Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.357 barrel arrives tomorrow for my Glock 27 gen4. I've heard nothing but positive about the round (excluding price...not so positive). Very much looking forward to shooting, and carrying it.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Let us know how you like it. I'd look into reloading to save on ammo cost of you shoot a lot. I know some people even use .40 brass but I've never reloaded the sig round just the magnum...

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I'd be interested in a report as well, as I'm considering this caliber too...

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
As the Forum regulars probably know, I am a big fan of the 357 auto, great ballistics, flat shooting and to me the recoil is more pleasant than the 40 cal.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
As the Forum regulars probably know, I am a big fan of the 357 auto, great ballistics, flat shooting and to me the recoil is more pleasant than the 40 cal.
This. It's fun to shoot and an excellent SD round.

Ammo is better bought online: ~$.35/round for FMJ & ~$.52/round for HP last time I stocked up.

Did you get any .357 SIG mags?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
.357 barrel arrives tomorrow for my Glock 27 gen4. I've heard nothing but positive about the round (excluding price...not so positive). Very much looking forward to shooting, and carrying it.
The 40cal mags work just fine with the 357auto rounds BTW.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love the round. Shoots like a laser beam...really. My first mag, all ten shots were within 2" at 21 feet. Recoil is slightly greater than 180 grain .40. I called Glock to inquire about the mags before I went to shoot. They said the only difference between .40 and .357 mags is the follower. I did purchase a .357 mag. Out of 150 rds, in a gun that's never failed, I had one feed failure...and it was in a .40 mag. Not sure though, it might have been an ammo issue. Upon inspection of the bad round, it looks like the casing lip around the bullet is really rough. Winchester wb. Overall, I seem to be more accurate with the .357. Ammo is VERY expensive. You'd go broke shooting on a regular bases, unless you reload, or order online in bulk...which is what I might do. Either that, or carry the .357, and practice with .40.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
wow...awesome, and thanks for the report... seriously considering a .357Sig...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One other issue...the slide seems slightly harder to rack. Like there's friction between the top of the barrel and the slide. A little concerned about that.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Love the round. Shoots like a laser beam...really. My first mag, all ten shots were within 2" at 21 feet. Recoil is slightly greater than 180 grain .40. I called Glock to inquire about the mags before I went to shoot. They said the only difference between .40 and .357 mags is the follower. I did purchase a .357 mag. Out of 150 rds, in a gun that's never failed, I had one feed failure...and it was in a .40 mag. Not sure though, it might have been an ammo issue. Upon inspection of the bad round, it looks like the casing lip around the bullet is really rough. Winchester wb. Overall, I seem to be more accurate with the .357. Ammo is VERY expensive. You'd go broke shooting on a regular bases, unless you reload, or order online in bulk...which is what I might do. Either that, or carry the .357, and practice with .40.
I think it's worth it to have separate mags. I know the .40 mags will work, but I like the ammo inside the mag to match what's stamped outside the mag :)

Ammo shouldn't be that expensive. Locally - yes. WWB is $.60/round at Walmart here and that's just crazy. Check out sgammo - I've found Speer Lawman as low as $17 for a box of 50 there. They also carry the good Gold Dot ammo, and I've found that for as low as $25 for a box of 50.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
One other issue...the slide seems slightly harder to rack. Like there's friction between the top of the barrel and the slide. A little concerned about that.
Can't think of any reason why racking would be different. Did you lightly lube the barrel?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I can't think of a reason either, but it is.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't think of any reason why racking would be different. Did you lightly lube the barrel?
Yep...everything well oiled.

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Put some calipers to the barrel and see if there is any difference. Remember the barrel moves in the slide and drops to assist in feeding. When the slide is in the rear position so there might be some binding

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Put some calipers to the barrel and see if there is any difference. Remember the barrel moves in the slide and drops to assist in feeding. When the slide is in the rear position so there might be some binding
Right...and it's at that dropping point where there is a very slight hang up. It is a Glock barrel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts