Glock Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im sure most of you have heard/seen the polishing of the trigger connector/bar, and Im sure some of you have tried it with success. I did, until the other day at my Advanced pistol training class. I brought my 17 and I had polished the trigger components. I slap a full mag in it, assume the ready position, draw, and fire 3 round bursts at the first steel plate. Ive had it happen before and thought it was just a quirk. Aquire sight picture on the second plate and then a 4 round burst. This is where the instructor, also a friend of mine asks what the hell I did. I told him, and he let me use his lower from his gun. I ran through around 1000 rounds, learned a bunch from the class, and at 15 yards on 8 6" plates, I shaved off about 9 seconds off my average time for 4 runs. gained a whole new level of confidence, and also learned I needed to replace my trigger bar assembly. I am replacing it and not going to polish anything.

I HAVE destroyed the bad part and it is no longer in my possesion.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Sound to me like you now have a G18 :). The polish job shouldn't have caused that behavior. I would say that maybe something didn't seat properly when you reassembled causing the trigger bar to not reset. If anything the polish job would have caused the trigger bar to reset faster and more properly.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Hmmm...we all know of my love for the G18...could this be the Po' mans answer...? lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hmmm...we all know of my love for the G18...could this be the Po' mans answer...? lol
+1 on that. The wheels are turning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sound to me like you now have a G18 :). The polish job shouldn't have caused that behavior. I would say that maybe something didn't seat properly when you reassembled causing the trigger bar to not reset. If anything the polish job would have caused the trigger bar to reset faster and more properly.
Yeah, shouldn't have had that problem due to polishing. I'm thinking something didn't seat right like ZK said.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ive had it apart probably 20 times, everything was put back the same as every other time. I know it didnt cause it, but It was the first time using FrogLube on this gun. Maybe Froglube really is magical. Ha!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Ive had it apart probably 20 times, everything was put back the same as every other time. I know it didnt cause it, but It was the first time using FrogLube on this gun. Maybe Froglube really is magical. Ha!
On my way out the door to buy some right now, lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did the same polish job on my Glock the night before a match and the trigger felt great. Next day shot @ PBA match and got 3 and 4 round burst on FBI type targets all my shot were good but it shocked the heck out of me. RO was LEO and let me finish the match with his Glock . Luckily for me He was an armorer for his PD and he changed out my parts. Obviously I never got my original parts back but I noticed the PD issued parts he gave me were sturdier and stiffer than my original parts. I now know why my Glock went into burst mode. The head of the cruciform where it touches the striker should not be polished because any change on that edge will make your Glock go burp. Because I did The exact same Polish Job on the New Parts except I stayed clear of that Edge and My Glock hasn't had a BURP Fire Episode since . Hope this helps I'm told this not uncommon when messing around with sear angles on Glocks.

Reactions: john51277

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Did the same polish job on my Glock the night before a match and the trigger felt great. Next day shot @ PBA match and got 3 and 4 round burst on FBI type targets all my shot were good but it shocked the heck out of me. RO was LEO and let me finish the match with his Glock . Luckily for me He was an armorer for his PD and he changed out my parts. Obviously I never got my original parts back but I noticed the PD issued parts he gave me were sturdier and stiffer than my original parts. I now know why my Glock went into burst mode. The head of the cruciform where it touches the striker should not be polished because any change on that edge will make your Glock go burp. Because I did The exact same Polish Job on the New Parts except I stayed clear of that Edge and My Glock hasn't had a BURP Fire Episode since . Hope this helps I'm told this not uncommon when messing around with sear angles on Glocks.
If polishing the head of the cruciform works consistently, then it looks like we now have a path to a poor mans G18 :) nice to know for when TSHTF

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please Be Aware that this Can Destroy your Glock and Earn You The Nickname STUMPY. If you use spam can ammo or "reloads" from a Gun Show You might end up with a Kaboom. IMO "civilian" marketed Glocks might not be as heavy duty as LEO/Military or It might just be your luck. And even if it works consistently the parts will eventually wear and You will have a RunAway.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Please Be Aware that this Can Destroy your Glock and Earn You The Nickname STUMPY. If you use spam can ammo or "reloads" from a Gun Show You might end up with a Kaboom. IMO "civilian" marketed Glocks might not be as heavy duty as LEO/Military or It might just be your luck. And even if it works consistently the parts will eventually wear and You will have a RunAway.
I'm buying Blue Label Glocks, but there shouldn't be any difference in quality of factory parts...at least from what I was previously told by some "in the know"...regardless, I wouldn't shoot "spam can" ammo, or reloads...from anywhere...in my Glocks...and especially in the factory barrels... just my .02

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I've never heard of LEO Glocks being any different from 'civilian' Glocks they sell. I only use my own reloads which always worked fine.

As for the bursts, alterations to the sear on any gun can cause that.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've never heard of LEO Glocks being any different from 'civilian' Glocks they sell. I only use my own reloads which always worked fine.

As for the bursts, alterations to the sear on any gun can cause that.
The Glocks I have owned though departments were the same as civilian models except they came standard with night sites, but a civ can get that too. I buffed my sear and didn't have the problem but then I only hit it a couple of times I didn't stay on it too long. I would imaging that taking too much material off could have an unexpected results

·
Registered
649 Posts
[video=youtube;MawzcjM5dYc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MawzcjM5dYc&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Reposted from another post of mine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

In every forum, usually about once a week, someone starts a 25 cent trigger job thread.

I have been in the middle of many of these, and it always ends up with people ticked, people mad, and sometimes members banned.

For the hundreds of people that safely roll through stop signs, there are a hand full of folks that get t-boned.

The safe side of the argument, is no not polish anything inside a gun. Ever. This is Armorer / Gunsmith territory.

The free spirited side of the coin says, go ahead, buy a dremel tool, and go to town.

I say, be safe, not sorry.

Here is what it can look like if something goes wrong

https://sp3.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608046319930051203&pid=15.1

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There is quite a bit of truth in what he says but there are much better sights than those pieces of plastic that come on a Glock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I agree but I still improved after the 25 cent deal. It's polishing. Not removing metal. Difference. Best wishes and good shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sounds like you did a little more then just the polish job. Be careful if you start changing the shape of that trigger bar. I've done the .25 job on everyone of my glocks and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts