Glock Forum banner

reliability? unjacketed vs jacketed ammo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many say that Glocks will chew through anything you put in it, but what is your preference when you are going to lay down 500+ rounds and want to be accurate at the range? Do you feel unjacketed rounds are less accurate, less expensive, and less clean than the jacketed FMJs?

·
Registered
21,518 Posts
Glock’s are recommended to use jacked bullets in their barrels. The jacketed bullet creates a gas seal in the barrel for better velocity’s and bullet stability

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you're going to do 500 rounds at one setting, the jacketed is probably the best. If you're running lead reloads, keep the velocity at 1000fps or less to keep leading to a bare minimum. As for lead being less accurate, I shot competition for years in PPC (.38spec) and IPSC (.45auto) using either bullets I cast myself or commercially swedged and they were every bit as accurate as jacketed rounds.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If you're going to do 500 rounds at one setting, the jacketed is probably the best. If you're running lead reloads, keep the velocity at 1000fps or less to keep leading to a bare minimum. As for lead being less accurate, I shot competition for years in PPC (.38spec) and IPSC (.45auto) using either bullets I cast myself or commercially swedged and they were every bit as accurate as jacketed rounds.
I remember shooting IPSC back in the 70's using lead 45acp semi-wadcutters and they were accurate although I was always not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Non jacketed bullets are not recommended for use in polygonal rifling. This of course due to lead build up which in the end may cause catastrophic failure. If you want to regularly use lead, by you an aftermarket barrel with normal rifling. And just so you are aware, the aftermarket barrel will have better all around support for the case allowing you to up the pressures and shoot hotter loads without the danger of blowing out a case. That info is for you if you roll your own:)!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
All the times I needed my side arm its been within 5 yards of the other person. It's hard to miss a large torso at 5 yards. If you cant hit that than IMO you shouldn't be carrying a weapon. Train how you fight. JHP and FMJ are accurate at that range. If your carrying +p rounds then you should train a little with your carry rounds because they will kick a little more than non +p rounds. Walmart white box are the cheapest FMJ's to train with right now. Federal and Tula are impossible to find. But yeah put your target ( the size of a torso) 5 yards infront of you and train that way. Further than 5 yards I would take cover and defend. Wait till your attacker advances on you, his shots will be inaccurate while he is moving and shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts