it went down range. I threw the rest of that stuff away before some lodged in the barrel

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I had a guy give me some ww2 ammo one time and I took it up to the red river (tex/olk) and shot one round. you could hear it pushing down the barrel like hot water through old plumbing and pop (not bang). Some say they could actually see it as it went down range. I threw the rest of that stuff away before some lodged in the barrel
lol...wow, no doubt...did you have to change clothes, too...?...that would be un-nerving
I guess you really wouldn't have time to think about it until it was all over...still, that would be scarey..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts